Anyone ever had to deal with overuse syndrome in their hands?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Benny Jackdaw, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Have you been able to get rid of it? If so, how did you do that?

I have been suffering from overuse injury in my hands for several months now. I have tried almost everything I can think of to get rid of it. I've tried resting constantly, stretches, massages, medicine, cutting down on the activities I love doing, REALLY cutting down on the things I love doing, SEVERELY cutting down on the things I love doing... But the condition just won't go away. But the terrifying worried I have is that the only way I'll be able to get rid of this is to outright not do any of the things I love, do nothing but rest all day, and only use my hands for chores and eating. Even a vendor at my old job said that was what I had to do to get rid of this thing.

I am asking around to see if anyone else has had this problem, and what you have done to get rid of it.

2. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Are they sure that's what you have? Like really sure? I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and before I was diagnosed they thought I had sprained my wrist, put me in splint, and said don't use it for a month. This only lead to it getting worse and was the worst advise any medical professional could have given to someone with rheumatoid arthritis. Not saying it is what you have but Dr s can be wrong about diagnosis and you should possibly seek a second opinion.

Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Is overuse syndrome the same as Repetitive Strain Injury?

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've had issues like that since I was 15 (I grew up on computers, so I developed mild cases of it early). For the wrists what I have to do is be careful how I hold them, and take breaks if it gets too bad. For the pain in the fingers when it develops I have to just not use that finger for a few days.

Basically, when it gets really bad I find taking about 3 - 5 days off to watch TV shows or movies helps a lot. But even restricting yourself to 2 - 4 hours max of computer usage a day can help too.

5. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Yes, and I am almost positive that is what I have.

6. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You could trade it in for my occupational hazard if you wanted to be an electrician for a little while. The synapses in my upper extremeties are so fried from accidental exposure to electricity at this point that I can slice my hand to the bone without feeling a thing and only notice when I spot the blood trail being left in my wake...a pretty shitty condition when you use razor sharp objects with your hands all day long but it'd certainly stop your pain problem. :D

In all seriousness though, how many hours a day do you do the things that cause your fingers to develop such pains. Can you not find anything else enjoyable to occupy some of it in order to let your hands recover? As much as you seem to like animals you'd seem like the kinda man who could appreciate a nice nature walk or even a backpacking trip (depending on your level of health otherwise). Life isn't a Sprint, it's okay to slow down and take a breath every now and then.

7. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    A lot of days, I feel like I do things like play on the computer and play on my Xbox for about 1 hour total. I can usually go into an activity like that without any discomfort in my hands, but I get discomfort and soreness within minutes of playing video games and computer. I also get sore when playing on my phone while holding my phone. Drawing and playing on my phone on a flat surface don't seem to affect my hands as quickly or as badly.

If it makes a difference, I also have problems with anxiety. My parents seem to think it's taking so long for my hands to heal because I obsess over the pain in my hands, and most days it's hard for me not to think about my hands. Could anxiety also be a problem?

As far as pain and discomfort goes, it usually doesn't feel too bad, but it's still stops me from doing things I love.

8. hp4000

hp4000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  9. VioletSpark

VioletSpark Launcher of a Thousand Ships Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which parts of your hands hurt?
    If it doesn't feel too bad, why does it stop you from doing things?

At least for me, anxiety/depression absolutely affects my pain tolerance.

10. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    There is absolutely no consistency to where it hurts. Sometimes between my thumb and my pointer, sometimes beat the edge line on my thumb, sometimes my palm, sometimes between my pinky and ring finger, sometimes the back of my hand , Etc. As for the pain stopping me from doing things, basically if I get pain in my hand from doing something, naturally that tells me stop doing it.

Also, I already have braces.