Any RPGM games with good on-map thievery system?

QuietPenguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Has anyone implemented (or seen implemented) a good system for on-map thievery (e.g., stealing items from NPC shops) in an RPG Maker game? If it has been done, I would be interested in hearing how people have gone about doing it. Not necessarily looking for an available script -- I plan to make my own system. Just want to see any interesting ideas that have been implemented.

Thanks!

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
never play that
but I think just make like skyrim
if you approach on back of npc in stealth state
you can get steal choice more than just talk

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do you like approach this thievery.
You are talking about pick pockets and arm robbery. If you are prefer pick pockets, you can do that with Yanfly Steath plugin like @pasunna talking about.

If arm robbery, I guess you just doing battle events.
If you refer an ambush, you can Yanfly Steath or just event to prevent the NPC from approach you.

What would you prefer? It is just specific things you have to do. All you can do all of them. The choices are yours.

QuietPenguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh I actually didn't know Yanfly had a stealth plugin. From the videos it looks like a pretty good place to start. I'll take a look at that. Thanks!

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mmmm, if i was to design "thieving system" it would be something instantanous... like snatching.
Maybe hold the "stealth" button before interacting.
The visual will just your character bumping the target.
The outcome will be combination of success / fail + noticed / unnoticed.
ex : stealing might have success, but since you are noticed, the NPC called guards (or fight you themself). Battle scene. You keep the spoil when succesfully run away.
And even after all of that, the spoil is randomized... or perhaps fixed if the target is a notable character.

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a Bethesda-style lockpick minigame plugin somewhere out there. Lemme see if I can find it.

Yeah, here it is:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/lockpick-plugin.97797/

You could probably do shop robbery with a combination of that and Hime's event detect activation plugin (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/event-trigger-labels.54124/) for an optional minigame experience. Like the player would press "A" when at a shopkeeper's chest which would launch the lockpick minigame if they had lockpicks in their inventory, whereas trying to activate the chest normally (without a key) would say "This chest is locked" or something like that.

QuietPenguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a Bethesda-style lockpick minigame plugin somewhere out there. Lemme see if I can find it.

Yeah, here it is:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/lockpick-plugin.97797/

You could probably do shop robbery with a combination of that and Hime's event detect activation plugin (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/event-trigger-labels.54124/) for an optional minigame experience. Like the player would press "A" when at a shopkeeper's chest which would launch the lockpick minigame if they had lockpicks in their inventory, whereas trying to activate the chest normally (without a key) would say "This chest is locked" or something like that.
Ooh, I like that. Maybe instead of a full-blown stealth system something like this lockpick system with detection-on-failure would do the trick (i.e. player tries to steal from shop, some sort of lockpick mini-game triggered. On failure the player is detected, or has a chance of being detected, and gets a bounty or something. On success the item is stolen).

Anyway, this is very helpful. Thanks for the ideas everybody!

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game Gladatora implemented thieving off of shop counters. Also, it's a pretty fun game too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The nick "Toeuia" that I'm using comes from a, idk, you okay the chess game while chit chatting them. The first two are students. Then you know, finally, the champion, and then the champion's sensei. I played like this so many times until suddenly there's another chess master. Very naive but super smart. After he lost, he kinda advised me not to give up on chest. Because the next one was never seen beaten. Touya.
I'm currently playing Ara Fell - I can see why it's had generally good reviews. The exploration aspect is pretty strong and the writing is passable.

The game auto-saves and offers an option to turn back just before each major combat, and immediately brings the player back to the last position saved when there's a TPK. Convenient at the very least.
This is Krizzirk Toeuia Aeslan, I'm picking up transmission. Draftwingeds on, duty on, exhaust ready. 310 Immulicationsers approaching. I'll take the cake and----hold it!!! My Cosvere Radar detected 3001 of them!!
11 hours of programming... Only to add two more zoom levels.
Well, that's what happens when you decide between minimap and zoom too late.

It's my cute little ghost~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FerdiPanther