10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. Do "Loop" functions lag more than events which are just parallel processes? In my experience yes, but I dn't know for sure.
2. Are parallel processes a significant factor of lag, if there is too many of them on the map or screen?
3. Yanfly's core engine lets you change game resolution to show more tiles, is that a meaningful lag contributor?
4. Do plugins eat up memory if they aren't being actively used on that map or situation? (Such as custom battle
plugins, bestiary, etc)
5. Is it viable to have a maximum-size overworld map with many standard events and weather, or should it be segmented?
6. Do weather plugins cause more lag than just having a common event scroll a weather picture over the screen?

Any other ways to improve performance appreciated

a noble wolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
In my experience the larger the map, and the more events the are running the worse the lag. Now I am not talking about your standard transfer points such as walking up to the town and you leave the world map for the town map. I am talking more of you animated event such as waterfalls and moving Npcs or monsters. Because the system is having to track and move all those events at once. Now for parallel processes yes two many running at once will cause lag. But you can cut down on the number of process by combining them instead of one event for each process.

Hope that helps.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
On parallel processes, it is possible to have several complex ones running with no lag, but just one badly designed parallel process can bring your game almost to a halt.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends on what you're looping. However, if you put in a wait command, it should be fine.
Yes, parallel process events can cause lag if there are too many of them and if they don't have wait commands inside, they're 100% sure to lag your game.
Resolution is a meaningful lag contributor. For some reason the engine can't handle 1080p very well, causing lags even on more powerful machines. However, since my machine is a potato, I still often resize the windows to make them small.
Plugins always eat up memory, because they always need to be loaded. However, it's not that much of ram, since their sizes are in kilobytes.
I would be more worried about plugins that are always active, because for example Yanfly's buffs and states core is a meaningful lag contributor. Label plugins, lighting plugins that render light through cpu and many more that actively use cpu are also considerable lag contributors.
Surprisingly enough, Yanfly's doodads have no troubles with lags...

Since the RPG maker always renders whole maps, the bigger the map and the more events there are, the bigger lag.
Weather plugins use updates, picture uses updates only if it is a moving picture. Static picture causes slight lag only while loading, but it runs just fine otherwise.

10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the responses everyone : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trading has been halted on the TSX (Canadian stock market) because of "technical issues". Suspicious... I'm bracing myself for a sea of red tomorrow lol
The Loco-Motion song pre-dates the dance. Meaning the lyrics are kinda misleading. "Everybody's doing a brand new dance now"... No they weren't, you just used peer pressure to trick everyone into going along with it.
Love it when someone confuses "RPG Maker (or script/plugin) has a bug" with "I didn't set it up right and it's not working as I want (or gives an error)"
Is animation really as hard as I think it is?
Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreenRelicanth