Not open for further replies.

SlaveOfThaMind

Game Developer / Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As the topic suggests, I am wondering if an event could possibly require two items to exist in order for the condition to be met.

Here is what I am trying to do.

There is a fireplace down in the catacombs. Player examines it the first time and notices that something is wedged in the stone near the top of the chimney.

The player exits the catacombs and goes to the chimney stack ( which juts from the ground slightly ) and finds a key (which will be used for a door back down inside of the catacombs.

I have this working just fine but...

After the player has done that, I had made two items to be found via two specific monsters in the combs, which are key items ( flint & tinder ).

I want the player to be able to light the hearth, but only after acquiring both of these key items.  I notice however, that there is only one selection for Item exists condition.

Is there anyway to bypass the one item limit and make it where the player is required ownership of two items instead?

I suppose I could make the flint a weapon with "Weapon Type: None" as well as dumb down the parameter changes to "0" and no "animation" but... I really prefer both the flint and tender to be key items that disappear after use.

Any idea's my favorite community?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't need to place everything in the event conditions for that to work - there is also the conditional branch.

One option would be to make the event always available (no condition) and then use the conditional branch to check for both items (you'll need two branches, one inside the other).

That way you could even add a show text if one item is missing, giving the player a hint that he has to search for monsters.

Or you could condition one item to the page condition and the other to conditional branches

Or you could count the number of key items gained in a variable and check that

Or probably half a dozen other ways to handle cases with more conditions than fit on an events condition area...

Daughter of Evil

Nightmare Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could try this method. Since you already did the key thing and it worked fine; Open your hearth event. Make a conditional branch head to the fourth tab and select item (example:flint) inside the conditional branch, make another conditional branch and repeat the steps earlier; this time selecting the second item(ex:tinder).

Now inside the second conditional branch make your event processing(text,effect.etc) :)

There are other ways to do this, but this seems to be a much easier way than the rest. :D

SlaveOfThaMind

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am not good with variables at all honestly..

Do you happen to know off hand where I could look to learn about doing variables? Or perhaps you are able to give a brief explanation on how this works?

Just thought of something, perhaps I could have both the flint and tinder activate a conditional switch on pickup? ( for instance flint switch and tinder switch ) that way when the player touches the fireplace, it checks that both of these switches are on?

Going to fiddle with it while awaiting any other hints :)

-

@ Daughter of Evil , didn't see your post sorry, I have no idea how to do conditional "branching" by a long shot...

-

actually just found out lol, it pays to pay attention I suppose v.v.

I'll toy around with a few options and will let you all know if I got it working or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you don't know how to use the conditional branches or the variables, then I suggest you go read a few tutorials about them. The link in my signature contains several links to tutorials.

Because without conditional branches and variables you won't be able to make any quest of an even mediocre complexity level, and I suppose you want to have better quests in your game than "fetch item X"...

SlaveOfThaMind

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I haven't really thought that far ahead, my game is only about 3 weeks into development, I've mostly been working on mapping, editing the database, story,  and editing for the images i'm using in the menu's, titles, victory screens etc.

Basically learning as I go as far as the bigger picture is concerned. ( I'm a quick study )

I'm not new to the program by any means but I have never been as serious about a project as I am currently with VXAce.

Thanks for the link in your sig :) I'm certain it will come in handy for anybody with novice experience to advanced!

Will post again once I figure this out so this thread can be closed ( not now though please lol )

-

Figured out the conditional branching without the tutorial ( will definitely read up on it when I have a little more down time )

Events working just as they all should. Thank you guys so much!

This topic may now be closed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sneak peak of my upcoming update! Who's holding her, you may ask? Find out tonight!
10.PNG
BCj
Finished another GUI! Turn indicator wasn't made by me.

ff981f8dc50b03cf58038c644334b454.jpg

3cb092fdc00087acfa0a190fd891f0ed.jpg
Added a small refining scene to my game.

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xzukay