Any way to make character spinning while moving.

Nerine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is there a way to make a player spin while they are moving in certain direction? Like a full 360 spin every square

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
depends on what exactly you want to do.

In a cutscene you can give turn orders interspersed with move orders and turn on/off direction fix to simulate that.

If the player is supposed to have any control while spinning, it becomes much more complex to do.

And if by "spin" you mean including top-down instead of just around (looking left/right), then that needs a different sprite from an image program.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Would something like this do it for you?1622495210473.png

Nerine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If the player is supposed to have any control while spinning, it becomes much more complex to do.
I'm looking for solution to this problem.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then we need more details on what kind of movement you want, especially if the solution mentioned by trihan above doesn't work for you - because then it will have to be custom-fitted to your case.

Neareyn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think the person wants it to be like a spinning top.

Nerine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
then we need more details on what kind of movement you want, especially if the solution mentioned by trihan above doesn't work for you - because then it will have to be custom-fitted to your case.
It doesn't work for me. I'm looking for something that would made character spin constantly, but the player would still be able to move as usual without interrupting spin whatsoever.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, that isn't at all what you said. You said "spin if they are moving a certain direction" not "spin constantly while being able to move". Give me a sec.

It'll work if you take out the conditional branch, but there's a pause each tile for the spin. Will that do?

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Like the floor puzzles in pokemon? Where you hit the arrow tile and spin until you collide? or freely move while spinning?

Nerine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Like the floor puzzles in pokemon? Where you hit the arrow tile and spin until you collide? or freely move while spinning?
Freely move while spinning.

Nerine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ok, I did it with a brute force method, but if someone has a better solution then please share.
1622502255053.png

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ok, I did it with a brute force method, but if someone has a better solution then please share.
View attachment 190953
That is the Javascript version of what I did with the move route command; neither is necessarily better than the other, but with the event command you can put your direction facings and waits into one box rather than needing multiple script commands. It's up to you, though.

Nerine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That is the Javascript version of what I did with the move route command; neither is necessarily better than the other, but with the event command you can put your direction facings and waits into one box rather than needing multiple script commands. It's up to you, though.
Not necessarily, your version disallows movement. And player won't be able to move until move event finishes. While the thing I did works independently and won't interfere with player movement.

Neareyn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just had a random thought... What if instead of changing the direction, you change the image of the character all the time?

Nerine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just had a random thought... What if instead of changing the direction, you change the image of the character all the time?
I think It could work, though you'd have to set it up for every character separately.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I feel like the most brute force way to do this without using scripts or plugins or tons of unique spritesheets is to have four overlapping sprites, three of which are transparent at any given moment, all of them have their direction fixed, have a parallel event constantly changing the transparency of all the sprites so it looks like the player is turning and make sure all the sprites are in the same location at all times (relatively easy if you make the player sprite transparent throughout the spinning and have the "turning" events always move toward player). Making all the sprites have a stepping motion active might add to the effect.

This could be made easier by the variety of plugins that make events look like actors. If not that, you could simply create the events in such a way that a variable gets set before it starts and have the event pages set up so that the variable sets which sprite matches the player character.

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Just my way of using photoshop to fix everything here, if you want to use no code, but have a fancy for graphics, one solution would be to switch the sprite positions in the spritesheet and then use that one each time the condition is required.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Humans have such a capacity to assign personalities and love to objects. We do this because we love them. It's interesting then that our fears over AI are that they won't love us back and will instead hate us.
I'm actively looking for people who want to recreate classical compositions in the public domain for RPG Maker games. I've got a whole kick going on of looking for several resources from anyone which would be sharable amongst commercial games. This latest pursuit is something I'm surprised no one else has started doing.
I played Deltarune chapter 2 today! It was great. No spoilers, but I hope one day I can design a world as interesting as Toby Fox and team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bl1tz16