anyone know a good place to learn pixel art?

alltheyuriz

The System is overrated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's really hard for me to find pieces for my horror game so i want to learn and practice pixel art, I just don't know a good source, I'm really good at visual and auditory learning so if you have a youtube video or something that would really help thank you all for reading and helping me. have a nice day. ((Also sorry mods i have no idea where this goes. ; n ;))

Shaden

Programmer in JS/Batch/Python/PS/...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly I think if you just take time and patience drawing, you'll develop your own style/be able to replicate a bit a style, especially in the pixelart domain. Pixel art requires alot of patience.

Just be sure to turn off "anti-aliasing" when you do pixel art, because the "anti-aliasing" option kinda makes pixelart impossible to do. And also work mostly with a brush of 1 pixel, or 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 (it makes it way easier to rescale your pixelart if it follows a power of 2), etc etc... and keep the size of the pixel consistent (or not, again you kinda make your style and your rules).

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you Googled "pixel art tutorial"? I guarantee you'll find hundreds of articles and YouTube videos and online classes.

RavenBlueIndigo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Honestly, just start doing some art. You could start off simple with some 8-bit style pieces to learn your foundations and build from there. I've been a pixel artist for a good 4-5 years now and, at least in my case, it was something that I learned organically and not through watching videos, although you might be able to garner some tips and tricks from a few videos here and there.

Phantomsurf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
^^^ as Turan said, there's plenty of pixel art tutorials online to teach you the guidelines.

However, one of the most effective methods? Actually messing around with preexisting sprites as practice, to learn how they work. I'm sure I'm not one of the only people who learned how to sprite from modifying Pokemon and Digimon sprites back when I was a kid. It's a method that will get you far.

Just find a sprite style that you like, and start modifying sprites there. Start learning how they shape things, apply certain details, shade and color. The best way to learn how to pixel is to study the craft itself.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's an art blog that'll explain it all to you, in segments.

Follow the guidelines in this blog, and practice on this free program called Piskel.

Make sure to download the Offline version from this link since the Online version is no longer available.
I did this for years and I feel I'm very capable of my own pixel art now.
Hope this helps!

Momonica

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
https://blog.studiominiboss.com/pixelart i've been praticing my pixel arts with these. This person made all of Celeste pixel art and sprites, and his tutorials are great! He has specific tutorials for begginers if you want to start: they really helped me to get started!

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If I learned something of these tutorials, then its, you dont magically learn pixelart with them.
I mean you get the basics the idea how it works, but in the end its like drawing, you get better the more you do it.
And it takes time, but you can see the progress if you practice it regularly.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think Kipling said it best.

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
⁠And never breathe a word about your loss,
(...)
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
⁠And—which is more—you'll be a Man, my son!

Do you feel like your modern cities are too clean? I made some dumpsters and trash variations. Visit my MZ resource thread (link in signature).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serpenking