Anyone going to college? What do you major in?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Mr. Detective, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Mister.Right

Mister.Right Veteran Veteran

Right, college is really a waste of time for Computer Science, Programmer, Information Technology majors due to school unable to keep up with fast changing technologies. School is all about business-making money and they make money on you. If you are not careful planning you might end up with a lot of debt and jobless. The best school you should go for is vocational school where they teach you skills needed for employment, cut all other classes that you don't really need such as history, general science.

2. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

I agree with your post, but I will add that I find that people tend to be too quick to use assumptions and absolutes way to often about cases like these (not pointing at you). 

People are way too complex to simplify something like this that much in most cases.  It is the reason I said, " 1. Something you love and are at least decent at," and, 2. "Something you enjoy and are really good at." Aka. For most people are going to want some amount of money to a varying degree, and at the same time, most people are going to want to do something they enjoy to at least a certain point (I put 1 ahead of 2 for me personally).  So a person might pick something they enjoy less (but still do to an extent) to earn more money and still be satisfied.

To not care money much at all or to be too attached with material possessions will put you in the two groups that have a crazily high statistical chance to be depressed (the financially poor and the financially rich). *insert witty "moderation is key" saying here*

Basically, I recommend people ask themselves what are all of their dreams and where do you want yourself to be in 1, 5, 10, 20, 40+ years (and what careers would lead to the highest chance and highest amount of your dreams being fulfilled). Something very important to consider when picking a career that costs $80,000+ on average (and rising rapidly) to get imo.  

ex: Do you have a strong desire to make a family and want it soon?  If so, is there a job that you can take to give you lots of free time while keeping a smile on your face to allow you to spend a lot of time with you kids, stay in a positive mood to have a good time with your kids and allow you to get financially ready and stable as soon as possible?  If not, is there a career that allows you to do this, but slower? etc, etc.

@Mister.Right - I always recommend things like plumbers and electricians to people that like engineering and don't want to go into massive debt.  They have been in high demand for so long (since everyone goes to college instead) and make a ton of money for much, much cheaper training then college.

Marsigne likes this.
  3. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    As college courses are usually three or four years long, but planned beforehand, you will find that you finish learning something that's completely obsolete especially on a games course where technology advances so rapidly.

You would be much better off taking a short Computer Science course, perhaps a foundation degree, and then learning the rest yourself. Use the same books, or better, online tutorials, and learn the important things like team foundation server and project management (which they didn't teach us at Uni!).

The various computer games courses are also highly tailored so if you don't know absolutely for sure what you want to do in your team in your job, it's not worth it. For example I took Computer Games Programming. Turns out, that's not what I want to do, not in that limited scope, anyway. I could have taken Design, which branches off into character design, level design, environment design. There are countless gaming degrees and they all pidgeonhole you into one particular aspect of game development.

Games programming and design at that level is also hugely different to working on your own on an RPG Maker Project. That's what I found. Working as a tiny part of a team on something massive isn't for me. I want to make the game in my head - basically I want to write a novel, not produce the index of a tech manual.

Uzuki, Maomi and Marsigne like this.
  4. Maomi

Maomi Villager Member

True college students make most out of the time in college having a major in Partying, Minor in Drinking and Emphasis in Sex. :rock-left: :p :rock-right:

AwesomeCool and Niten Ichi Ryu like this.
  5. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @AwesomeCool

I understand not to take it to extremes lol, I was just using it as hyperbole, but I was thinking of a (number of) personal experiences dealing with people trying to shove their definition of happiness onto me. When I was younger my aunt and uncle asked me what my dream car was and I answered, "something with great mileage and not too expensive". They got mad and told me I was setting myself up for failure because I wasn't dreaming of Lamborghinis and Corvettes :p  They still do this occasionally saying I am not and can't be happy because I'm not married, don't have a big house, not making a six figure salary, etc. It's pretty annoying. Of course I aim to not be homeless, but there is no universal checklist for being happy where you are in life.

Marsigne, Uzuki and Hudell like this.
  6. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Uzuki this video made me realize i'm more game designer than people who has degree on game design.

I didn't went to college, i'm developing and studing game design since i was 17, now it feels like it was the best shot since i didn't wanted to be a producer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
    Uzuki likes this.
  7. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I always thought this happened only in movies.

8. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Some argue that those activities will generally lead to a more successful life, because in this world it's all about who you know and being able to communicate with others effectively.

9. kovak

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually it works, i've done way more network this way than being more "casual".

10. TheAlexG

TheAlexG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've tried college a few times (studying everything from game programming, to design, or art), and honestly, it wasn't for me. For lack of a better word, I found most stuff I learned boring and stale. And not in the sense of that the idea of learning was boring, but in a sense that I felt I really didn't learn much, and most stuff I just taught myself on my own.

That said, I still recommend it for most people, as while you can still learn a lot in school, you also have the advantage of networking and gaining a social circle of whatever field you so choose. So while not for me, it should still be sought after by others if they so choose. 

11. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I hear that companies in Greece prefer people from the Technological Educational Institutes (which has almost the same degree level as a university), since we also trained in labs.

So, STEM + TEI = Great Success?

I am taking a course in Computer Science.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  12. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @MaomiUm... Wow. Sounds like you two had some serious issues. XD So what does she do for a living nowadays? How good is her Japanese?

@Niten Ichi RyuNot really confident of my ability to be a shark, gotta say. I suppose it could be a boring job, depending on what you translate. I just took a phone interview for an interpreting company, and I realize just how bad I am. XD Ah well, gotta start somewhere. That reminds me, when I was in an ESL class, I had many students who couldn't understand direction. I kinda wanted to help them, like there was this one old Korean man who tried to ask me something, but I couldn't. I think it was when I had the idea of becoming an interpreter, because at that point, Calculus and Computer Science were driving me insane. :p Now I have a motivation to do more than just that. I hope this will last long.

@byronclaudeCongrats on having a successful life. I am curious, what was your $55,000 career that you abandoned? And by the way, you endured a 2 hour interview? :o My voice started to crack after 15-20 minutes being interview for a job at retail 2 years ago. I do want to follow my heart, if it knows where it's going. At the same time, I also want to make a decent salary as well. :p

@noctiluca I know the feel of doing something you hate for the sake of wealth. Just like how I feel about my current retail job. :) I hope I wouldn't have to go there. dayum. I wish I have the kind and patient heart to be a nurse, too. XD

@Tsukihime Yeah, I will definitely sign up for that class when my schedule is free, probably next spring. I just have to make sure I will have enough units to graduate first and get over the required GE courses. Problem is, in the worst case scenario, if I can't pass or don't find interest in that class, what then? I would have wasted time and have to find another path. But if it comes to that, so be it. :\

@AwesomeCool I get that money isn't always important. I used to know this girl who was my boss at the store I am working at. She doesn't have any fancy education degree, but she's pretty carefree and outgoing. She works 5 days a week, then party or goes out with her family and friends on her days off. Now she has a job at the airport, thanks to her work history and communication skills. I am not saying that's what I want, but I kinda envy her. :p I was just aiming for a decent job to live an ordinary life, too. It's just that, pride and jealousy pushed me to take a step further. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. :D

Then you suddenly remember that getting intoxicated can get everybody in a world of trouble. I am not very sociable myself, and I don't make friends, hang out or party with people. Even if I do, I could never understand how people have so much time on their hands to do that sort of thing. I am stuck with my stupid books everyday, and I received my first two Bs in two years. :(

Anyway, thanks a lot to all of you guys for your responds and feedback. :) If I didn't reply to you, it's not because I didn't care. I took all of your advice to heart. :)

Niten Ichi Ryu and Hudell like this.
  13. Maomi

Maomi Villager Member

Last I heard she's still unemployed and staying home all day. I don't know her level of proficiency, but she can read a Japanese book last I saw. She's a great example in having too many great things at birth and ended up not fitting for the real world due to being too proud of herself and having prejudice look down on other people. And, when I said she's a cute, she is indeed a F****ing cute. I was nice to her and I regretted.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her. I only enjoy watch her life going downhill and it's quiet entertaining, because SHE HAD IT COMING!

AwesomeCool likes this.
  14. Mister.Right

LoL, you must have a sense of humor. Should not blame her, blame for she was born in a rich family. I used to know this one girl who was born in wealthy family, I considered her as a friend but she treated me like her servant. Her aunt asked me to drive her to school since her parents not able to do so and because her school on my way to work. I did that for 30 days but never heard one word thank from her, and she always have me wait at least 10 to 30 minutes everyday. Sometimes, she had me waited for almost 40 minutes and then called me said she was sick and could not wake up on time and told me she did not want go to school that day. That was one of things, her other behavior was even more ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
    Maomi likes this.
  15. kovak

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    2 words: parents fault

Marsigne likes this.
  16. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Better to figure that out now before spending a few years on it.

17. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Well, I'm a chemical engineer and I'm currently thinking if I should do a Master's Degree in Engineering Management (or was it Manaagement Engineering) or an MBA. The problem is that I think I don't have enough time to shuffle thru work, life and studies and also the fact that it costs quite a lot. My main objective if I take any of the two would simply be to learn new things anyway, not really for career progression or something though they are definitely a huge progression booster.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
  18. EDOSMich

EDOSMich Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Honestly, my school career has been a great adventure to find out what I am really interested in, and besides getting a degree in something, I am already grateful for truly discovering myself.

I started with Communication Science because I was convinced for several years I belonged there, only to find out after a few months I absolutely disliked it. I switched to linguistics for a couple of weeks, but eventually got a degree in Marketing. Did it make me happy? Not at all, because in my second year of Marketing - after having brief contact with the basics of macro- and micro-economics - I discovered a genuine love for economics.

Even though I despised economics all my life during high school (it was basically the only thing I didn't do back then), I am currently studying passionately for my Master's Degree in Economics, and it's the best decision I've ever made so far. I don't care that much about the future: I love what I do and it constantly challenges me to keep improving myself and never stop learning. It will get me somewhere, and I won't have to regret a thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  19. Mister.Right

Every case is different. I know this girl who studied fashion design because that is what she loves doing. After She finished school she does not get employ at all. She then realized that though study what she loves does not guarantee her for a job she decided to go back to school study for something else.

Though study what you love but the job market is too small, that will put you into a position you must be superior skill to compete with others. Study what is on demand though you are not good at it but chances for you to get employed higher and who knows you may be love it after explored it. I know some coders who used to study Psychology, Literature...etc. That draw me to a conclusion that study something on demand and try if you have little bit love for it and make sure the job market will sustain after you finished school.

20. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    I have to agree with some of what's been said... Study what will get you work and that you won't absolutely hate on a day-to-day basis, and you can always do what you love in your off hours... Just be prepared for there being not enough hours in the day to do all the things.

AwesomeCool likes this.