Any software that includes a intuitive interface for writing game stories?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by ScoopJohn, Sep 6, 2017.

1. ScoopJohn

ScoopJohn The guy who asks too many questions

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have like a bunch of ideas for original and fangame ideas on my head, all the time, and to try to visualize them i'm in need for a great software that has control over creating chapters explained by in-game, dialogue concepts, character database, etc. Just so that i would stop worrying about thinking it on the head and sometimes forgetting them.

2. The Stranger

The Stranger A Faceless Friend

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Articy Draft, in combination with Libre Office, is what I use. I tend to use Libre Office for wordl building and what not, while I use Articy Draft for writing up my characters, plots, etc for use in my game. You can also draw maps, create dialogue trees, and a ton of other stuff in Articy Draft. The one big downside of Articy Draft, however, is that it's quite expensive.

3. ScoopJohn

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Agh, Articy Draft looks completely dope than every other software i use for writing... i heard it has a subscription version, but that doesn't stop me to wonder to buy the actual full version...

4. The Stranger

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I got it for really cheap during one of the Steam summer sales. It's very good. It helps me stay organised, and allows me to reference\link characters, maps, terms, plots, etc from anywhere in the editor. I really wouldn't bother with the subscription, just pick up one of versions for cheapish if possible. I'm not a fan of how the company charges full price for what is essentially a patch, however, my dislike of how they run things shouldn't put you off the program itself.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  5. ScoopJohn

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've saw the latest sale was around 79,99 dollars on Steam, the exact price for RPG Maker MV... X_X
    I've just downloaded the trial of it, and probably gonna try writing one of my ideas much as possible before it expires...

The Stranger likes this.
  6. The Stranger

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wasn't even aware it had a trial version. xD Play around with it and see how you feel. It takes some getting used to, but I certainly don't regret my purchase.

7. Bricabrac

Bricabrac The Storyteller

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For a cheap alternative, consider Ywriter! http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter6.html
    It's more oriented for prose writing than for game making, but you can separate a story in chapters and scenes, tag them with characters/items/locations, and you have some neat options for visualizing timelines and such. I used it for a novel with multiple POVs and it was a bless.

kaukusaki likes this.
  8. ScoopJohn

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm getting a good hang with articy:draft, and it smells for me the best game concept writing software i've ever tried. I'm using it more until the trial's expired. The features from this software are greatly perfect and it really suits me well than Scrivener or Word. I wonder if i should go with the subscription version or the full version afterwards.

I've checked the Nevigo shop just now, and apparently the single-user version costs 84,99 euros in the non-steam version, while the multi-user version costs just one thousand euros. Oh, and i found the Student version of the software and it's pretty cheaper than the original version (23,99€), but since it's not for my school, would it apply for a home user?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  9. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  10. yajirobi

yajirobi Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    celtx is popular and free and semi standard in the entertainment industry.

11. ScoopJohn

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Pretty much Celtx is oriented on writing novel drafts, screenplays for theaters and such similar stuff, but articy:draft remains me the best software i've ever used. When the trial's over, i might prefer not to find any alternative to this since it's a very unique thing. There's plans i might go with the subscription version, which costs about 6,99 euros for each month, or, if depends when my parents are gaining money in a better way, i will buy the permanent full version.

I'm so having lots of fun with it, but it happens that i'll get tired over writing an entire chapter. I'm working on a big draft of a fangame (i'll give you a little hint: It's a fangame of a monster catching game made by Level-5 which has really bizarre monster design) and so far i wrote a prologue chapter, with the first chapter being worked on.

EDIT: I returned from vacation and it's sure been fun to use articy:draft, now that the day i returned i've found the trial to have the last day of use, so i'm returning to rough times where i need a free software, once again, but i've returned home with some money my grandparents just gave to me, but i am not using these to buy the software on the Nevigo shop, as i'll have to go with buying stuff that doesn't have to do with RPG Maker, Degica nor articy:draft.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  12. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    THIS is the best option to work on a story, since you can slice the story to smaller pieces that combine, you can even use variables(!!!) and you can actually playtest it, before implementing on anything else. It supports non linear sortytelling of course, but it needs to get used to its scripting commands to do so. Not something too hard though. Oh! And it is for FREE!

----------------------
    If you want something more simple and direct, to make a scetch of your ideas, then...
    Try scapple. It isn't free. But it has a good and fair trial and it is relatively cheap.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/trial.php?displayMode=scapple

I use both Scrivener and Scapple to write stories and keep track of the plot and ideas.
    I even do my research using this software.

The only negative parts is that you have to pay for them and that they don't support variables.

13. ScoopJohn

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So i realized that Twine seems nearly similar to articy;draft, well one day i can try using it as a story planning software than actually making a game with it...

14. Andar

Andar Global Moderators

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ScoopJohn
    An older version 2 of articy:draft is currently on sale at bundlestars.com for less than 3$

15. Rukiri

Rukiri I'm the epitome of EVIL!!!

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  16. ScoopJohn

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh crap, i've missed out on that since i've never checked the forums anymore.