Anyone else trying to learn to do things for their game?

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by LuLingqi1, Jul 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LuLingqi1

LuLingqi1 A Spellthief With A Bone To Pick Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I tried to make a thing due to wanting to be able to do pixel art for my game to make my own sprites. And this happened.

It's nothing, like it's literally nothing. And I hate it and am so dissatisfied with my first attempt at pixel art, lol.

It's so frikkin small. She's suppose to be blinking. Lol.

New Piskel.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2016
    Tylerb2012, Nemo and Kino like this.
  2. Kino

Kino EIS Game Dev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It takes time, but I can understand your frustration. I have a hard time with pixel art myself. But, I think you did well; I can see the blinking. And, it's still proportional. Lol; when I make my first attempt it's not how I like it. But I think we ourselves, can be our harshest critics eh?

Susan and LuLingqi1 like this.
  3. LuLingqi1

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ahaha. Maybe you're right. I hadn't realized my canvas size was SO SMALL. It was like 32 by 32. So I'm upping it to 100 by 100 and retrying. Le sigh. Do you do a lot of Pixel Art?

4. cekobico

cekobico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    I learned Javascript, I learned UI/UX, I learned animation and particle rendering...

Yeah, it's hard to do a low-budget game xD

5. Soulnet

Soulnet Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not artistic at all! I reckon if you put up me for pixel art vs a dog with a paint brush the dog would win :)  

Keep going!

6. Nemo

Nemo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm learning Pixel Art and illurstrating, and programming and FL studio. Pretty hard thing.

I use windows paint to Pixel Art, and transparent its background by other tool.

When I try more and more, it looks better. It relieved myself.

What tool do you prefer to use?

Kino likes this.
  7. LuLingqi1

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Right now I'm using Piskel to learn a bit about pixel arting. I'm not new to it, I just never got super into it. I might just make Japanese-Style Sprites. but god that takes even more work.

Haha! I almost want to see that to be honest!

Haha, I'm learning pixel art, sheet music, and some voice control for a few voice overs. I'm also learning how to do particles for abilities, but I kind of know how to do that due to custom skin making for League of Legends

8. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wouldn't recommend making your own sprites if this is your first venture into the art world. Learning how to draw takes year of experience, before things finally start to look polished and to your own satisfaction.

It's best to stick with minor edits to your game, those are pretty easy, and doesn't require you to know how to shade and keep things proportional. Just stick to small little things!

9. Soulnet

Soulnet Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm trying to learn patience. I forgot to add that. 

taarna23, Gin and Kino like this.
  10. cekobico

cekobico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Oh that sounds nice~ 

Particle is pretty fun in my ends, so I definitely helped myself learned something new that I enjoy xD

I ended up using like 2-4 default RTP and make animations for each and every skills/items in my game o_o 

Now I'm trying not to blow up my overall filesize...

11. LuLingqi1

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

The good thing about this being my first venture into pixel art, is that it's exactly that. I'm pretty good at free-hand drawings on pen and paper. So, I'm just learning basics right now. I don't intend to make the Sprite assets for another year and a half, to a max of three years. I am, however, about to start drawing concepts for portraits. So I'm excited.

12. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

If you're doing this just to improve - and not just to make assets for your game, by all means, go for it. It's a long drawn out process, but worth it in the end. I just wouldn't recommend doing it just for your game.

13. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    After realizing what makes our team "slow" for a month-long jam, we decided to do something about.

While they are useful OUTSIDE of RPG Maker, they aren't so much WITH the program. I wanted to motivate them to go beyond what they think they cannot do and try to learn as best as possible.

So I came up with this... Program?

[​IMG]

Kino likes this.
  14. LuLingqi1

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd kill myself. I have ZERO problem using RMMVs base assets. In fact, I LOVE the way the sprites and generated characters look. Odds are I'll never make my sprites, and I'll pay someone else to do that. However, I don't think I need to improve my portrait/profile drawings. -- I mean, everyone can improve, I sure can as well -- But that's the one thing I want to go into my game, that I made. The only thing I'm doing specifically for the game that is out of my comfort zone, is writing sheet music. I took vocal lessons and know how to write sheet music for a voice, but my friend said I have to write her sheet music if she's going to do the music. ;-; It's a catch 22, and I won't go into details as to why, haha.

15. Kino

Kino EIS Game Dev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Personally no,  I'm more on the scripting / programming part of things. But I do want to do more art at some point. Right now, I really want to up my programming skills.
    Though, I wish you well with your artistic adventures! If you ever need someone to take a look; I'm around.

Susan likes this.
  16. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    'General Discussion' is for discussing general principles of game making.  This, I think, is more specifically about creating resources for a game.  So...

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

17. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Editing someone else's pixel art is actually a pretty good way to learn it.  You still need to learn basic art principles, the differences between when something's done because it's the right way and when it's just due for style, and not to copy mistakes as well, but it's still an excellent place to start.

18. LuLingqi1

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Although you are a mod, I respectfully disagree. Learning things, such as art, scripting, etc, is a general principle. I have yet to ask about resources, or asked for support on them. But, what do I know? Lol. Maybe the threads title should be changed from "General Discussion" to "General Principles of Game Making". As, everything in this thread, still seems like a general principle of game making... I could be wrong though.

Truee. I'm backing off of the whole pixel art for now. I'm reading/watching tutorials, and kind of mirroring them, but I'm not putting too much time or effort into it just yet.

Tylerb2012 likes this.
  19. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The General Discussion is in the Game Development section, so renaming it would be pointless. Some topics are bit of a gray area, this is probably one of them. This topic, though perhaps not intended, is really discussing resources of different sorts, which is I'm sure why ksjp17 moved it. In the long run, it's really not that big of a deal.

20. LuLingqi1

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, since it was moved to a completely different area, it sort of boxes the thread in. While it isn't a big deal as you said, I just don't want anyone to think this is strictly about resources. Like, people are learning to balance, and do events, and what not. They might not feel this be the right place to discuss it, and I think it should be.

But that would be assuming this thread would remain active. Which it probably wont, lol!

But to get it back moving, am I the only one extremely daunted by Yanfly's lunatic modes? I need to learn to script I think, but I'd be spreading myself to thin on that. Especially since I've decided to just keep to the art and character/skill development for right now.