Any plans to make official patch/version/update with side-view battle system from ENTERBRAIN?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by DeusEx, Aug 11, 2012.

1. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Dear forum users.

As I see many of RPG Maker VX Ace users try to change standart battle system. On every RPGMaker community site I found many topics with question "How I can change BS to.. like FF..." and etc. Many commercial RPGMaker games also use non-standart battle system.

In same time many users are non scripters. And even people who know another programming languages in most cases don't want to learn Ruby only to use it for make their own BS. Also custom scripts/add-on's can consist much more errors/bugs and etc then solution directly from RPGMaker developers.

So is we have any chanse to receive official patch/version/update with side-view battle system from ENTERBRAIN?

And if not: what advice would you offer to RPGMaker user who would like to use FFV-like side-view battle system, but unable to learn Ruby script? Thanks in advance!

2. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

Moved to Discussion, as it's not a support question.

3. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I doubt you'll see one from Enterbrain. Maybe in the next RPG Maker they release.

I wouldn't say products from the developers are less bug free than custom scripts. RMVXAce actually has a few bugs that have yet to be fixed by an official patch. At least with scripts you can rely on the community to help point out bugs for the author.

You don't have to know Ruby to implement a side-view battle system. People have already made side-view combat systems so you don't have to make one from scratch. Unless you want to make any large modifications to the script, all you really need to understand is variables and how the program interprets the code. I can't even make a window pop up with Ruby yet I've successfully added a couple battle systems to my games.

4. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Thanks for answer Espon, can you please suggest me any side-view BS even simplest one (like here http://www.youtube.c...N2?feature=mhee or like this or a bit better)?

[​IMG]

I search forum (and not only this one) but look like BS implementing force to make major changes in RMVXAce DataBase.

Does it possible to just copy/past new battle script to receive simplest side-view BS? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2012
  5. Zasian

Zasian Advanced N00B Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Fomar0153 likes this.
  6. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Zasian , level of simplicity depend only on how easy this BS can be setup in my game. Ideal option - just copy/paste files/scripts and go.

I can try to implement something more complex later, in future projects (like Victor Scripts), then my expirience with RPGMaker will be more appropriate fom this.

But right now I am just looking for Plug&Play side-view system without bugs.

p.s. For example I download script from your link, replase him default BS and gor an error. In this moment I don't know how to correct this.

p.p.s. Yes, I understood, that for example animated system need heroes/enemies animated sprites in DB. So I dont ask for this, it can not be realised without scripting and deep DB understunding. But BS like I show on screenshot can use in fact only static pictures already existed in database. So theoretically I don't see problem why it's unable to have simple BS side-view script on standart database. Thanks

7. Zasian

First Language:
    English
    Where did you place the script? under materials above main? and also what was the error you got? I should be able to help. The script is copy paste so I don't see why you would get an error.

EDIT: Well I just copy pasted this script into a fresh project, under Materials, above Main (at the bottom of the script editor) and it worked exactly as it should. Let me know what went wrong on your end I'll help you out dood.

EDIT: (prinny speak ftw!!!)

DeusEx likes this.
  8. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Dhaos, sorry, I am a noob-idiot. I was REplace default Battle Script with this one and ask myself why this does not work =)

Thanks for the clarification! Now all is work very well.

May I ask for a bit more help: can you please give me a bit more examples for same easy-to-setup side-view BS?

Thanks!

9. Zasian

First Language:
    English
    I thought you may have done something like that. Hey we are all noobs at some point lol. Do you have any specific sideview system in mind? I personally use Victor Sants Animated Battle script, because it is the best sideview script out there. Complete control would be the best way to describe it, although it can be a bit tricky to set up the first time you try it. If you don't have any preference I'll have a look for one for you.

EDIT: Yea..... Dhaos is the man 8D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
  10. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Thank you, Zasian! Yes, I see Vistor Scripts and his Animated Battle scritp are very impressive (in fact it's awesome!), but I am too noobish to setup it right now. So rught now I am looking for script without additional animation.

What do I need? In ideal situaion I need turn based side-view battle there I can see buffs and debaffs on players and can MOVE players like in HoMM series:

For example (does it possible in Ace via Ruby scripts? I don't know) I need something like this:

1st character do melee attack with sword on boss

2nd cast frost spell on boss (animation of spell?)

3rd shoot from bow/rifle on boss

Enemy Boss cast fire under all party members and each of them need to choose - change their place in battle and no deal damage OR stay in fire, take damage but do something against enemy OR use phial with water to choke a fire.

Again, it's ideal battle model and I don't see anythig like this right now. And it'defenitely not to my current skills.

Personally I am not a scripter - I am dialog writer and gamedesigner. At this point I have no clue how to implement all this stuff.

11. Zasian

First Language:
    English
    We'll to repeat a overstated point, victor script allows this. But if you want to wait for a little bit, I'll search around and try find something. Most battle systems that allow that are rather complex to set up.

12. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    I also see "Tankentai Sidebattle view" BS, but was unable to found English translated demo (I download only Japanese, this doesn't worl for me, I don't know this language =( ). May be you see English version of this script in Demo?

How much Ruby knowledge needed to setup victor scripts?

Thanks you for your time! No any urgency here, I can wait as long as it will be needed. It's better choose right tool to make work, than rebuild projects scripts from scratch in the middle of the project.

13. Zasian

First Language:
    English
    We'll tankentai IS NOT FOR NEWBIE'S!!!!! Trust me, I still can't set it up well and I personally loathe tankentai. To set up victors battle, no ruby knowledge is needed. It's basically just having the right file names and set ups on the script. I can guide you through the set-up if you would like. I'm not up to much anyway lol. Rain is pouring so a lazy sunday is on the cards for me today lol. Let me know what you decide regarding victor's scripts.

14. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Thanks you, Zasian.Yes, loook like victor's scripts will be best choise. But right now I need some sleep - 2-49 on my clocks here in Poland ;)

Will be very grateful for any future help, thanks!

15. Zasian

First Language:
    English
    Oh yea cool as. I'll start writing something up now then.

16. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Actually none.My scripts don't use ruby for most of the setup, but instead use arbitrary text (in form of notetags or arbitrary strings). You need some programing logic knowlegde though, and a lot of patience and perseverance.

It might take a while to get used with how the settings works, but once it's done, you can make a lot of things.

17. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Dear Victor Sant, this is a honor for me to get answers to my questions directly from you.

I have no problem with programing logic, but I will be appreciate if you give me an advice about good starting point there I can start learning how to use arbitrary text.

I don't want to use any script without understanding how they work and ability to change/tune it. Thank you for your attention to my problem.

18. Zasian

First Language:
    English
    Are you ready? Because I'm not, It's time for sleep for me but I'll get to it tommorow if your still willing? (to be honest it completely slipped my mind lol) so tomorrow?

19. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    yes, tomorrow , I am reading victor's scripts manual now

20. Zasian

First Language:
    English