Any news when winners are announced?

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Tiarali, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    It happened to me on multiple occasions that I trash a game immediately when they do it. 

If it doesn't crash, it takes 15 minutes to get out of black screen. That's what I hate about RMXP games the most too.

It's dangerous to assume everyone has a strong pc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  2. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What category were you judging again?  :p

3. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    RPG.

4. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, now I'm curious if you trashed Unraveled within the first 10 seconds. xD Never did get that reply regarding whether it passed the prelims or not.

5. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    As a judge, no. But as the easiest way to piss me off and make me extremely critical of a game. Yes :'D

6. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Haha, I'll take it. Love critical players. xD

7. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    I tend to Alt+F4 games that force fullscreen - even ones I've paid for via steam. It bugs me more than full-party paralysis spells, slow walk speed and blockland all together.

That said, I didn't take points off for it when judging because it's a personal preference and I kept those out of judging except in the fun factor part ... unless it lagged my machine to hell and back. That said, Alt+Enter is a friend to all RM players who hate fullscreen, except when it locks you into that full screen. :/

:/

Oh, but dear god, did I love the hell out of that script that made a larger window with the F6. Thank youuuuu whoever made it. I love youuuuuuu<3

EternalShadow likes this.
  8. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's peculiar full screen makes your computer lag more. s__s It does the exact opposite for me, possibly because my computer grants a higher priority to full-screen applications.

Anyhow the next RPG Maker really needs to have that stuff fixed. Higher resolution, video card support, higher frame rate. <3 ^-^

Btw, I'm surprised judges don't have access to high-end computers. I would've imagined that to be a requirement for judging. If a game lags because the computer used is just rather bad, it shouldn't get penalized for that. Unless the lag is obviously caused by the developer's neglectance (i.e. throwing a buttload of useless visual scripts together such as lighting, shadows, blur, multiple overlays, yadda yadda).

Not that it matters to me because I added a graphics setting to our game for low-end computers, but just my opinion. :9

@Ksi: What game locked you in full screen without giving an option to switch to windowed? o__o I didn't encounter any.

9. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What is "blockland"?  I imagine that's perfectly square or rectangular land formations, but I might be missing something.

10. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's a magical world full of unicorns and cats and lots of random objects all over the place that block the player's path. Maybe. :9

11. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You might be right. Maybe I'm going mad.  :p

12. Ksi

First Language:
    English
    Block Land... was a game that was wonderfully rage-inducing that I LT'd years ago and left a profound impression on me. Much profound, very impression.

Not in the competition, Cinnamon, but some RM games in the past have pulled the trick of locking you into fullscreen. In fact, it was during an RM event, I believe, a few years back. The game itself was decent and interesting but the fact that you couldn't even tab out (and thus, couldn't take notes about the game until after it was completed :/ ) was just... just horrifying. Imagine, if you will, the Judge - having the game force itself into full screen. Imagine her valiant effort to Alt+Enter into window mode, only to have it denied. Puzzled, but not a little annoyed, she continues with the game when, lo and behold, a spelling error! With a gasp of surprised exclaimation she attempts to make a note of it in the notepad she'd set up just for the game when, alack! Alas! Horror of all horrors! The game refuses to tab out! In shock she tries over and over, desperate to log the error. Again and again she is denied the basic human right to tab into the other program. Imagine her sorrow, her rage, her malcontent when she must Alt+F4 the game (which hadn't had a save point yet :\ ) in order to note the mistake, then find some paper and a working pen (always impossible) to make physical notes with instead.

To be fair, I encountered little lag on my end bar one game and I know for fact that was my computer and not the game (it was very small lag for how much was going on and thus didn't mark it against the game). As much as I complain about my computer it's capable enough - it can run modded minecraft and firefox at the same time (I watch movies while minecrafting) and other high-end games like Sims 4, Skyrim and the like run on it pretty well, so~ (Not bad for a computer that I bought second-hand in 2010! Though I did update it a bit since I bought it - mainly graphics and sound.)

It just has some RAM issues that make some programs not work (like Skype ;.; - IDEK, it just hates it) hence why a new computer is slated for in the future. ^.^

13. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

That's good to hear about your computer! =D You can do some really evil things with RPG Maker, oho.

Edit at your edit: Did you make that video? You sound so young. : o That accent tho. <3 Lmao, when that window skin randomly starts appearing at 10:15.

Edit 2: Wow, you gradually spiral into frustration and insanity in the second LT Block Land video, hahaha.

14. Ksi

First Language:
    English
    There's I think four or five all up. I didn't learn my lesson in the first two and went back. And yeah, those are about 2010-ish. I was about... uh, 26-27-ish? Around that age. Time really flies. >.<;

15. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Cinammon: It's always safe to assume that your audience is playing your game out of a toaster, so that way you aren't alienating anyone.  Alt-Enter has been drilled into the community's head as full screen XD

Ksi...uh...what script was that again? I need it for... research...purposes... 8D

NickMakesGames likes this.
  16. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/14081-fullscreen/

B.Ultimus likes this.
  17. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Except that's not entirely possible if you want to make a very pretty looking game. xD Well, I did take it into consideration by adding graphics configuration. But of course RPG Maker doesn't have the capabilities to automatically adjust those based on the computer running it, so the player'll have to do that themselves if they encounter lag.

As for full-screen that's really tricky... I have four laptops. On two (including my main one) it works perfectly. On another it stretches horizontally to fit the entire screen, and on the fourth it doesn't increase in size at all -- just everything around it becomes black. So the mechanics are a bit dodgy. On the other hand I'm a firm believer that games should always start full screen the first time. If a game doesn't do that I will think it's some cheap hobby project and my opinion of it will (irrationally, albeit mostly justified) plummet into negativity.

Like, even if the full screen doesn't work 100%, it will give me the feeling of "wow, a game is actually starting! it's drawing all my focus in!". Then after my initial impression I can always switch to windowed mode, given that it's provided in an easily accessible location.

I have no idea if VX (Ace) has the same issue, but because of its less-than-great mapping system I've never considered using it. :c

Edit: ooh, pretty script up there. wish something like that would work with xp.

18. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Everyone's video cards handle full screen differently, that's why it's so dangerous.  I, personally, play all my RM games on full screen, but there's always that lag before it finalizes.  If the game is windowed and I alt-enter, I don't mind the wait, but I get annoyed when a game tries to do it for me.

19. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm used to loading screens so I don't mind the wait. As long as it doesn't crash the game. I forgot what the error was called exactly because I scripted a workaround, but sometimes if you change to full screen the game will hang and end. You probably know what I'm referring to.

20. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Ksi 

Your reviews of Block Land were hilarious.  The game, well, I see how it seems to embody a lot of "What not to do." 

At least it makes me feel a lot better about my first game effort, flawed though it is.  :)

Cinnamon likes this.