Any pointers on how how to organize and store your resources?

sleepy_sealion

Need to work harder!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been making (or at least trying) to create custom art for my game, as well as some light scripting.

In case of the worst I keep everything backed up - though it's kind of a mess going through everything, stuff like multiple similarly named folders, script file names being too similar with various "v1.x" names. All scattered about my pc and a hard drive.

A bit more confusing as of late that I've just been using one big script for everything and calling it an "engine" - even though there's parts in that script I might not use, but would want to save.

So I was just wondering if actual professionals have any tips or thoughts for keeping your project bits backed up in a way that it makes it easy to find things and keeping things up to date.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
I never came up with an ideal way so far. I do folders in folders mainly and make sure to get a copy of each ToU of each assets in the folders.

GmOcean

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well it depends really. For instance, if it's art assets, I have 1 master folder which holds a folder named after everyone I need to credit. Inside of those folders is a folder named Edit which is used for any alterations I made to those assets, so that I know to still credit them even if I did touch them up.

As far as scripts, plugins etc... there is a similar folder hierarchy used.

But for main back ups I use Paragon Backup and Recovery to back up the entire project every 7 days to an external SSD. If I make heavy modifications to the project I may perform a backup that day.

Keep in mind that art assets are not in my project folder unless used in the editor in some shape way or form. Whether it be for direct event sprites or called through the use of the plugin. Basically if it's not being used it's not getting backed up.

I only keep 3 months worth of back ups at a time. That are scheduled to clean up (delete in bulk) at the start of every month. Hence I no longer have my November stuff as of today xD.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't keep script, but I keep other resources.
Mostly I organize the folder based on the creator's name even if they only make a few couples of them.

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have a master folder for all resources made by other users, with a folder dedicated to each creators content + a notepad on terms and a link to that post to double check. I don't really name those files before using them in a project, where I name them per use. As for when I do sketches or so, I usually name them "Character_Name_001" as I'm sure there will be more sketches, and then the final ones will eventually make a new name or get the first number as it enter the project files. That way you have a name to each resource that describes it purpose.

johnllb

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have same question. Plz frendz guide me. Thanks...

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You're getting a lot of replies about keeping track of other people's resources, which is not what you asked (your first sentence says you're creating custom art and scripts). So tracking stuff that you've created should really be pretty simple.

I'd use the same folder structure that RPG Maker does (so you'll have img, script, etc. folders). That means you have no reason to have "multiple similarly named folders" - why would you in the first place?

Similarly, for scripts, name them sanely after what they do - why would you choose to create similar file names? You don't need to track the version of the script in the file name, you can put it in the help text. For that matter, if you're making them for yourself, why create and track version numbers?

I mean, you say it's all scattered across your hard drive...I don't think you need advice from a professional to make it not be that way? Step one, put it all in one place? :p

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Does anyone know of NPC sprites for RMMZ? I know of Flirion's RMMV recolours, but RMMZ's sprites are slimmer and more detailed, so I'm a bit on the edge to use Flirion's im RMMZ...
I can't believe that after all those years, KH Union X Dark Road is closing the services.

Due to a situation in which I thought plugin adaptations had stopped for the QPlugins, I "ghetto" converted these 7 over yesterday. They appear to work perfectly as long as you use old style plugin commands. I am uncertain if I will have a lot of free time in the future to work on this, but if you'd like them, here they are.
Was there a thread that you could share a screenshot of your game? I feel like I found it once but can't locate it again.

I was being lazy and just copied a map to test a new parallax, but I forgot to delete all the events. This was the result. :o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FeatherStone