Toremneon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,

as I wrote before I use the Victor Engine for the game I am making, but I have some problems setting thinks up or moding some of it. Therefore I tried to reach Victor for some help or tipps but he seems not to be online on his own blog or here in the forum.

So anybody knows how to reach him?

I read that he had some private issues and not much time anymore to help people and make plugins for RPG Maker. But he has some really good stuff, and I kind of want to make it work.

I would be willing to pay him for his help or ******* so he will not get out empty handed. But I don't know how to get in contact.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I spoke with him last November, about some modifications I had made to some of his code.
he hasn't responded yet.

either he's super thrilled by it, or he keeps asking himself "....what... the.....ffff......?"

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unfortunately, most major plug-in writers seem to be unreachable these days. I don't know if it is due to personal issues, or if they just got so overloaded with requests they had to start ignoring them. But as it is, most major plug-in are now sink or swim it appears.

SimProse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
These days I just assume (with most plugins anyway) that i'm on my own with modding or if there are bugs or whatever. It tends to be safer.

Toremneon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is bad. I mean I was on his blog and I saw how he good bombed with requests just like mine would be ... I totally get it when someone has to back up from this at some point.

But he did put in so much work in his plugins and now just let them rot where they are.

By the way that Nightingale Downs Game looks very good I will play it in the future for sure.^^

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Victor's scripts/plugins are well-written and very presentable, but they run into a lot of compatibility issues and are hard to modify. Unless your game is entirely all Victor, there's bound to be a few problems you'll need to troubleshoot on your own.

And I mostly just stick to Yanfly now even though Victor's work offers more options and looks more original. Yanfly has a large income from his *******, so he's constantly updating his code to address bugs and compatibility. That and there's a ton of people using Yanfly, so any issue has usually already been figured out by several other users.

Toremneon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I know. The point is want to have MP Point System like in the Suikoden games so I need Victors plugin for that, and with it his core engine and so on ...

Some of Yanflys stuff can still be used, but I will have to see.

But that is why I wanted to ask Victor some stuff and maybe get some help.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Have you gone to his site and attempted to speak with him?
https://victorenginescripts.wordpress.com/
He usually replies when i speak with him.
I think most plugin makes slide away if they're not able to get enough patrons... or.. that's what i theorize might have happen with him.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I think Yanfly was a part of driving other coders away. I'm not trying to badmouth Yanfly - he's done a lot of great work. But it made it hard for the other coders as there was a constant push for them to code compatible to Yanfly, even when they felt that his methods were not best practice. In addition, with so many Yanfly plugins coming out so quickly and many people sticking only to his, they felt there wasn't a lot of point in coding.

I can't speak as to whether this is why Victor disappeared or not, I'm speaking more to bgillisp's assessment that many are no longer around.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
another user here was working on one, which brought up Victor's plugin.

Wait, that's my plugin. How does this tie in with Victor's plugin and MP and Suikoden? You might have to refresh my memory on your previous query as well. It's not ringing a bell just yet.

Toremneon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I also don't see what you Plugin has to do with the MP System I need. But it is a nice Plugin by the way!!!

Honestly, I think Yanfly was a part of driving other coders away. I'm not trying to badmouth Yanfly - he's done a lot of great work. But it made it hard for the other coders as there was a constant push for them to code compatible to Yanfly, even when they felt that his methods were not best practice.

I thought the same think yesterday. I mean his work is very good but his success makes it hard for others to gain a place and hold it in terms of Plugins. And for Yanfly it is hard because hunderts of people as him to get their stuff working.

Maybe other Pluginers should also band together and aline their work to have a better stand together.

By the way, I tried to make an MP System like I need it with Yanflys Limited Skill Use Plugin but it was not way it could work the way I needed it.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wait, that's my plugin. How does this tie in with Victor's plugin and MP and Suikoden? You might have to refresh my memory on your previous query as well. It's not ringing a bell just yet.

I asked how you were managing skill slots and different masteries.
but I might have misplaced the VE plugin from somewhere else.... I remembered talking about MP and skills somewhere, and somebody brought up the VE plugin.... might have not been your thread, though.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, okay. That sounds a little more familiar. I don't remember Victor's plugin coming up so that probably was elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I'm not all that familiar with Suikoden so I don't know the MP system you are trying to implement.

Toremneon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Basic Idea is that every Character has uses for his spells.

There are 4 Levels of spells, and the uses grow by magic stat. (In victors Plugin By level but that is ok, since it can be made for each character seperate.)

So a character has lik:

Level 1 5/5 Uses
Level 2 3/3 Uses
Level 3 1/1 Uses
Level 4 0/0 Uses

Just as an example. Actually this works quite good with the plugin, would just need some more window setting changing and I would be happy.

Most questions to Victor would be about action sequences and his side view battle stuff. I made a different post for that to you can see it here:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/action-sequences-in-victor-engine.92831/
I am just a total noob if it comes to action sequences.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If I were you I'd go to the classified subforums and see how much it'd cost to make or fix that custom script/plugin you want. It doesn't seem like it'd take too much work, and I'd justify "time wasted trying to find a fix or figure it out yourself for 8 hours" > $10-$50.

Toremneon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That was kind of the offer I wanted to make to Victor.^^

Will just see, if someone in my newly found game making squad might have a clue and then ask aorund for more help here.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Speaking of Yanfly, no... I don't think Yanfly would be the reason that drives away scripters. Granted, Yanfly is my idol inspiration, it never was be my reason, so take it with a grain of salt. Problem with Yanfly, is not about Yanfly and their script, it just I don't know why some of Yanfly's script functionality is not a part of default script, but instead make it as separate addons. Some of Yanfly's scripts are critical to have as default script, so that other people would be "forced" to adapt with it. I just wish the next generation of RM (if there's any) would hire Yanfly as the scripter, or at least put some of the scripts as default one

Okay, so it's getting out of track, but as a scripter myself, I'd say the one major driving force is that, they write script for a sake of writing script. In my opinion, if scripters only write script it won't last long. Because once they get bored on it and lose interest on writing script, they'd just abandon it. They might see RM as a script playground of "making these and those". Could you tell that how many scripters that actually doing gamedev? no? only few of them are doing gamedev, and the one who do gamedev might last longer. Did you ever see Victor make a game? or maybe I missed his game somewhere?

Speaking of contacting him, I can't help.
A friend of mine also used to have a hard time contacting him few years back. So idk about it

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well actually, I've personally spoken to a few coders on the matter, and yes, for some of them at least, it was a contributing factor. Again, I'm not trying to badmouth Yanfly or blame him - but having your plugins constantly overlooked for his or people constantly complaining that you need to make them compatible with his can be discouraging.

@Toremneon There was a group who did make a collaborative effort early on.

At any rate, this topic is well off subject and has served it's purpose I believe, as I'm not sure Victor wants to be contacted right now. If anyone has any information to add to the original topic, please report it so we can reopen it. Because right now, I'm going to close and encourage you to post your plugin related inquiries in the right forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm sure the latest post/thread in the sidebar used to have 5 posts. Was it always been like this?

Made it to the 10th video doing this! :kaocry:

renderTimingPixel.png
Made the "My Beating Mystery" board today:
3ENFLSC.png

in Grim Trigger episodes 3 & 4, the main characters play a Clue rip-off board game called "My Beating Mystery" (haha), so of course I had to draw the board for it. Can't decide if I wanna add blood or not
Jeez...
I finally decide, after several ppl asking me to, to create a gamethread about project M... And my internet craps out on me halfway through the process :(
making my first game is like trying to stuff all my experience with old games into one
so its slow and painful when i dont get it right... i bet the next game is gonna be finished earlier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faizalaila