Anyone has an airfryer?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Poryg, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, fellow RPG makers... Or more precisely the cooking section of them :D

Long story short, my brother is looking to gain weight, mother cannot eat solid foods and I am looking to lose weight, so we're on three different diets. In practice it would mean that I'd be cooking for myself, which is honestly not my favorite way to spend 3 hours of my time.

So I'm thinking about buying an airfryer, because from what it seems, it's a great way to minimize cooking time. Nevertheless, I don't really have too much experience with modern cooking utensils (the most modern cooking utensils we have are a teflon pan and a 14 years old oven), so I thought I'd ask you guys for recommendations of which one to buy and possibly even possible pitfalls I should avoid when buying one. I intend to fry primarily meat in it if that's of any relevance.

kaukusaki and Marsigne like this.
  2. Elliott404

Elliott404 NotRookieGamedev. NotAdvancedEither. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Who doesn't have airfryer at this point lol-.

Airfryers usually comes with instructions of how long meats/vegetables cook and temperature recommendations. While I don't recommend them for some deep fried dishes like spring rolls since textures aren't good (that's just my opinion). But it's good to reduce grease to meats like bacons and such.

Marsigne likes this.
  3. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Healthy Weight loss? Airfryer? The fryer makes no real impact on your issue, in my opinion.
    Stick with your non sticky pan and the oven.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Marsigne likes this.
  4. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have one. I like to use it for certain boxed frozen foods like jalapeno poppers.

Marsigne likes this.
  5. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I dont have an airfryer and not planning to get one either.

But if you eat patato with vegables and varry every time with other and meat, you will do good.
    just dont make big portions but eat smaller portions than normal that can do already much.

More over what you can do is:
    - Walk 1 hour a day or more,
    - Laught 10 min or longer
    - Use a bike and cycle around
    - Do push ups
    - Drink enough water =)

Marsigne likes this.
  6. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They work pretty well; my parents have one and I'm impressed by the quality of the fries it turns out. That being said, I've no idea how well they cook healthier stuff!

Marsigne likes this.
  7. Marsigne

Marsigne Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like you're spot-on. Might try it out myself. :rhappy:

8. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Marsigne likes this.
  9. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Bex I'm not trying to solve the issue of weight loss in this thread, I'm just thinking whether to buy it or not, because since we're three people on three diets, I'm essentially cooking for myself... So I'm looking for ways to save time, because as I work night shifts, I cannot afford to spend 2 hours a day cooking. Even more so if it's just for myself.

Marsigne likes this.
  10. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    normal cooking and preparation can take up to 40min tops, but if you are a bit faser, mostly 30min for a good meal.
    there a lots of recipes on the net that takes 20-30min of good food. but as far as the airfryer if its good or not, idk.

I never use it and probably not even try or wil :)

Marsigne likes this.
  11. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You've never seen me cook :kaoswt2:

Marsigne likes this.
  12. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg, what do you plan to cook? Chicken, meat, vegetables, seafood? Do you like put a large amount of oil? It is any choice but I can help you narrow down.

Marsigne likes this.
  13. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I intend to narrow it down to primarily meat. And I don't like large amounts of oil, I'm allergic to it.

Marsigne likes this.
  14. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "It takes 12-20 minutes to cook a basket of fries; Dishwasher Safe and Easy to Clean! This air fryer is perfect for frying, baking, grilling and roasting with little to no oil, the BEST gift ever!"
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Fryer-...929404&hash=item2134294cd6:g:YpMAAOSwgAJa4VOS

DISHWASHER SAFE & EASY TO CLEAN
    Gourmia GAF318 4 Qt Digital Air Fryer | Oil-Free Healthy Cooking | 7 One Touch Preset Modes | Removable, Dishwasher-Safe Tray | Free Recipe Book Included

OMORC Air Fryer, 6QT Hot Air Fryer (w/Cookbook), 1800W Fast Cook Oven, XL Large Digital Oilless Cooker w/Quick Knob & Touch Screen, 8-15 Presets, Preheat, Nonstick Basket, BPA Free, 2-Year Warranty

All of them are used an air technology to limit oil usage. I think most of the difference is size. Yeah, you just threw the meat in there and go doing something else until the bell ring. If Rizky (Schnitzel), please do not forget eggs, breadcrumbs, and flour.

Marsigne likes this.
  15. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No matter if normal Oven or Convectional Oven, something like on the Picture below is perfect to get your meat done.
    Frying Pan is stil the fastest Way to cook your Meat.
    [​IMG]
    OR
    [​IMG]
    2Hours from start to finish is realistic. Preparations/cooking + Eating + Dish washing + Chill out. Its all about Time management.

Yes cooking fresh takes some Time. I would recomment cooking for 2 Days, and just heat it up the other Day.

Edit: Internet Infos, show that Air Fryer seem to be awesome for Potatoe Fries =).
    They seem to be cool, i might Test one myself one Day. But till than i stick to the above solutions.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Marsigne likes this.
  16. Cryranos

Cryranos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like to make fries and breaded vegetables in the airfryer. I just spray them with Pam and pop them in for a few minutes, shake the chamber, and let them finish. Meat, on the other hand, has always turned out bad.

Marsigne likes this.
  17. Faherya

Faherya The Knight of the Sad Figure Veteran

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes. Everything is beautifully white, perfectly healthy and with Styrofoam taste. Styrofoam potatoes, Styrofoam meat and whatever else comes to mind. If you want to be healthy, buy one right away. If you want to be happy, buy a barbecue. With plenty of salt and sauce. :dizzy:

Marsigne likes this.
  18. StaticUndertones

StaticUndertones Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When my oven died, I tried one of those airfryers as a temporary fix, and I hated it so so much. Everything was so dry, and I get that it's the point, but that's just not the way I like my food. Everything seemed completely dehydrated. I just returned the thing and cooked food out on my grill all winter like a crazy person.

19. Nivlacart

Nivlacart Glue my hand to the tablet pen. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had an air fryer for a short period of time.
    Didn't really work. Everything came out tasting so bland.
    I get that it's meant to be healthy with less oil and all but... a crisp with no flavor is such an odd thing to bite into.

Why not get an Instant Pot? One of those pressure cooker appliances.
    You can make tons of different stews and curries with it, and they'll be largely more nutritious and flavorful.
    It'll make food your mom can eat, and if you get a rice cooker alongside it, you can control the amount of rice you eat,
    so that your bro can have heaping servings to gain weight, and you can cut down on the carbs to lose weight.

There are tons of recipes online for it too, because it's an appliance designed for people who just don't have time to cook.

20. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some thing taste decent from an air-fryer others not so much :LZSbleh:
    My experience is that the healthier the food you want to eat the less tasty it is when prepared in an air-fryer... and I mean less tasty in the most literal sense... it comes out tasting of hot air basically :guffaw:

So for your purposes I would advice against it and it really doesn't save you that much time either when cooking meat so...
    But that's just my opinion so...yeah