Any potential problems with using region restrictions instead of tileset toggles?

jan_Meta

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made a bunch of tilesets by combing tiles from different sources and I didn't go through and individually click on each tile to designate it circle, x, star, ladder, etc. Can I just go through and use a TON of region 1 on every solid area of the main map to achieve the same effect (I will add stars to specific tiles where I want the player to appear beneath)? Will this bog down the game or anything?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
using region can achieve the same effect, mostly used for parallaxing, but if you dont
want to add O X STAR, BUSHES, COUNTER, LADDER option, than regions can be used.

there is YEP_RegionRestrictions (I dont know if this was free or paid plugin), but there
might be an alternative plugin that does the same (I don know its name atm).

but you can use this effect also by eventing, but it require a parallel event and
conditional branch to check the region you want to use.

EzraBlake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I used the method ShadowDragon described. I also use the HalfMove plugin, which I believe is free. The only issue I've run into is that sometimes using half-tile region restrictions will allow the player to clip through the corners of tiles and get into areas where I don't want them to go, but this can be fixed by using a border of 100% impassable tiles where any two half tiles intersect.

If you aren't using half tiles, you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

KenKrath wrote on RPGMakerWeb's profile.
Nevermind.
I found a book about game localization. It costs R$708,00 on Amazon. ;_;
I really wish my game was far enough along for it to be actually playable beyond certain aspects. I think I've crafted a really fun battle system thanks to ATB, fighting game, and Boost point mechanics.
Play test of my current progress on Happy Camper
Cutscene Contest Winners have been announced!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhayes