Any news when winners are announced?

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Tiarali, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm honestly unable to really estimate. The primary thing is waiting on the humble judges at this time for us at RMW. I would love to have a definite date, but all that giving a date now with the information I have would do is make it even worse if we miss that date. Its not something within my control.

I'd like to apologize for the issues we had with this contest. I know the timeline wasn't ideal. I also know that a ton of work was put into every entry. I wish there was some amount of work I could do right now that would fix the problems, but I'm really only able to really wait and assure you that we are doing what we can, and that as soon as the humble judges are done, we will be moving forward as fast as we can.

I will look into getting the site changed to reflect the timeline change. I personally don't have access to that, but I will get in touch with those who can. (The judges didn't lose access to the site, the judges were never directly in control of the site. We have a webteam for that, and there may have been a breakdown in communication between our contest lead and the web team. I'll see about getting it fixed.)

I'm really not sure what it is you think we are keeping secret, I've tried to be transparent about it. I am trying to say as little as possible about the illness of one of the judges, but that is because it is a personal matter, and not something I feel comfortable talking about for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  2. catchthefloaty

catchthefloaty Villager Member

Is there something special keeping the humble team from finishing? Deckiller stated they had been given the finalists almost a month ago.

NickMakesGames likes this.
  3. NickMakesGames

NickMakesGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The only reason that my tone comes off as being suspicious of you holding secrets is because a judge has just recently posted, fairly explicitly, that there are secrets that they have to withhold from us. I understand that there are privacy issues to manage, but I think we deserve more than one sentence replies without having to beg for more. (Although I am gracious that you have given us more details after the initial post.)

I'm also a bit confused/skeptical of your post, as it seems to have a bit of a conflict with Archeia's post from about a week ago, claiming that all but celebrity judging has been completed. Now you're telling us that there was actually more official judging that needed to be taken care of, as well. I'd like to write this off as just another in the large list of miscommunications, but that's still a very bad thing. The judging team should be more well informed of what's going on with this contest, <i>especially</i> if they are going to be expressing that information to participants.

Lastly, there is no shortage of ways that you could try to make this up to us. You could, as I mentioned earlier, throw us a bone and reveal the prelim stats early (unless you're nervous that would reduce buzz, as people who did not pass would stop caring). You could try distributing the participation prizes to contestants early so that we at least have something to show for these months of waiting. At the <i>very</i> least, you could dig through your bookmarks and post some kind of funny gif for us to look at while we wait.

4. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
  5. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Celebrity and Humble Judges were all done after the main judging. The four judges brought in by Degica and associated with these forums are done. The humble judges and celebrity judges judged a small small fraction of what we did, only the ones we ranked near the top. I'm 99% sure that Archeia and I were talking about the same people when we mentioned that the main judging was finished.

There really is nothing I can say except that if I had the information you seem to want, I would give it to you? We got the official judging done somewhat late, so the celebs/humble judges didn't get them as early as we had hoped, I can tell you parts of the reasons for that. I mean, if you really want me to tell the fun story of having to move out of a house with a family a week before your new house is available with almost zero warning, I can do that, but I don't see what that will accomplish.

Delays happened. Celebs and Humble Judges are what we are waiting on at this time. Nothing is being hidden, other than things that are personal and not my business to tell about an illness.

6. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    Alright. I guess it all comes down to misinterpretation on my part. I would have thought that the humble judges are considered part of the official judging, so it's a bit of a surprise to hear now that they aren't done yet. I trust that you've disclosed everything you know. I guess there's nothing left to do but wait. :(

7. GIRakaCHEEZER

GIRakaCHEEZER Dreams of Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is what we wanted to hear. A very clear and non-vague answer about what's going on at the moment.

8. catchthefloaty

This is where people are confused. Those two statements seem to contradict each other. Or maybe it's the way it's phrased? The past tense on the first makes it seem like they are done. But they aren't done judging?

And nobody is worried about the moving/illness. Nor do they blame you for going though such events.

9. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Alright so the winners aren't determined yet, because the Celebrity & HB Judges aren't finished? Getting some contradicting statements in this topic. :')

Regardless though, no results yet! That's alright. :D

10. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    We didn't say winners are determined. Where was that said?

11. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    People are misconstruing this from TouchFuzzy:

"Celebrity and Humble Judges were all done after the main judging."

He meant that the celebrity and humble bundle judging process occurred after the forum judges finished, not that the celebrity and humble bundle judges had actually finished.

Kryzon likes this.
  12. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    @archeia, I believe your post in the forum a little while ago led to some of the confusion. You said that it was all up to the "contest guest judges," which only (to me) implies Ed Greenwood and Sabre. I don't think many people felt like the humble judges counted as guest judges, since their input is essential for determining a grand prize winner.

It's not your fault, it's just another one of what seem to be many miscommunications that have occurred over the past few months.

13. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Nessy didn't say celebrity judges, but guest judges, which means those outside of the site itself - thus the Humble and Celebrity judges. You misinterpreted what she said to mean only the celebrity judges. It happens~ ^.^

14. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Guys.  Problem solved.  You all are winners in my book. *point point point*

Kryzon, whitesphere and EternalShadow like this.
  15. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think someone said the only remaining issue was "external". I took that as meaning something technical like paperwork. Well, it doesn't matter. :)

NickMakesGames likes this.
  16. catchthefloaty

So the finalists that were handed to the external judges..... Was it like top ten or top several hundred? Going by deckillers comment they've had a month to go through them. Top ten shouldn't take a month . unless they are doing more than one hour play throughs?

17. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    It's about 140, I believe. Perhaps a judge could confirm this?

18. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Top ten, I think. Can't remember if it was top ten of each individual judge or total.

19. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Top ten went to Humble/Celeb Judges. I'll talk to the team about making a blog announcement early next week on who the top 10 was. It is looking like we will have the winners not too long after that. (I'm being somewhat optimistic here, if it takes longer than two more weeks, I'll be just as sad as you guys).

Kryzon and EternalShadow like this.
  20. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    how long ago were the top ten passed along? Furthermore, is that top ten from each category (twenty games passed in total), or ten best games from the two combined?