awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is there any way I can prevent this. I won't say publicly what the method was, I was shocked myself. I've been really saddened by how easy it is for my personal graphics to be lifted from my game project, map data, and everything. It's basically all assets and data are open to being used in a new or current.

I've not tried this with any other RPG Maker program as I don't own the rights to any other games out there. This is really serious.

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I get that you don't want to mention what the method is and why, but without knowing what it is you're trying to prevent it's going to be difficult for anyone who doesn't already know to answer your question.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sadly little you can do except use another encryption method, but any method can be cracked by anyone who has time and patience. However anyone who DOES lift the assets you can copyright strike them, as breaking the encryption is a delibrarate act so they can't say they didn't know now.

In short best just be ready to DMCA them and/or file a copyright strike on them.

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I did it in less than 30 seconds. This is joke, who do I go to? Everything was unpacked, my game data, picture files, graphic sheets, everything that was packed and hidden away.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I did it in less than 30 seconds. This is joke, who do I go to? Everything was unpacked, my game data, picture files, graphic sheets, everything that was packed and hidden away.

The only thing you can do is hire a programmer and create a new encryption. But as the saying goes, if someone really wants your stuff, they will do everything in their power to break that protection. AAA games have this problem since the beginning. A few RM games is nothing to a lot of people who do reverse hacking.

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sadly little you can do except use another encryption method, but any method can be cracked by anyone who has time and patience. However anyone who DOES lift the assets you can copyright strike them, as breaking the encryption is a delibrarate act so they can't say they didn't know now.

In short best just be ready to DMCA them and/or file a copyright strike on them.
It isn't just the assets which are the issue, all the map data is there, all my events laid out, literally everything. I basically have my whole project and map data extracted. This includes my tile sets. All the maps I made. I spent years on this project and someone can take it and edit it.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a well-known fact in the RPG Maker community. The real question is, why would someone choose to?

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Encryption is a waste of time, mostly, cause it all can be broken if someone actually wants to, and because the harder you try to encrypt something, the more problems pop up. Personally, I only do it because of TOS of some resources, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

What specifically are you worried about, though? Do you think someone will present your game as their own? Or that they'll take ideas from your game and incorporate them into their own game? Or people will download your game on some pirate site (RPG maker encryption doesn't stop this from happening, though)?

Regardless, trying to get perfect encryption is a fruitless endeavor, because it doesn't exist.

Capitán

kind of a big deal
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engilsh
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nothing is 100% secure, somebody could steal your assets sure, but someone could also login to your facebook account if they wanted to. You cannot let that fear hold you back from releasing your work. The best thing you can do is make it difficult for them, but even then if someone really wanted to, they could no matter what you do.

Thefirelion

TheFireLion Game Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Even AAA games can be hacked, I am tired of seeing assets ripped from such games, and it is not said to lessen the problem. It also happens in mv and mz. But if you are going to create a game for commercial purposes, you should always declare the intellectual property rights.

Jrrkein

Insert Witty Title Here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
People can get the hands of assets you're using and crack any protection you have no matter how secure it is, people will invent such programs or software to obtain what you have.

Even now MZ/MV have tools to crack that protection (though plugins are remains protected, graphical assets are not). All you do is relay on copyright protection and the problem every AAA game devs facing as well project everyone made with rm program.

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Yeah, is one of those things people have to learn to live with. Like artist; no matter how much "dont repost my work" they post... people repost they work.

Games can be opened and ideas stolen and this is why (I guess) lost of people dont post demos.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's technologically impossible to prevent someone with access to the program from getting their hands on the art assets, as the program itself *needs* to be able to decrypt the assets in order to display them.

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It isn't just the art, it's the map data, and everything also. Someone can basically take my game and start doing what they want with it as everything can be opened in RPG Maker in a new project. this includes common events, switches, the exact map layout and all event locations. It's basically full access.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
AAA games you can get full access too. There has always been a way found. And AAA companies tried to shut it down and failed.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's basically full access.
We know. This has been known for over 10 years.
There is very little you can do short of hiring a encryption programmer to make a new exe file and have all your data protected. If they could do it. But as was mentioned, someone would break it if they wanted to. Multimillion dollar companies try to protect their games and they still have them cracked.
Not really much you can do except, accept the fact and move on.
Of course it was mentioned that you could file a copyright strike or DMCA. Then is it worth asking "should I bother?"
While you have spent a long time making your game, how much have you seen in other peoples games? If someone copies you images and audio, it would almost be just as easy for the stealer to say "I made these myself", assuming they did make them and just copied your design to draw a new image with some minor changes.
Anyways, there are possibilities, but in my opinion it is not worth stressing over.
Pirating is a common thing to games and software. You can never stop it.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It isn't just the art, it's the map data, and everything also. Someone can basically take my game and start doing what they want with it as everything can be opened in RPG Maker in a new project. this includes common events, switches, the exact map layout and all event locations. It's basically full access.
Your game needs to know that information as well, otherwise it can't read the maps and events and show them to the player.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
RM encryption is famous for easy to break since long time ago...
there's even decrypter program which can unlock the game in 30s

but if using VX ACE... maybe this can help a 'little'

that is my attempt long time ago on VX ACE to make the decryptor a litle bit suffer (use the est_encrypter script combined with est_cs2_script_control script for maximum headache for them)
and if i remember correctly the one who can 'open it freely' would need a quite bit scripting knowledge which then most of the 'thief' would not have...

it's an old script though... i give no support to it anymore (it's been too long and i already forgot most of it :D)... just use it as it is...

and of course even using above will not guarantee 100% it will be secured... just give the 'thief' more headache when trying to steal your asset... of course hard steal technique like recording the audio or screen shotting the screen and then cropping it using photoshop would still can steal your asset... but at least it will not 30s click button done anymore.

hope this help.

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is a well-known fact in the RPG Maker community. The real question is, why would someone choose to?
Decompiling and reverse-engineering make for fun excercises and learning programming. "Imitation is flattery" and all that. Obviously stealing assets is heinous, but sometimes people wonder how someone else managed a particular thing, so being able to look it up as a reference can be useful.

Thefirelion

TheFireLion Game Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Some time ago, someone published a tool that helped prevent des-decryptions of entire projects, if someone has it it would be helpful if they published it.

Link to the post:

RPG - Maker Forums - Tools anti rgss decrypter

Of course, as already explained here: nothing is perfect.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Original Character Contest Winners Season 3 Pack! is now live!

I know it's a waste of time, but I decided to create a script that forces the RM2k game to always be in windowed mode. Just for fun anyway.
Rm2k.png
Coding some stuff. I just hope I'll be able to finish before school starts.
It's nice and breezy as well cool here, no AC needed! But keep you cozy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannesm