Anyone Else...Let Down by MV?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by TheReboot, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Alexa Angel

Alexa Angel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I love MV but I will play devils advocate to support other peoples opinion.

Well if they would have said that Shin, the clear answer is money... lol why does anyone do anything at work?? For money.

If they wouldn't have allowed all these other choices they wouldn't have made as much money.

It is a business and a business rule is do not release a faulty product. But mistakes happen..

Imagine a barber cutting my hair too short, saying ahh it will grow back in a few days. Do I say "Oh that is okay, I love getting the haircut that makes me look like a boy?"

A mover scratching up my house walls, saying oh it will take a moment to repair and paint the wall. "Ah go ahead scratch them all up you didn't have to do a great and professional job or anything."

A new car coming out with a faults. They are criticized and I doubt you'd be like ah well I didn't get what the sales person said I would, but they didn't need to add that in...

A paid service and/or product is an equal trade of goods.

Therefore all paid services and products deserve to be criticized if they have flaws.

2. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think the only thing I am let down by is people who need to check their privilege. 

How is it not worth the $80? Go get any other game engine and it's worth multiple times more than that. The resources provided alone would cost you legitimately a couple thousand dollars. 

Just like any game, when it first comes out it is going to have some hiccups. Give it time and it will get better. 

Until then, enjoy what's provided. Play around with Ace for a little while until it lives up to your expectations, because it will. It's been like a week, calm down.

Susan, slimmmeiske2, Dalph and 2 others like this.
  3. Alexa Angel

Alexa Angel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @"Just like any game, when it first comes out it is going to have some hiccups. Give it time and it will get better. "

But you do not thrive in business with that logic. "Someone else released something with flaws we can to!!"

The resources will not cost a thousand dollars unless only you could use them. Big difference between custom and public commercial art.

Last point goes back to my point in my last post. Would you wait and not drive a car you just paid for while it got fixed?? Paid services and products should all be the same. Flawless.

Obviously it's near impossible to release flawless anything anymore but to say it shouldn't be criticized is ludicrous.

To some people 80$ is a lot of money and to get the program they saved up for and cannot use it and to think that is okay, is insane!

If anything the criticism should help them make their products better. Just as we criticize our members when they release a flawed game.

It is kinda hypocrisy to deny peoples opinion and criticism of MV, then turn around and criticize a members flawed game, art, music so fourth.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
    Ruby likes this.
  4. Token

Token Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    ok, this is a minor nitpick, but can people stop saying the RTP is worth thousands of dollars? It would be worth thousands of dollars for exclusive rights to the RTP. That's not what you're getting when you buy RPG Maker. The RTP is worth what you pay for it: <= $80 dollars

Tsukihime likes this.
  5. Ruby

First Language:
    English
    @Alexa: You make some good points. I never said that it can't be criticized, some people are bringing up some very compelling arguments, but to say that I can't tell people to check their privilege is what's ludicrous. If people can't fork over $80 because it's too much money and because it's too much money for them we should provide everything they want or else MV is worthless and sucks, then maybe those people shouldn't be purchasing something they can't afford and expect more than what was told was going to be given. It has been said many times that there will be additional plugins freely available for your use, because you guys can't wait and feel the need to complain about it, is crazy. 

Be my guest to complain, it isn't going to change what's already happened or how it was already released. I think that this is a great deal. Think about all of the free resources you will be getting in the future too. I mean, maybe I just think too rationally, idk.

Susan likes this.
  6. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't stop facepalming at people that really expect something to be 100% bug free, flawless and perfectly compatible with everything at day one. Guys pls, let's get real here. I won't deny that it has some minor bugs at the moment (that can be major for someone) but like I said they're working "hard" on it, overall the engine is functional and powerful, you can easily make games with it (the test-event feature makes it even easier than ACE to use). 

Ruby, Susan and DoctorMolotov like this.
  7. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Elmlor.com Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You are actually quite wrong. The more people that own a resource the less value it becomes. Not only that 3D and 2D Assets for free with CC options are in the 100,000's if not more. Engines like Unity is now free unless you make 100k profit..... Then you pay 1500 a year or was it for the version....

Either way I hate to be that guy but comparing RPG Maker with other engines is beyond a joke. I like RPG Maker and RPG Maker is it's own type of thing but don't ever compare apples and oranges it is insulting and fanboyish. 

Anyways I think it's time to close this thread. It's now just raging fanboys and constructive criticism can't exist here anymore. 

Tsukihime likes this.
  8. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What does privilege have to do with any of this? Why do we need to check it? That word is highly irrelevant in this context: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/privilege

To be on topic, constructive criticism is important. Obviously expectations cannot always be met and expectations will also differ wildly from person to person. Nonetheless I think it's important that everyone get to voice their concerns and/or complaints without fear of being told they are invalid. Otherwise how would the creators of any product know what areas to improve? And just the same it should be accepted that others can and likely will disagree with one's complaints and counter them with their own reasoning. But we should remain courteous to others when having these arguments.

Ruby and Nirwanda like this.
  9. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Elmlor.com Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Don't forget nothing is ever perfect and everything could do with improvements. Please also note some these posts were before the first update and when people were quite frustrated with new changes. Things of course will ease up overtime as well as it already has since launch. 

Ruby and Galenmereth like this.
  10. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It is important to compare engines because that's how competition works. I don't objectively look at one product and then choose it when there's another product that's objectively also good, but better in comparison.

Unity requires payment after 100k revenue, not profit.

Licensing for unity is flat 1500 (+1500 per additional add-on for each platform)

It wouldn't make sense for them to charge $1500/yr when they have a $75/mo option available.

11. Ruby

First Language:
    English
    Ah, that was for a specific post that I read on here. I should have quoted, but I really wanted to keep it general. That's my fault.

Also, saying "check you privilege" is something a lot of people say around here, maybe not where you are from though.

Anyway, since I have to say this; My post was to the people being highly unreasonable. My post was NOT to people with constructive criticism. Considering I stated that many people have compelling arguments. You just have to think about how frustrating seeing this type of thread is, it's like we hear it a million times, but no one really talks about the good as much as their like "Well it doesn't have this so I'm disappointed." 

I agree that this thread should be closed. 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.