Any news when winners are announced?

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Tiarali, Jul 29, 2014.

1. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I didn't know MEGA made you download a file twice... I had some people testing that method, nobody reported that issue o_O

2. NickMakesGames

NickMakesGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    not to abuse the recent generosity of the judges in answering questions, but another topic just occurred to me - if a game featured an options menu, would the judge go and take a look at that first, or was hitting the "play" button everybody's top priority?

3. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Shouldn't a game be able to run without using the options menu? Curious where your question is coming from.

4. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    my game boots in windowed mode with (I believe) v-sync disabled by default. V-sync is disabled to reduce the likelihood of any problems occurring on startup due to potentially wonky hardware. Fullscreen is disabled because most monitors go black for a moment before showing anything in fullscreen, even though the game is still running. This means that the opening animation sequence that plays when you start up the game could be missed due to an abnormally long black screen (it happened to me quite a few times) and I didn't want to miss my chance to earn a great first impression with a really stylish intro screen. For reference, the opening animation plays at 1:16 in my poorly made trailer, if you want to take a look.

Anyhow, I'd just like to know how likely it is that judges actually went in and toggled fullscreen and v-sync back to being enabled so that they have a slightly better experience.

5. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    We just played the games like we would normally, though with more inclination towards checking/trying everything we could find. We didn't look at information on the games before-hand so as to remain unspoiled, so if your video didn't work by just playing the game then it's more than likely that we missed it. As for options, it would depend on what the options were. Most games had the start/load/quit options, a few had other ones. There were a few games where we checked out the other options for customisation purposes.

@Hotfire: It basically makes you load the file in your browser then download. The loading takes ages as it is technically downloading the file to be ready for download. >.<;

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    Wavelength likes this.
  6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    The only time I use options menu:

a.) Dash forever

b.) The font and windowskin don't match at all, I had to make the windowskin black.

7. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    aw, that's a little upsetting. I don't suppose having to play a game in windowed mode would negatively impact a judge's opinion of a game too heavily, would it?

8. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    On the contrary, if it starts as fullscreen it pisses me off so bad. Especially when I'm writing my reviews while playing.

Ksi and Cinnamon like this.
  9. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    Bless you twenty times over. The only thing keeping me sane right now are judge posts in this forum.

10. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The little colourful boxes at the top of the main contest page were all different colours before, and now two of them are blue. It seems someone has been able to update the contest page..! It is also apparent that I have spent too much time checking that page. ;)

EternalShadow and NickMakesGames like this.
  11. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ouch.

Hmm, I'll see what I can do regarding downloads again, because Dropbox has a download limit before your account is locked, Rapidshare I can't work out anymore, Mediafire has a limit which is a pain if you have a lot of music... So yeah, unfortunately MEGA ended up the only viable option at that stage :|

Sorreh ;-;

12. Ardaz

Ardaz Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    I think it only download once, in the browser, and then you just have to tell it where to save the file. At least in the connections I tested when the browser download finishes and I select a place to save it "downloads" immediately, it doesn't seem to be downloading anything.

But anyway, sorry if it was an inconvenience.  :|

13. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    if you press cancel by accident after mega is done (while I was multitasking), you're doomed. (Happened to me sooo many times)

14. Ksi

First Language:
    English
    I only ever play windowed mode. If I'm forced to play in full screen I get grumpy. I think there was only one game that tried to force that but it turned out they had the option for windowed too (it just wasn't easy to find) which was good since tabbing back and forth is a bit much (especially for those games that don't allow tabbing >.<; ).

@Ardaz - Dunno why it took as long to 'save' as it did to load the file. I much rather downloading without preloading in the browser (besides, you only need to upload one file for a contest game so I don't see the issue with using a site just the once to do so.)

15. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So -1 points for Fun on the scoring system? Considering it's the only category that allows you to be biased. Objectively a game starting in full-screen is the industry standard (except in the RM community, but this wasn't an RM-only contest).

I'm surprising you guys prefer playing on Windowed Mode. With the small resolution of RPG Maker, full screen definitely adds to the experience of any game.

16. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Other commercial games allows you to config first before running the game (e.g. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Ragnarok Online, etc.) I always play window mode.

17. Ksi

First Language:
    English
    Same - I usually play game with a movie or something in the background so I'm used to (and prefer) windowed mode. Besides some RM games lag like hell on my old piece of crap computer if they're full screen, where they'll play great in windowed. Lastly, like Nessy pointed out, it would have been quite awkward and annoying to constantly tab out jotting down notes while playing. When judging, unless given no choice, I always play windowed.

18. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yet by standard commercial games always run in full screen, and most don't have an easily accessible config option outside of the game itself (Far Cry 3, Heroes VI, Heroes V). So unless the config / options function of a contest entry starting on full screen is hidden away somewhere, the only category that should be affected is the subjective "Fun" category, no?  :p

On the note of personal preference, I did find that while reviewing a couple of games myself it was easier to take notes while in Windowed Mode (of course). On the other hand it hindered my immersion as well, so with the games I actually liked I just played properly in full-screen and jotted down notes later, ha. Leviathan comes to mind as an entry that looked a lot better in full screen.

@mostly useless: Are you sure? The colors have always been like that on my end (two blue ones).

19. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    It would also affect the technical perspective of the game. RM's full screen is notorious for crashing pcs you know? ;D

RM doesn't have 3d Software Render (it doesn't use graphic cards). So activating its native built-in fullscreen is like asking your player's pcs to die. Unlike Industry Standard games where they do. Since we're getting technical here and comparing commercial engines.

20. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Of course, RM has many technical limitations. ;)  Screen tearing, frame rate, resolution. However, all the RM games published on Steam that I've played (Deadly Sin, Aveyond, etc.) -- including mine -- start on full screen. Therefore I would take that as the norm as opposed to the average project within the RM community. And I've never heard of actual crashing on any of these games' Steam Communities. Windowed mode gives more of a "hobby project" feeling than being an actual, polished product.

Although that is just my subjective opinion. If we're going to judge games based on such technicalities then all RM games might as well be given penalty points for their resolution and low framerate.