Any easy way to make walls non-walkable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I assume it's due to some tileset not having an 'x'? But is the only way to find the specific one and mark it? Because I thought I had it and didn't seem to do much...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, most likely you're mistaking ceiling tiles for wall tiles.

Please take a good look at how the three double-rows of A4 tiles appear in the editor window.
While the entire sheet is called "walls" in the database, in reality it consists of three rows of walls with three rows of top/ceiling tiles to be placed above them.

The ceiling tiles have a special passability to simulate a two-level dungeon where you can climb to the top of the walls and walk above them. That is why they always need a true walltile below them, and only if you place an override (for example a ladder) on the wall below the actors can climb up to the top of the walls.

And what you describe is often caused when someone uses a ceiling tile for a wall, which it was never intended to. And in the editor the tiles oftenlook like the top and side of a tower exactly to display that correlation.

auradev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I assume it's due to some tileset not having an 'x'? But is the only way to find the specific one and mark it? Because I thought I had it and didn't seem to do much...
Also check if you are decorating a wall with a walkable tile. I think that one also makes it walkable.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've merely used the 'studio apartment' sample map... does it use ceilings for walls?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
only where it is the correct use. I just tested that map myself and I haven't found a way to pass the walls - but the map does use a certain mapping way that makes the two side-rooms inaccessible by default as you'll need events to go through the supposed door-positions.
and if you changed the original tileset passability to get through there instead of using events, then you can easily break the passability on such maps.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
How? I don't know what happened, but I suspect it's got to do with trying some other sets that might have interfered...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't tell without knowing what exactly was changed - there are too many possibilities.

My suggestion would be to make a new project, load the map into that project and then compare all settings to find what was changed.
after that come back here again to get help to make proper doors for those two walls that need to become passable to gain access to the siderooms.

Personally? I consider that way of mapping with hiding side doorways idiotic, and the only way I know how to do this would require several modifications to the tileset as well, so I would suggest waiting for someone else to show you how to handle it after you repaired the map and tileset.

auradev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
How? I don't know what happened, but I suspect it's got to do with trying some other sets that might have interfered...
Have you tried recreating a new empty project with just that sample map?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You haven't set the passability on the top left B tile to an O, have you? (I don't actually know if you can, but that was a common cause of being able to walk where you shouldn't in previous engines)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You haven't set the passability on the top left B tile to an O, have you?
not possible in MZ
that problem is in VXAce and was in the earlier MV versions, but is one of the few suggestions that were implemented in later MV versions and probably from the beginning in MZ - that tile is fixed to star and can't be changed anymore

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's strange how walls are suddenly solid as soon as I test mz3d...

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unless you start telling us what tilesets you're using, what passage settings you have, what plugins are installed and answering some of the other questions here and trying some of the other suggestions and reporting results, there's not much we can do to help you.

10 posts in and still no screenshots ...

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is for:
RPGMZ_SfmhNNAYST.png
Which I can't seem to find among:
RPGMZ_T22gBNBfQ6.png
RPGMZ_dU5nXw8eTL.png
Also, the the bricks on the right seem to be there with an x, but they're still passable...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) your screenshots are partially useless because you cut away the important parts.

2) that said, your comments show that you are still missing even the basics of how mapping works.
Because I can see the tile that is used on your map cutout in your tileset screenshot, it's the ceiling tile that is in the third colum, seventh position from top.

And the most probable reason for being unable to identify it is that you have no experience in the behaviour of autotiles.

As for the passability behaviour - that is the normal behaviour for ceiling tiles, which again you would have learned by now if you took time to work through the basic tutorials.
To give you the specific point: it is (for example) explained in the seventh tip (third part/post) of my starting point tutorial.
just follow the link to that tutorial, and if you are too afraid of text to read it completely then scroll down to that tip and read at least that part of it.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree about the tile Andar identified. That is not a wall tile, but a ceiling (or top of wall) tile. If the player can get onto it from any direction, they can walk around on it. They can access/leave it from below, but not from the sides or above unless you provide a way to do it.

Notice that the tiles in the A4 sheet come in pairs. Each tile in odd-numbered rows is one of these ceiling / top of wall tiles. The tiles in the even-numbered rows is the matching wall-face tile. These cannot be walked on, and are usually drawn on the map below the ceiling tiles. That's what stops you getting access to the ceiling tiles.

The passage settings you put on these tiles doesn't matter - the engine has its own internal way of determining passage based on it being an odd row in the A4 slot.

It's doing exactly what it's meant to be doing.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Why would they not be passable with mz3d then?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
because that plugin kicks out and replaces the entire regular passaibility code

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
By the way, this identified the grey tile, but what about the one with the black middle?

lesbrarians

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By the grey tile, do you mean the one with the bricks in your screenshot? If so, then you misread what Andar said. Andar told you that the tile with the black middle was "the ceiling tile that is in the third colum, seventh position from top." Which is correct, because it's an autotile and that's how autotiles work. The grey tile with bricks is a different tile. Your screenshot shows two different tiles. I've labeled them as 1. and 2. below. I've also labeled where you can find Tile 1 on the tilesheet, and Tile 2 on the tilesheet.

1632146686884.png

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, it's a square as a single tile... looks like a long rectangle with multiples...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?
I don't know what I'm doing :D
So got my hearing tested to see if it was the cause of my mishearing what people say. Test showed no problems but talked with the doctor about anxiety and ADHD causing hearing issues and she agreed and also added that some people hear things differently. With my anxiety cause I am in fight or flight I pay attention to all the sounds in the area so body knows when react. Can't pay attention to one source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MythologixGD