Anyone heard of roll gate?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Lady-J, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Lady-J

Lady-J Badlander Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Has anyone here heard of Rollgate, its got nothing to do with some scandal (since every scandal is something gate nowadays I figured I’d just nip that idea in the bud.)

It's a play by post Tabletop Roleplaying Game software. Personally I’ve always wanted to try tabletop roleplaying games, but I can’t really find time to in most cases and I honestly don’t like my own voice. Which is why I’ve never tried playing online (I didn’t know play by post was even a thing until I stumbled across this.) It seems pretty cool, I’d really like to try it at least once.

While we’re here anyone have any game systems they’ve always wanted to try. I want to try Dark Heresy (I’ve always wanted to play an Adepta Sororitas army in 40k but their minis are all metal so they’re too expensive), and Open Legend (because of how open it is. I will not apologize for the pun)

The thing is I want to play, not GM, so its been hard to get a game together.

I dunno I’m just wondering what people think about this kind of app.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    play by post is rarely done in current times, that was before the internet became standard.
    Today, they're usually using a chat-type software (if everyone can be online at the same time) or a forum (for slow long-time playing where everyone posts when they have time).

In both cases there are both free and paid software variants, with the paid ones often having specific RPG-features build-in (like rolling dice by click on the program) and a library of themed avatars and so on.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  3. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ive actyally run a few games of open legend, its a fun system. I cant say ive ever tried playing through a forum.

4. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I use discord and roll20.

Not sure I'd wanna play in this way with my friends as most of them probably couldn't spell to save their lives.

I never DM--though I might soon for testing purposes. I prefer to just play. You, and anyone else are welcome to drop by and play too.

We play dnd (5e) and starfinder. We're gonna start a new campaign which I'll be dm'ing, but my friends hate when I dm because I make them think--guess they don't like being tactical.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.
  5. Lady-J

Lady-J Badlander Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah this is what i meant by play by post and what Roll gate basically is. I thought the post meant like forum post, but i think you might be thinking post office/ mail type post.

Are you offering to GM a session, ca7se if so id agree in a heartbeat.

Yeah, my problem is that. And this will sound weird, i dont wanna talk to people. Literally. Like i dont mind writing, but talking is meh.

6. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I wasnt. But i can try it if you can find some other players. I dont like gm-ing anything less than 3 people. That and you should know, my games tend to be high casualty games

7. Lady-J

Lady-J Badlander Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, i tried, but i couldnt find anyone. I guess ill try to find someone on the site.

8. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah, it can be that way sometimes

9. Marsigne

Marsigne The RPGMaker Normie Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been thinking of GMing since some days ago, but the problem is to find players for me, haha. I do it on e5 (and roll20), though.