Anyone interested in a bust generator?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlackRoseMii, May 2, 2018.

?

Would you want a bust generator?

1. Yes!

34 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nah...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BlackRoseMii

BlackRoseMii Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've been thinking about making a simple "generator" for bust art. It would be basically a psd file where you can make your own character by only having the layers visible that you want. I know there was something like that years ago, but I can't find it anymore. I've also seen a lot of people complain about the RTP style and I thought maybe I could make a generator like that with my own art?

So my question is, would you people be interested in it? Would you want to pay something for it and if so, how much?
    (Btw, I'm a perfectionist if it's about that, so you could expect a lot of different versions and varieties ^^)

Guiguimu likes this.
  2. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Good idea!
    The only thing I can tell is that not everybody owns Photoshop, so a .psd file with layers may not be usable by everyone interested.

3. BlackRoseMii

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can open and edit it in Gimp though. I could add a link to Gimp for those that don't have photoshop, since it's free. Unfortunately, I don't have any programming knowledge, so making an "actual" generator is impossible for me ^^°

4. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    psd files can open in gimp. (ninjaed)
    But I wouldn't pay anything for just a photoshop file.
    On the other hand, if that was a piece of software that layers art added to its folder, then this change the whole thing.

5. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I would actually like this a lot! :kaojoy:

6. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd be interested, but of course it'd heavily depend on the art style that's used, and whether it fits the tone of my project. As for paying for it, it would again depend on the art style, as well as the art of being high quality.

Nightblade50 likes this.
  7. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If the art is high quality I might pay around $10.

8. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @BlackRoseMii @Dreadshadow You can open .psd files in Gimp, yes, but it's not with a guaranteed result.
    Sometimes, it works all right.
    Some other times, it's a mess.
    I suppose it depends on some effects where the equivalent doesn't exist in Gimp?

9. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I’d imagine it would help a lot of people who don’t want to use the rtp faces or alternatively want busts for their games.

10. BlackRoseMii

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @cabfe I don't have photoshop anyway. I mainly use Sai for my art and import it into Gimp for the transparency. So I don't use any specific effects.
    @Milennin @Thomas Smith The quality/artstyle would resemble something like this:
    [​IMG]
    @Dreadshadow That's exactly what I was worried about. I really want to do that, whether or not people would pay me. I just wondered if I could make some money with it.

11. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Selling raises the stakes since it is about a product. Giving it for free and giving an option for support (buy coffee) is a really different kind of approach and in my opinion, a great idea.
    Photographers give photos in public domain and by that approach make a decent living. But it needs a lot of work and a lot of time and their target group is huge. Meanwhile your target group is a part of this forum, thus don't expect a LOT of money but yeah, you can earn from people appreciating your stuff.
    I would support you in such a scenario. People might actually give you something for your work if they appreciate it. Anything they can. And maybe pay once again anything they can in the future. I mean it can be multi times support.

12. BlackRoseMii

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So basically donating, right? I know you can do that with patreon, but is there something else as an alternative?

13. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Or if you're looking into making money, consider taking paid requests from people who are looking for custom art for their game. Having a generator that gives everyone who uses it similar faces devalues the product people have paid for the more people who end up buying and using it for their games, since the more games you get with same-looking characters.

14. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There is Kickstarter.

15. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is also GoFundMe, and a few other methods too. Heck, PayPal itself will generate a donate button for you. There are a few websites that promises to make money for artists, but I would suggest being leery of anything promising fast cash.

On a side note, if you try to sell artwork outside of the community--do be careful. I deal with an art site for my job on occasion, and it can be harrowing for an artist to deal with. (As a customer, I can't draw a lick.)

16. Vaena

Vaena Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I considered doing something very similar for another platform, or just for VN style stories in general. Ended up scrapping the idea due to available free time... or rather a lack thereof, lol. What you could also try is offering a handful of samples that are very generic (say, a male wearing a plain t-shirt) for free, a larger set that is inexpensive but more detailed, then an option for custom alterations and/or higher quality of the characters for an additional fee.

That way it may help expand your fanbase a bit with the free sample sets, and also allow someone willing to spend a bit more money the option to have a higher quality or customized version of one of the characters for only their own use. (If paid, it would likely need to come with commercial rights and possibly rights to edit, to help encourage sales.)

Love the artwork, by the way.

Nightblade50 likes this.
  17. BlackRoseMii

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Mrs_Allykat I didn't know Paypal had this Oo I think that option would be the best right now, since I wouldn't need to get used to another site like this (Dollar to Euro transactions are always a headache^^°)

@Vaena I've thought about doing that. My plan was to make a small set (like 5 different hairstyles/simple outfits/basic faces) for free and make bigger sets with more complicated designs later for people to buy. Knowing me, I'd have to keep myself from making too much though ^^° And also accept individual customizations on a commission basis with a lower prize.

Vaena and Nightblade50 like this.
  18. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you have enough content, and it is quality enough, I don't see why you can't charge for it. Software or no, you'd be providing a pack of resources, and I don't see a problem with charging a reasonable price for it.

IguanaGuy and Nightblade50 like this.
  19. IguanaGuy

IguanaGuy Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Charging for your artwork and or generator is acceptable by all means so don't worry about that. When one considers the amount of time and effort it takes to do this yourself ( Not to mention having the skill to do so :eswt:) then it only makes sense. I would rather take my time doing what I can do in my project and investing funds in what I would waste time trying to do myself. (IE - Making my own quality bust art.) You don't have to give it away and you don't have to charge high price either, but what you think is fair value for your content is only right.