Anyone else ever consider becoming an industry patron?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by byronclaude, Mar 23, 2017.

1. byronclaude

byronclaude Master of all things... (except the things I am no Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Lately, I have finally been getting a grip on life (it has taken all 37 years to start to master things like: work, bills, stress, etc.)

But now, having mastered a schedule that allows me to return to the gaming world in pursuit of my childhood hobby, I find myself paying closer attention to the games that deliver the most fun. I find myself interested in the developer... in some cases wishing that the developer would consider a sequel.

On such case (and yes, I am moving about 2 1/2 years behind schedule with this) that I found myself completely in LOVE with a game, was Unepic. I found this by accident shopping for Wii U games one day, and became crazy in love with this beautiful piece of work! I actually wrote to the author to commend him for creating this masterful gaming experience.

But as time goes on, I have begun contemplating the sponsorship of such developers. Has anyone else ever thought about this?

- It helps to fund artists (always good for the industry).
    - It strengthens the video-game development community as a whole
    - It curbs video-game development in such a way to benefit the player with titles of profound interest to the player.

Does anyone else ever contemplate private funding of game creation / resource creation for developers simply to curb the industry? (in otherwords, not for personal profit?)

Reapergurl and Andronius like this.
  2. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    From what I understand, sites like Patreon have been gaining steam in recent years, presumably indicating a lot of people that want to do exactly what you describe. I can't say that I've personally considered it, though, because that's really the domain of people who have... well, money. :kaoswt2:

Reapergurl, byronclaude and Andronius like this.
  3. Andronius

Andronius Apprentice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What a wonderful topic, many things to reflect about.
    :cutesmile: I envy you ... wish I could say the same, but no. Far still from mastering, well, any of those really.
    :popcorn: Right there with you, and I totally feel with you man. Sometimes, it just takes us time to come back to "the origin", to those games that made so much impact on our childhood (and personalities). But it's beautiful to come back and visit those worlds, after so much has happened in our lives, and experience again the games of our youth. One experience them in a totally different way, and appreciate them much better.
    :o How is it that I never heard of this masterpiece before?! Man, thanks for sharing these links! It's beautiful. Just read the site, completely, and watch every video, and everything they have there. It's really amazing how they got to deliver such a great, original product, and how they managed to put together such an international team of awesomeness. Incredibly inspiring. And its wonderful that you wrote to the author (I sometimes do that). What was he like? Did he tell you something about the adventure of creating the game from scratch, sponsoring, team-work or something interesting?
    :blink: What a good question, and what an important subject to research and think about (not only the funding issue, but how the new ways of funding shape game-developement nowadays). I have personally considered it, at least daydreaming (wishful thinking :guffaw:, because as @Rhaeami said: that's really the domain of people with... well, money). I even thought of donating for Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 when they were in the developement process, because I thought how awesome would it be to have an Inn made in the game after my instructions, or an ingame portrait, or to get to desging a magic pet or a spell (soon I snapped out of it and realized it was and absurd, crazy notion, since I'm far from being rich to throw $5.000 or so into a game just for fun). But those huge funding campaigns for Pillars of Eternity and Larian Studios, with several hundred thousand of backers, made me think about that topics you mentioned. And it's utterly interesnting to compare game-development just 20 years ago to what's happening now: back then, there were no such things as backers, fan-funding nor kickstarter campaings, but they developed immortal products that still stand today as classics. How much freedom do game developers really have today? Does the monetary and funding issues (and having to please the huge mobs of backers) doesn't have a down-side too?
    Oh well, too much to reflect on. Anyway, thanks for bringing this up, and for sharing Unepic.

Reapergurl and byronclaude like this.
  4. byronclaude

byronclaude Master of all things... (except the things I am no Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I admit it feels strange to be able to say that. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way wealthy... but compared to many prior eras in my life, I am coming to terms with the truth that I am actually moving in the right direction (a hard thing actually for a person to pat themselves on the back for).

I firmly agree!
    I feel the exact same way you just reacted to UnEpic... and after many many hours of wonderful game-play - I am completely in love with it. (despite that critics claim the Wii U version offers less - it is still the only version I have encountered and still was fantastic.) I wish anything I would have known about it when it was released. It is an example of how simplicity (along with a little "metroid-vania") can still yield great work.

The author's response was brief but great... he seemed surprised actually by the myriad list of wonderful things I had to say about the game and thanked my whole-heartedly for my feedback. I decided that I would not bother him any further as I am sure his time is valuable. (though I admit to wishing we had talked further. hehe).

Trust me, if I had 5,000 dollars to throw down whimsically for a project,... then "UnEpic 2" would be the first thing I would try to make happen hahaha. I wish I had that kind of money.

Had I caught UnEpic (and even other titles with such luster) upon their release... knowing what I know now... I think I would have been tempted to reach out to the author(s) and just inquire: what would it take to motivate a sequel? Because the worse that could happen is for them to say - "Nothing, because I am not interested in making one." But if it was simply a matter of money, I may not be able to fund it entirely... but I am beginning to contemplate offering partial funding... and/or assist with fundraising work or free marketing.

@Andronius - Your feedback is exactly the kind of opinions/thoughts I was after... thanks~!

Reapergurl and Andronius like this.
  5. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I did just that; I donated $100 to the development of Frets on Fire, though this was...

About ten years ago or so...

My donation was not in vain, even if FoF was eventually out done by FoFiX, then Phase Shift.

It did contribute to the revolution that kept the rhythm games alive...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Andronius likes this.
  6. Andronius

Andronius Apprentice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :blink: Actually, u know what? U convinced me of getting UnEpic. :cutesmile: I mean, I can't donate $5.000, or even $100 (LoL I can't even afford the tiles I need from @Celianna for my own project ;_;) BUT I can contribute with the $8 bucks for UnEpic! :D (who knows, perhaps if the dev sees the game is still being purchased like 4 years later after release, then he'll be enticed to think of a sequel!)
    (. . . installing . . . :p:thumbsup-left: )

EDIT: ( . installed . :rock-left:B):rock-right: ). When pause to make this edit, the game says:
    "If you paused the game to go to the bathroom, make sure
    you bring a lighter with you.
    You never know if you're going to need it. . . . . . "
    :guffaw:
    Man, I'm gonna love this! :cutesmile:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Reapergurl likes this.
  7. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you have the dime to spare, why not? Otherwise, most indie devs would be just as happy if you could help spread word of their game around. God knows we could use the help ourselves.

Reapergurl likes this.
  8. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @sabao Ohhh, that's a good point. You can pour all the funds you want into development, but even "real" game studios can fall victim to the harsh realities of insufficient advertising. I know that much all too well. :kaoswt:

Reapergurl likes this.