Any real way to implement DLC?

The A-ster

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If so, I would like a tutorial on how to do this. I have made room for any switches I may need to use. I just want to know how to remotely turn on a switch using an outside js or json file. Thanks to anyone who can help!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Afraid we don't have a forum section for requesting tutorials, and this part of the forum is for tutorials you have made. Since you asked about Js files I'll move this to Learning JavaScript.

Moved to Learning Javascript

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
not by default.
there are several ways to do this with javascript plugins, but it depends on how you want it and is never easy.

the simplest way would be to have a plugin check for the existance of specific files and then activate content, but even that is not something to do as a beginner in javascript, and it has several problems (like anyone could trigger it by creating the file, which means you have no way to prevent dlc pirating).

myenemy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then, if you want it to have some guarantee it's the real file and not a modified one, you could check its contents individually, or simply, check their hashes.
The way to do stuff like this varies on the kind of dlc, and it must be prepared beforehand in that script Andar suggested. You would need to be quite more specific if you want an actual tutorial.

Pseudocode:
Code:
(function(){
    if(checkDLC)
       $gameSwitches.setValue(varId, true); //The line to set a switch on. VarId is the in-editor number. Set to false to turn it off.
})();

function checkDLC()
{
   var dlcIsRight=true;
   for each file while dlcIsRight
   {
       checkFileExists(file)
       checkFileIsRight(file)
        if anyFails()
           dlcIsRight=false;
    }
    return dlcIsRight
}
Long story short, there are real ways to do so, but not native ones.

[EDIT] Of course, that's if we're talking about automated dlc... but you can always "update the game manually", by overwriting the files. Back on XP, I used to make a lot of empty maps, and dlcs was simply overwriting the files the game had, and that's a idea I had on maker 2003, so it's likely still working the same.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The only upside of this remote semester was the plenty of funny photoshop material those facecams provided. Not that I would do that. Ever.
New skit is up for grid battle system. Less tactics battle engine looking battle systems, more final fantasy/breath of fire looking battle systems.

Dororo wrote on Tsukihime's profile.
For the grid battle system: a function to check if another actor is in a given range - to trigger combo actions or benefit of passive aura/morale ranges.
Uuuh I cannot find any good RPG to play
Gimme some free RPG recommendations plz
I need to consume it
I'm in a need of excitement caused by doing literally nothing on my laptop and then thinking I did something useful and then realising that I didnt and crying internally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr