RMMV Anybody interested in a Sci-Fi adventure game?

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dear Community,

as a big scifi fan myself, I noticed a lack of complex scifi RPG Maker games out there.
Is it maybe because there is no demand for it?

Either way, I've been working on a new game with a friend now for a couple months. We are still in an early stage.
We are in the phase of costumizing our own menu, message system, mission system, battle system, etc. Therefore, we are still flexible in terms of changing features.

We have some features planned, that we love from scifi universes like Mass Effect, XCOM, or Knight Of The Old Republik.
The setting is a mix of cyberpunk and clean sterile futuristic utopia, depending on the location. The story will have multiple outcomes (can't say how many yet) and you will be able to choose what to do next storywise. You can just go through with the main story or roam around, learn about the game universe and complete side missions for rewards and experience.

My question is, what makes a good SCI-FI rpg in your opinion? And what do you hate in scifi games?

I would love to hear what you have to say!

Kind regards,
Lanzy

/Edit:
I uploaded a little preview of our menu. There are some placeholders and missing images. But you will get the concept of the menu. I hope you like it. Of course I'm open to critique.

Menu Preview

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a good game (personally) MUST have 2 things in general (fan of zelda specially).

Great story, with adventure, puzzle, actions in it.
Good envirnoment and surroundings to enjoy and go back too.

those 2 are the most important of a good game, I dont mind if its sci-fi or modern,
as long it has those 2 in it.

multiple choices that can affect endings, relation, different paths t unlock else closed
permantly or I dont know, doesn't bother me.

I enjoy adventure and puzzle in a good story.
nice adventure and puzzle/action and envirnoment and BAD story = a big no no for me.

I'm always happy to try a game that has promising images/sceenshots.
but if the story is bad and wont continue, because I want to enjoy the game that
has a story in it (top of the list).
adventure and the stuff = 2nd place, anything beyond is option, but must fit the game. :)

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My question is, what makes a good SCI-FI rpg in your opinion? And what do you hate in scifi games?
I dunno, same things that make a good game I guess? It's like the old dirge about writing a good sci-fi story: just write a good story.

But, if ya looking for just random bits I like... :biggrin: Here goes:

I like beam guns!
I like space cowboys!
I like butts!
I like weird bureaucracy!
I like space marines!
I like info terminals you can hack!
I like genetically altered humans!
I like parasites!
I like drop ships!
I like boarding actions!
I like hot shot pilots!
I like beer!

Aaaand... things I hate:

I hate green-skinned space babes.
I hate aliens that are just humans with weird habits.
I hate humanoid aliens in general, actually.
I hate comms that always work.
I hate space battles that are basically just naval battles.
I hate gimmick planets.
I hate tech that's just there to make the story work.
I hate no-strings-attached psionics.
I hate cute animal companions.
I hate robot dogs.
I hate robots that are just like people, except deadpan.

There ya go, any help? :biggrin:

zeroace074

Making sick games and forgetting I can draw
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I love most about sci fi games is that you can have a large amount of variety with all kinds of concepts, like you can incorporate elements of advanced technology with ancient structures, like DOOM Eternal where you can travel to a city ruin on earth, a demon ridden mars base, or a citadel of ancient warriors in the mountains. Futuristic technology also makes for some really cool gameplay mechanics that you wouldn't normally make sense in some fantasy games, like mechs (although quite a lot of these mechanics can be transferrable in the form of magic). I also LOVE the style of them, especially games with a cyberpunk / clean futuristic utopia feel that you suggested. There's just something about them that i find really cool. The game's setting (and characters if the game is story heavy) can pretty much make or break it.

In terms of SCI-FI, I would say that one of the most important things to be wary of is to not to make it too oversaturated with scifi cliches - like spaceship battles, zombie apocalypses, cosmic horrors (like evil gods or things like cthulu) etc. This is what I hate the most. Even if it had a good story and the rest of the game was incredible, I most likely wouldn't play a game if it was like because I've seen things the same is it many times before. They get stale pretty quickly.

Honestly, there isn't too much difference between the core of sci fi and fantasy games, as with both you should focus of having a good story while having good gameplay and graphics to go along with it, plus a soundtrack and good characters to complement these.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, I am not the writer like people here. I am writing too many words. I am just answer and respond to the point as possible.

We have some features planned, that we love from scifi universes like Mass Effect, XCOM, or Knight Of The Old Republik.
Who said that? I like those games.
The setting is a mix of cyberpunk and clean sterile futuristic utopia, depending on the location. The story will have multiple outcomes (can't say how many yet) and you will be able to choose what to do next storywise.
From what I observed many people here are sole developers. They needs to assemble the team to make that happen because it would overworked for anyone do by themselves.

What I see that blight in the SCI-FI rpg is the illusion of freedom of choice. If you give the choices, I hope it will impact the story somehow.

Last edited:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
what makes a good SCI-FI rpg in your opinion?
depends on the genre of sci-fi.
Star Trek is as much sci-fi as The Matrix, or Terminator, but Star Trek is 100 times larger in times of lore and actual space.
and while on the subject of Star Trek, I think they found their balance point with their Elite Force saga, and Star Trek Online: people, walking around, the giant realm that is the universe.
(as opposed to, Starfleet Command, Armada, or Academy, which were more management and strategy than adventure)

the point being: sci-fi revolves around SIZE.
sci-fi universes are *BIG*.... like, literally, light-years BIG.
so, that size involves a lot of diversity and complexity.
......BUT! :

And what do you hate in scifi games?
overuse of the trope.
No Man's Sky is one example: way too big, way too complex, and a lore that doesn't manage to take off.
if they had removed the crafting system and made it an optional feature, and if they had toned down the sheer size of the universe (so you can visit many Earth-like planets over the course of your play, rather than almost every planet being Mars-like or Venus-like), it would have worked.

take a story like Game Of Thrones, for example, and try to imagine it in a sci-fi setting, you pretty much get Star Wars.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think the most important is not to go too clichee. I played through Detroit Become Human and now Im a little bit tired of seeing Androids with AI, holograms or flying drones. Something fresh in a SciFi settings would be great.

Another problem would be the lack of SciFi Tilesets. Sure you can use the RTP Tilesets, but then it will look and feel like any other RpgMaker SciFi game.

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for you feedback! It's good to know that we are on the right path with our ideas. We also take a good story over graphics anytime of the day. Although that doesn't necessarily mean the game has to look like a pile of poop.

a good game (personally) MUST have 2 things in general (fan of zelda specially).

Great story, with adventure, puzzle, actions in it.
Good envirnoment and surroundings to enjoy and go back too.

those 2 are the most important of a good game, I dont mind if its sci-fi or modern,
as long it has those 2 in it.

multiple choices that can affect endings, relation, different paths t unlock else closed
permantly or I dont know, doesn't bother me.

I enjoy adventure and puzzle in a good story.
nice adventure and puzzle/action and envirnoment and BAD story = a big no no for me.

I'm always happy to try a game that has promising images/sceenshots.
but if the story is bad and wont continue, because I want to enjoy the game that
has a story in it (top of the list).
adventure and the stuff = 2nd place, anything beyond is option, but must fit the game. :)
Yes, story is definetly on top of our list. We would like our game to be both, look great and have a good story. We are willing to go for a marathon development on this one.

I dunno, same things that make a good game I guess? It's like the old dirge about writing a good sci-fi story: just write a good story.

But, if ya looking for just random bits I like... :biggrin: Here goes:

I like beam guns!
I like space cowboys!
I like butts!
I like weird bureaucracy!
I like space marines!
I like info terminals you can hack!
I like genetically altered humans!
I like parasites!
I like drop ships!
I like boarding actions!
I like hot shot pilots!
I like beer!

Aaaand... things I hate:

I hate green-skinned space babes.
I hate aliens that are just humans with weird habits.
I hate humanoid aliens in general, actually.
I hate comms that always work.
I hate space battles that are basically just naval battles.
I hate gimmick planets.
I hate tech that's just there to make the story work.
I hate no-strings-attached psionics.
I hate cute animal companions.
I hate robot dogs.
I hate robots that are just like people, except deadpan.

There ya go, any help? :biggrin:
No sexy, big boob, space babes, I promise!
But what type of robots are left to use if you don't like so many? :o

What I love most about sci fi games is that you can have a large amount of variety with all kinds of concepts, like you can incorporate elements of advanced technology with ancient structures, like DOOM Eternal where you can travel to a city ruin on earth, a demon ridden mars base, or a citadel of ancient warriors in the mountains. Futuristic technology also makes for some really cool gameplay mechanics that you wouldn't normally make sense in some fantasy games, like mechs (although quite a lot of these mechanics can be transferrable in the form of magic). I also LOVE the style of them, especially games with a cyberpunk / clean futuristic utopia feel that you suggested. There's just something about them that i find really cool. The game's setting (and characters if the game is story heavy) can pretty much make or break it.

In terms of SCI-FI, I would say that one of the most important things to be wary of is to not to make it too oversaturated with scifi cliches - like spaceship battles, zombie apocalypses, cosmic horrors (like evil gods or things like cthulu) etc. This is what I hate the most. Even if it had a good story and the rest of the game was incredible, I most likely wouldn't play a game if it was like because I've seen things the same is it many times before. They get stale pretty quickly.

Honestly, there isn't too much difference between the core of sci fi and fantasy games, as with both you should focus of having a good story while having good gameplay and graphics to go along with it, plus a soundtrack and good characters to complement these.
Agreed. Space battles would probably be a small element, if any, in the game. And even if so, it would only be a cut scene. Zombie apocalypse scenarios can be cool in my opinion, if you do it right. Like if it's from beginning to end the same ****, I would get bored pretty quickly. How many zombies do you fight before it gets repetitive and lame, right? Cosmic horrors or any mythical elements shouldn't be in a scifi movie in my opinion. At least that's not how we envision a good scifi game.

Sorry, I am not the writer like people here. I am writing too many words. I am just answer and respond to the point as possible.

Who said that? I like those games.

From what I observed many people here are sole developers. They needs to assemble the team to make that happen because it would overworked for anyone do by themselves.

What I see that blight in the SCI-FI rpg is the illusion of freedom of choice. If you give the choices, I hope it will impact the story somehow.
We are working on a system that will have an impact depending on the players behavior. We are only 2 people working on this game, but we also have no time pressure. We would be dillusional to think it won't take us at least 3-4 years until this is done. But we are dedicated to this :)

depends on the genre of sci-fi.
Star Trek is as much sci-fi as The Matrix, or Terminator, but Star Trek is 100 times larger in times of lore and actual space.
and while on the subject of Star Trek, I think they found their balance point with their Elite Force saga, and Star Trek Online: people, walking around, the giant realm that is the universe.
(as opposed to, Starfleet Command, Armada, or Academy, which were more management and strategy than adventure)

the point being: sci-fi revolves around SIZE.
sci-fi universes are *BIG*.... like, literally, light-years BIG.
so, that size involves a lot of diversity and complexity.
......BUT! :

overuse of the trope.
No Man's Sky is one example: way too big, way too complex, and a lore that doesn't manage to take off.
if they had removed the crafting system and made it an optional feature, and if they had toned down the sheer size of the universe (so you can visit many Earth-like planets over the course of your play, rather than almost every planet being Mars-like or Venus-like), it would have worked.

take a story like Game Of Thrones, for example, and try to imagine it in a sci-fi setting, you pretty much get Star Wars.
In terms of atmosphere and universe, we envision an environment as seen in Mass Effect. A lively, people filled atmosphere, in space stations, ships and bases, that makes it all come to life. But also, we are not big fans of procedually generated maps. Each world or destination will have it's place in out story, be it main story lines, or just side missions that reveal details of the universe it plays in.

Game of Thrones is a good example, except for the last 2 seasons, they never existed...

I think the most important is not to go too clichee. I played through Detroit Become Human and now Im a little bit tired of seeing Androids with AI, holograms or flying drones. Something fresh in a SciFi settings would be great.

Another problem would be the lack of SciFi Tilesets. Sure you can use the RTP Tilesets, but then it will look and feel like any other RpgMaker SciFi game.
Big Fan of Detroit Become Human, such a good game! We are aiming to make the dialog system similar to DBH, but without a time limit or action sequences. Although, now that I think about it ... hmm

Scifi tilesets won't be a big issue, since we make our maps from costum made parallaxes. As a matter of fact, no default MV systems, fonts, icons, faces, characters, windows, or chipsets will be used. After all, the style has to be coherent, right? :D

We are also big fans of unique and interesting stories. Scifi in itself is a big genre and we have all seen stargate to andromeda to babylon 5 to star trek. So many stories have been told already, it will definetly be a challenge to tell a new and fresh one. But we have cooked up some interesting ideas :)

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Scifi in itself is a big genre and we have all seen stargate to andromeda to babylon 5 to star trek. So many stories have been told already, it will definetly be a challenge to tell a new and fresh one
how about a Mandalorian, then?
Star Wars, but without the Jedi.... Star Wars, on the frontier, like Firefly.

in fact, you could pick up where Firefly left off: a bunch of mercenaries on the run from a corrupt government, that is also fighting a war with an alien species.
.....and if that alien species is bugs, and you pull off a Starship Troopers,... that'd be fantastic.

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
how about a Mandalorian, then?
Star Wars, but without the Jedi.... Star Wars, on the frontier, like Firefly.

in fact, you could pick up where Firefly left off: a bunch of mercenaries on the run from a corrupt government, that is also fighting a war with an alien species.
.....and if that alien species is bugs, and you pull off a Starship Troopers,... that'd be fantastic.
I love Firefly. They should have never cancelled the show...

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No sexy, big boob, space babes, I promise!
But what type of robots are left to use if you don't like so many?
Oh, I don't know... robots that are more like real robots? Or... robots that are so much like people that you can no longer tell the difference, like in Blade Runner? Or robots that are just super-efficient killers, like in the Matrix? Lotsa possibilities! :biggrin:

(Also I kinda like Robo from Chrono Trigger, although he was kinda lame, too. But his "Imma spend a thousand years planting a forest" gig was AWESEOM.)

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing that scifi games do that I hate is use space travel as a glorified loading screen instead of letting you control your spaceship. Lookin at you, Destiny...

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like sci-fi a lot, and I'm making an open world cyberpunk RPG myself. Instead of being clean and slick, it's dark and grungy, like Blade Runner. The systems are heavily inspired by Knights of the Old Republic, and DnD by extension.

An engaging story is a must have. If the story isn't interesting for the players, then no one will play it.

I love exploring and extensive lore. This helps a lot to make a cohesive game world. Atmosphere is super important! Make me feel like I'm there.

I find technobabble used as a Deus Ex Machina to be annoying. Star Trek is full of this. If it's used in a humorous context, as a parody of how technobabble is normally used, then I'm fine with it.

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as a big scifi fan myself, I noticed a lack of complex scifi RPG Maker games out there.
Is it maybe because there is no demand for it?
There's certainly demand, but the RTP Maker has very few sci-fi assets and there aren't a lot of sci-fi DLCs out there. As a result, you have to make most of the art yourself - which is what's preventing a lot of people from making sci-fi games, unless they got dedicated artists for it.

I like a good story that's character driven, has the protagonist cross boundaries and explore things never encountered by the character before, a well executed combat system where you engage enemies together with trusty allies with whom your character develops complex relationships.

From what I can see, you're currently developing your prototype for it, which is good. The most essential systems should be ready & tested early on.

But be careful not to start too overambitious, otherwise you'll get trapped in cycle of half-functioning systems preventing you from progressing & getting some demo versions out. Been there, done that, it's not good for a project. So maybe don't try to make Mass Effect Lanzy Edition right away, ease your way into the things that matter and build a limited core experience that you know you can pull off.

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I uploaded a little preview of our menu. There are some placeholders and missing images. But you will get the concept of the menu. The menu is 100% costum. I hope you like it. Of course I'm open to critique.

Menu Preview

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Going to submit to this game jam...struggling with the time crunch...
Have to keep compromising...
Just released a new OST for my game and a new place to purchase it!

Ah, things to do when you finish a game.
Ami
Me: It's dark cloudy! I hope it's Rain…
(2-3 Hours Later,Changed To Sunny)
Me: :kaolivid:
EpicFILE wrote on Dr_Bonehead's profile.
Dr_Bonehead? You're in this forum too? :D
Take a listen to this beautiful 1975 supermarket music. :D

Somehow it makes me think that the actual real world is still at 1970s. What we experience now is just a futuristic dream. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kajusampai