Any news when winners are announced?

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Tiarali, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Sailerius

Sailerius Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The trouble with full screen is that there's an extremely loud and extremely large swath of the population that will hate you if your game automatically starts in full screen, and another, equally loud and equally large one that will hate you if it doesn't.

Luckily Unity has found a middle ground on the battlefield with a launcher that asks if you want it to run full screen.

bgillisp and NickMakesGames like this.
  2. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Let's just move all of our games to Occulus Rift. Problem solved.

3. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm thinking of using the Fullscreen++ script with the new Ace resolution DLL (Archeia's) with something on the menu saying 'Press F5 to Fullscreen' so that either camp can do whatever they want, as Ace has no launcher like Unity.

Geoff Moore likes this.
  4. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hopefully no one actually lost points cause a judge didn't like their choice of screen mode.

5. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Amen. That wouldn't be very professional.

6. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    I doubt it. I'm pretty sure we all know the difference between personal preference and game issue. ^.^

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Listened to the Blockland videos today in my free time...wow! Maybe that video should be required watching for what not to do when making a game.

whitesphere and EternalShadow like this.
  8. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Legend of Soul Reaver, Future Helper and the Seven Towers, and Land of Vruim are much worse.

9. NickMakesGames

NickMakesGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    so. I don't suppose anybody is/has recently been in touch with any of the celebrity judges, have they?

10. Ksi

First Language:
    English
    Check my LPs for Megaman GX. Also, Future Helper was great in that it was at least so bad it was funny. Yeah, I've an LT of that, too. (And the creator actually listened to feedback and has grown a lot as a developer. The creator of Block Land raged because people pointed out that they could get stuck in corners. He said they were deliberately doing it so that they could say the game was bad. (I also, personally, made him a tile to fix the water edging glitch and he basically threw it in my face and said they were supposed to be like that (the pulsing corners that are messed up))). Another funny LT is The Heir of the King which was omg. >.<;

As for hearing from the celebrity judges, no idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  11. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I checked out some of these today, and some feel like there was potential, just...problems (forgetting to set switches, looooooooong cut scene, bad grammar/spelling, etc). Though I will say during one of those videos I did find myself wondering if the game was made in one weekend using the RTP alone.

Say....that might be an idea for a new contest. 48 hours, make a game, using only the RTP and the generators. Then again, the judges would probably see so many uses of the dungeon generator they would want to vomit before it was over.

12. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I have and just be reminded that I can't disclose ALL information. But I can guarantee they are upto speed. The issues over results is external.

13. Ksi

First Language:
    English
    Good to hear, Nessy~

(I wanna skype wit' you guys so badly ;.; :hugs: gonna steal my bros computer tomorrow when he visits!)

Caz and Archeia like this.
  14. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's a funny contradiction about fullscreen - I feel it does create the better play experience (especially in games where resolution affects how much of the screen you can see, instead of just blowing everything up) - but if you're trying to do other things on your computer as you play - such as make notes on the game - fullscreen is just the seventh layer of hell.

Archeia likes this.
  15. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It sounds like the moral of the story is:

When using RPG Maker, first download and play through at least one or two of the unencrypted, free RPG Maker games.

Then, look at some of the LT's of games like Blockland, to see what to avoid and why.

Then, do the tutorials in RPG Maker.

Make the game. 

Objectively listen to any and all constructive criticism.  Implement any changes that are reasonable for the current game, and remember any recommendations that aren't reasonable (i.e. creating custom art if you're not artistically inclined), and implement them when possible.

It doesn't guarantee you'll make a masterpiece, but at the very least it won't make people run in terror from your game.

16. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    hm. That's very vague, although probably by design, haha.

Just to make sure I haven't misinterpreted anything, you're saying that the celebrity judges have picked their favorites, the primary judges have finished their work, and now there's just one final, undisclosed issue to tackle?

I'd like to relay this news over the the Disqus comment section on the contest homepage, but I don't want to do so misinformed.

17. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wait, so all the results are actually out but there's some external issue or technicality preventing the contest host from posting the results? Er.

18. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I can't tell you exactly why there's delay.

Primary judges finished judging a while ago. I remember tweeting my impressions over games (without disclosing information) and nearly going crazy in the process.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  19. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Any estimate on the length of the delay? A week? 2 weeks?

20. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    Well what else can you tell us? Can you explain why this information must be kept secret? Can you estimate the likelihood of further delays? Can you confirm or deny the rumors about judges having lost access to the website?

Furthermore, perhaps you could speak with the real bigwigs and see if there are any minor details at all about the results (such as who passed the prelims) that could be revealed?