Anyone Ever Play "Bravely Default"?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Ragpuppy87, Sep 16, 2019.

?

Bravely Default?

1. Never played it...

36.4%
  2. Played it. The multiple universe thing was annoying and repetitive...

36.4%
  3. Played it. The multiple universe thing was clever and enjoyable!

27.3%
  1. Ragpuppy87

Ragpuppy87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's my first poll!:popcorn:

One of the more unique RPGs I ever played was Bravely Default. It had an interesting enough story, a neat battle system and likeable characters.

However one thing in particular I can't decide my feelings on even after multiple playthroughs is the fact that in order to obtain the true ending you basically have to play the same story multiple times. Each time in a slightly different alternate universe of sorts but mostly doing the same things, going to the same places etc.

Has anyone else played this? What are your thoughts?

2. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I liked the concept of it, but I figured out the plot twist 2 or 3 iterations before the characters did, so it was kinda annoying to continue to play towards something I knew wast not good. Even without that, it became too repetitive after some time.

M.I.A., mlogan and Ragpuppy87 like this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It kinda wore out it's welcome honestly. Maybe 1 or 2 cycles would have been enough. Plus I felt the final battle is SO unbalanced, even a level 99 party the final battle could mop the floor with me, and no online suggested builds worked. But then again, I'm of the opinion that if I can mop the floor with all the other fights in the game, the boss should be doable, and this one was not.

M.I.A. and Ragpuppy87 like this.
  4. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I LOVE Bravely Default series!! There are SOO many creative ways to break the game in your favor, and there are big bosses that require a lot of strategy. The stories are cute. The characters are cute. The game play is fair and forgiving (in general).

All that aside, I really do despise "replaying" content when it's presented as "new story plot". I really do. I just hate it. It's a cheap devise to use. I fell like replaying similar content as part of the story was a tool used in RPGs of my childhood, where memory and data was much more limited. Bravely could have done something even better than "multiple dimensions/timelines" etc.

I'm by no means a completionist, but I do like to get a lot of the content. And I LOVED the Vampire class in BD, but the Catmancer version in BS? It was laaaame.

Also, The Bravely series introduced some very fun and unique job classes. I like the Wizard who can augment their spells.. I loved the Bishop with Good Measure.. I like the Fencer with the stances.. but my all time favorite addition, which I believe should be a job class going forward in the FF series as a whole?.. well.. obviously the BEST Job Class of all time!!...

[​IMG]

Mmm... Battle Cake... ;P
    -MIA

Attached Files:

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  5. Ragpuppy87

Ragpuppy87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @M.I.A. I really tried to like the Catmancer Class. I even incorporated the term "Catmancer" into my project. It had so much potential... but Vampire just did it better... And yes I loved the idea of a Pastry Chef Class. Never could quite get the hang of it in my playthroughs of Bravely Second but I still found it very creative. The entire series is definitely full of a lot of creativity. Memorable characters, even the villains are likeable.

It's all these positives that make the one glaring negative stand out more to me. And why I still can't really make up my mind about it. Most games I can say easily at the end whether I enjoyed it or not. This one really left me scratching my head.

M.I.A. likes this.
  6. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think the biggest downfall for Catmancer vs. Vampire for me is that the Catmancer required the use of items in addition to learning the skills. The Patissier also required the use of items (in general I don't like skills/jobs that rely on items), but the Patissier's job was to make the foes easier to fight based on your preferred skill sets. Also, they sling cake at people. And that's awesome. HAHA!! One my favorite set ups in BS was to have 4 Guardians with Mimic.. get them up to 100% Energy, and then Brave 4x, cast Beam (or whatever), and then have the other 3 Guardians Brave 4x and use Mimic.. hooolawdy... the damage output... it was INSANE!! And FREE!! Haha.

I think one of my favorite features of BS was the Continue Fighting in Random Battles. I capped out a lot of stats/lvls/jobs by Continuing in battle.

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    It was nice but I prefer Bravely Second...

Lonewulf123, Seacliff and Ragpuppy87 like this.
  8. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Same.
    Bravely Second, for me at least, improves on the majority of the weaknesses of Default. Both with storytelling and gameplay mechanics.

Especially with worldbuilding. This bugged me when playing Default but before playing Second:
    It was only ten years before the start of Bravely Default before the plague that ends up killing nearly half of the world's population, and the only result of this in Bravely Default is that it kickstarted the Anti-Crystilism movement. The event isn't even mentioned until around 20 hours into the game, but it's an event so catastrophic and recent that it should still have major effects on every city. Anything else could have caused Anti-Crystilism and the story would still be the same.

It wasn't until Second until they thought: "Hey, maybe this event should be an important part of the majority of the character's backstories."

9. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Played it, but never finished it. Loved the visuals and the music, but everything else didn't do it for me. All of the characters were super annoying and had zero chemistry with each other. Dialogue scenes were way too long and were either boring or annoying. Despite a large list of different classes, I felt locked into a single class for each character because switching meant having to grind class skills all over again. Combat, ultimately, didn't feel very interesting. Hated how you couldn't see how much HP bosses had left, so you just have to play it safe the whole time through until it randomly dies after ages of beating up on it.

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  10. Lonewulf123

Lonewulf123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Enlish
    Have I played it? I only dream of Bravely Third every night.

11. isoovak

isoovak Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    I prefer Bravely Second too

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  12. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I’ve played it years ago. It’s a very polished game and the music is great. But I remember I quit playing it because I found it kinda boring and the story wasn’t enough to keep me going and the gameplay loop wasn’t addictive enough either.

But people freaking love it! It unfortunately just wasn’t for me.

Ragpuppy87 likes this.