Status
Not open for further replies.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it really not as much as using properties, though? With all the erasing and events, it'd be easy to make a mistake that does something unintentional (I already have one map where I specified music to continue on in battles which somehow got transferred to battles on the world map too...) - and if this and maps-on-one-map are my only options which would be more efficient? With the latter I wouldn't need to use player movement (which looks artificial and obvious how they're merely invisible)... also, I assume Tiamat-86 is suggesting the same thing here, so this applies too...

Sure, just setting the BGM in the map settings is easier and faster, but as I said, you can't control how or when and on what conditions the music plays.

It's impossible to achieve what you want (that is, scrolling across multiple maps) with just map settings.

Also, I use this method and across 100+ maps I rarely encounter serious bugs and if I do, it's easy to root them out because I always know what event to look at. Most of the time I just make stupid mistakes by overlooking things or forgetting to change some event commands.

Trust me, doing this will greatly make your life easier down the road.

As for putting all maps on one map, this can work if the maps don't get too big. Big maps can cause lag and there are limits as to how bigs maps can get.

What you need to understand is that as a novice game developer, you often have to make compromises and you won't always be able to do everything how you picture it. You are often forced to solve problems by leaving out features, circumventing them, creating alternatives or use other methods of "simulating" the effects you want by unorthodox means.

My solution falls under the latter of these, as you don't actually "scroll the map", but rather make the player character walk around while being invisible.

It might not be the best solution since I am also not an expert, but I don't really see how my solution would be so bad that you wouldn't even consider it.

Just give it a shot on a couple of test maps, it's really not as complex are tedious as it sounds.
It worked great for me so far.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i also use 1 auto/parallel event on almost every map. helpful for day/night music/lighting/weather, anything that respawns (gathering nodes, visual encounters), and things that just change because game progress (like sidequest events, main story related destruction of things, traveling merchant), setting X Y coordinate variables to the side you enter from and changing the allow teleport/escape rope switches and changing allow save access.

thats alot of crap to try and make sure that didnt miss anything for every transfer event. 1 T junction field map thats 6 transfer events right there (3 going in and 3 leaving) and if used teleport you kinda skip all of them. was much less work and less prone to errors to just have the 1 event on every map for all these.

when i playing around with class change system can access while in any safe zones with different outfit for each class/character i just added the checks and sprite changes into that maps event.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have given you the solution (and I believe others have also given you the same solution). 7 maps is a very SMALL number to have to change. The alternative is to write a plugin that will ignore the BGM setting on the map for a period of time, and it honestly would take longer to write and test a plugin than it would take you to modify 7 maps.

There isn't always a solution that requires next to no effort. Sometimes you have to do more work than you'd like to have a certain feature that you like. When that happens, you have to decide which is worse - spending the time to do it, or doing without that feature.

You now know how to do what you want. Is this thread ready to be closed?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If it is for a scene you make a special cutscene version. That's the solution. I have a bunch of maps that I put under a map called cutscenes that are just for cutscenes. Plus you may use them again in other scenes so they will already be there for them.

Also game dev is a LOT of work. If making 7 maps and music changes is too much work I hate to tell you what you are in for as you get more into the game. I once spent 2 weeks just on the database.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 17th October 2021

That moment when you came up with a very good game title, but when you searched it, it has already been used... T.T
Crazy week. My anxiety decides to go nutz. Worse thing about it is that it causes me to lose focus on my work. I was able to leave early one day and take a nap. Seemed to help. How is everyone? Boosters coming soon here. Get my life back on track again.
Finally got my new Discord Server up & Running! I'm still improving it as much as I can, & I'm open for any Suggestions!
I've been busy trying out different art styles for my game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolfy0913