Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does anyone have links to good tutorials that show how to edit existing sprites? I'm thinking poses that would often be in a game but not be made by a character generator ...

- falling
- riding a horse
- rowing a boat
- swimming

My art skills include making lines and shapes with paint.net so I'm looking for things aimed at this level of experience ;)

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you wanting to edit the ones that come with the program and which ones?
I found this on YouTube:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, characters that come with the RTP - walking/map sprites. Or when MZ is released, I'll probably want to edit those instead.

Thanks for that link - watching now.

Actually, doesn't seem what I'm after - I don't want to make new characters, but I want to edit existing characters to put them in different poses, like riding a horse, or swimming. Parts get removed and parts will need to be redrawn or moved, depending on the pose/action.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm... it's definitely possible to edit sprites. Like combine horses and human sprites and try to make it look like they're being ridden. Or (if you can find them) find sprites of horse-back-riding sprites and edit the head or something. Swimming, you just get rid of the lower body and had in an affect that makes it look like the character's emerging from water. I've seen a good tip somewhere to make it black and white to make sure everything looks good (color can sometimes distract or over complicate things) and work in color afterwards.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
If you have like zero experience editing sprites, I would suggest starting with easy frankenspriting to get a feel for the process:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Got inspired and started writing a simple tower defence battle system last night :o
Good news! I have located an amazing 3D website called SketchFab that has rotatable renderings of famous statues!
Picked up a physical copy of Megadimension Neptunia VII for the PS4 today. It's pretty good. I'm having a lot of fun with it.
The only upside of this remote semester was the plenty of funny photoshop material those facecams provided. Not that I would do that. Ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr