Any news when winners are announced?

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Tiarali, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I doubt they can't access the website. They probably just want to maintain a low profile for whatever reason.

The contest is hosted by Degica and Humble Bundle -- Degica being the main distributor for RPG Maker on Steam. I guess considering the amount of $ they make off of RPG Maker money isn't an issue, but I find it hard to come up with another excuse at this point.

2. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    smaller contests and events on the forum here often have no conclusion or winners announced, but I wasn't expecting a big event such as this to be the same.

Saltwater Croc likes this.
  3. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I figured that much. Thanks for the verification.

4. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea, one would hope that they will eventually release the results.

I mean, as it stands, no one really knows if their game even made it past the initial prelim :(

5. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I remember one of the judges said you could e-mail to ask about whether your entry made it past the prelim. I did that 2 weeks ago and no reply.  :unsure:

6. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    30 days of constant work for a contest is very mentally and physically demanding. I'm glad I didn't participate otherwise I'd be up in arms about it. If they're being quiet about it, it may help if you threaten to sue with a Breach of Contract based on their terms on the contest site.

Not that I suggest it, but if anyone sees fit to take that course of action then it must be pretty aggravating. At the very least it may elicit a response.

Bonkers, Cinnamon and EternalShadow like this.
  7. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh yea, it was a complete kick in the nuts when they first delayed the results.

I mean, everyone who entered worked hard as hell - and most had to drop their current projects in order to do so... - at least most entries did. the least the judges could do is repay that favor ;)

Cinnamon likes this.
  8. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't think we're there yet but it's good to point out of you as a possible course of action if, say, we don't hear anything at all in the next 30~ days.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
    EternalShadow likes this.
  9. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    We finished judging and it's all upto the contest guest judges by this point. Last I heard they're almost done.

@seita So is playing over 140~ games in a row and writing reviews. That's not accounting screening. I'm just saying :p

10. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ah, hey, some official word. Good! Maybe someone should publish a note on RM's Twitter or Facebook so those who don't follow this forum know what's going on. :)

11. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    There should be update soon. 

12. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Awesome, thanks!

13. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    With all this "extra time" between the end of the originally-planned judging period and the actual release of the results, it would be awesome if you guys did quick (one-paragraph) reviews of what you liked about the top ~50-100 games in each category.  I think it would mean a lot to the people that worked their behinds off for a month to make a good game and then waited with baited breath for another three.  I know it would for me. :)

Kryzon, bgillisp and EternalShadow like this.
  14. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, considering the category judges are now done they could use this "extra time" for that. I love the idea! :)

15. NickMakesGames

NickMakesGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    although I suspect/hope the results come in before this question has to be answered in a forum post, can you confirm any additional details on those reviews? How long will each review be? will they be publicly available? What is the criteria for a game to have a review written of it (I assume not all games are receiving written reviews, since you only referenced 140)?

16. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As angry as I am about it all, the overall way it was run, the backlash we the entrants  received by SOME (Keyword SOME) for BEING angry, the <REDACTED> ,

The fact that people prided themselves on being HARSH rather than CONSTRUCTIVE...

This was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. I learned more than I could have ever hoped. And I learned it BY MYSELF. No tutorials.  It's a great feeling.

bgillisp likes this.
  17. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I can't really say much about the process and I'll have to ask if we're allowed to say something about this. But Ksi and I agreed that after the results are out, we'll start polishing our reviews if the game is in RMN (for makerscore!!!!!), but both of us are busy bees so don't hold our word for it. I might submit my reviews in RMW but generally I'm on an ask-only basis. I'm not sure about Non-RPGs.

Extra time??

18. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    "Extra time" as in the time that passed between the end of the original judging period (end of July) and now.  I hope I don't sound ungrateful or insulting by saying that; I don't mean it that way (and I know that no one expected 800 entries!).  I just feel that with all this time waiting, game makers would love to know that their game got a fair shake, and with so many great games lost in the shuffle for the last couple months, having an "official" list from the judges of really good contest games will help them get some public exposure and play, even if they don't make the Top 3.

19. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I thought by "extra time" you meant the time that passed since the category judging ended a few weeks ago. :)

20. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would like each entry to at least receive a brief "Your entry passed the prelims" icon or something like that. 

I would guess, when the judging is complete, the judges will release a list of the top 50 or 100 games.  Maybe they could phrase it "the top 20% of games" so if they choose to run the contest in the future, it can be consistent.

If it did make a ton of profit for Enterbrain, through the Humble Bundle, even after paying for the website, judges' time, etc, I don't see any real reason they wouldn't run this on an annual basis. 

Sort of like American Idol for indie developers, minus the horrible singing outtakes.  Of course my guess is at least some of the judges will be as blunt as Simon.