Anyone else a little over whelmed with the amount of plugins we got?

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Bernkastel, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't even know where to begin. I watched all the plugin spotlight videos and really, the biggest thing I remember is needing a lot of CORE plugins.

Can someone make a list or screenshot of what the plugin manager will be like, order and such, with at least all of the core and required plugins installed to allow use of any of the other plugins?

2. Silent Darkness

Silent Darkness Robomage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I gotta admit, it is somewhat intimidating just to look at all of it.

Probably the best thing to do is to just gather up a big library of scripts, and then pick the ones you need for the project at hand.

3. wizaerd

wizaerd Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm overwhelmed with them, and don't really want to use a lot of them, although there are a few nuggets I'd like to have in my game... Shame I don't remember which ones they're in...  Shame there's no decent documentation... SHame it's a lot of manual copying & pasting...

Silent Darkness and Bokou like this.
  4. Bernkastel

First Language:
    English
    Just add everything to the NewData folder and you will never have to place them in your projects again. all new projects will be created with all the content

5. Bernkastel

First Language:
    English
    I want to experiment and get to know all of them. my main issue is knowing exactly what all the core/required pluggins are and what order to have them in. after that I'll experiment with each plugin on it's own!

6. wizaerd

First Language:
    English
    And all your games are exponentially bigger than they need to be with lots of unnecessary and unused stuff.  Not an appropriate solution.

7. Chaz

Chaz Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I haven't been too overwhelmed by the new scripts, though that was in part because I watched through the various plugin showcase videos on the RPG Maker Channel and decided from there what I'd likely want to use for my adventure!

8. Yanfly

Yanfly Developer

If you're referring to mine, the best way to lay them out would be in the order shown here:

http://yanfly.moe/yep/

from top to bottom.❤

9. Bernkastel

First Language:
    English
    it's a good idea while constantly creating new projects to experiment with everything. once you know what you like you can always trim the newdata folder

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    None of the plugins is really needed, you can make games without them.

They just add a lot of functions that can improve gameplay if used correctly.

If you think that a tiny group of less than a hundred plugins to check and choose from is a problem, then you should never check out the Ace Master Script List. After four years of game development the community had written over 1000 scripts to select from (up to 4-5 different scripts for the more popular functions like crafting).

That is why we always say that you don't NEED any scripts (or plugins) and only add those who really add to your game experience (and not just bloat it).

Or as I say: A titanic list of features is the best way to go Titanic (to the bottom of the ocean) with your game project...

11. wizaerd

First Language:
    English
    I disagree, for me... I'm not an experimenter by nature.  I'd much rather have a list of what these plugins offer, so I can pick & choose instead of using trial & error.

12. Bernkastel

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for that! what about all of the other core plugins? are there any others? I just want to get all of the cores setup first before moving on. thanks again!

13. Hoppy

Hoppy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I looked at those plugins and was like oh dear god, I wouldn't add 40-50 plugins anyway, it could cause all sorts of problems.

14. wizaerd

First Language:
    English
    I don't.  If I need something I search for it specifically, I do not just browse any massive list. I only want what I want, not a bunch of other stuff that'll just bloat my game, and make it more complex than I want it to be.

15. Bernkastel

First Language:
    English
    oh yeah, I know that for sure. scripts were my fav part about ACE but I was never given a pack of 50 scripts with little instructions on install order. each script on that list has specific instructions. (as in as I got scripts from the master list, I got them one at a time).

yanfly helped a lot with their list but I'm still wondering about the rest

16. Silent Darkness

Silent Darkness Robomage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That doesn't work for me. At least, definitely not with music files. I have to place them manually into the project folder.

EDIT: Also, the translations on the help files made by what I presume are japanese scripters................i'm not gonna make a Zero Wing reference, but the grammar makes it a bit hard to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  17. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't feel overwhelmed at all, I'm super happy and excited for them! Although I do wish you could move them easier in the plugin manager.

18. Bernkastel

First Language:
    English
    some of my plugins are still in japanese with no translation it seems

19. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bernkastel, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to quote and respond to multiple people at once, there's a MultiQuote button you can use for that.

I think it's best to work out what you NEED to have in your game, then decide what plugins are necessary, and what cores they require, rather than just adding everything. The more you add that you really don't need, the more likely you are to run into compatibility issues.

Going to move this to JS Support

Silent Darkness likes this.