Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
if someone has it it would be helpful if they published it.
Page 3 of the thread

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think I understand, I can at least begin to help others now, which I couldn't before with gaining the views they need. I'll just live with the fact my game is an open book, like all of our projects, and if someone wants to read, and modify the notes, what can I do? We all accept that someone can benefit from our gains and use it on their paid channels, or paid games, not necessarily the art, but take the real work from within the project, and call it their own work. It's just how it is.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are multiple aspects of protecting your work from being copied or benefitted from.
One aspect is physical: you encrypt your game with layers of code, that need to be broken before getting access to the files.

The other aspect is psychological: where your work is so known to be yours, that when people see something close to it somewhere else. They immediately know it's copied.

I personally lean more towards the psychological encryption for my games.
Every unique system I come up with, or anything unique I create. I showcase it online. I make sure it's known, to the best of my abilities. And that it's associated to me.
So if, someone does copy. They make sure they don't bring it up in public, else they can be easily caught.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most people won't bother to decrypt your game. It's only those who are more determined than the average opportunist who will go to greater legnths to break into your project. Not a lot you can do about it, unfortunately.

Just encrypt your files so as to satisfy any licenses you may have; many ask for you to at least make an attempt to make it harder for people to gain access to licensed assets.

Sadly, the world is filled with thieves.

Passingbyposts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
All games can be decrypted with ease and that's the case for all public game engines not just rpg maker

You can rip assets, maps and events as easy in Unity and Unreal as you can in RPG maker.

Don't get in to an arms race with crackers, others have and then they make your life a game for themselves and race one another to break and share your work first.

I know one MV game that spent 5 months making an always online DRM tied to ******* instead of content. The DRM slowed the game down and was cracked in 5 days.

Even if they steal your eventing or assets they still need to build a game around it and like all games you should maximise your revenue in the early weeks of release.

As for eventing, that's easy to obfuscate, enough references to variables and common events calling other common events and then its more time working out how you stuck it together then they could have just made it themselves.

Cyberpunk 2077 was cracked and assets ripped 10 hours after release
people had assets rigged and working in blender before day 2.
embrace that which you cannot change and you'll be happier

Edit : I didnt know PAT---RE---ON was a banned word, thats interesting

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks guys, I feel a bit more stable now than I did a few days ago. I was only looking for an app to play RPG Maker games. One that came up allows the option to decrypt the game. I was pretty shocked that it was a feature, so yeah, I died heavily inside, and after reading many of the comments that followed after, I realised I made it too easy for anyone to just have a look under the hood.

I've found that other game engines can be reversed also, it's just like a few of you mentioned. If someone wants to look under the hood that bad, it can be done. It was an unexpected find. I only wanted to find ways I could share the game I have. And at the same time I stepped on a land mine with what I tried.

I would help anyone out, so if anyone wants to know about what I do with my work, then I would rather they ask. I would do my best to help make life easier by sharing what I learned.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

welp, I literally can't continue working on ALEX now that my MZ trial is up (unless I somehow place in the jam which I don't remotely deserve to for my unfinished crap) so I am back on my bullshit
some test stuff. Empty for now. My other project (this project) needs more attention. The lagging really kicks up when I try to capture gameplay. ✨
Real-Time Battles, Pixel Filter, Animate Cursor & Menus & Windows | RPG Maker News #114

When your side job becomes more interesting than your dayjob and you think "do I quit again or finally actually do the same thing for more than five consecutive years..." I don't think I'll ever be able to say that though, I just cannot stick with one thing like you're 'supposed to'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mariumakter33