Anyone played Rune Factory 4?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by SpicyNoodleStudios, Oct 14, 2019.

1. SpicyNoodleStudios

SpicyNoodleStudios Aspiring Vigilante Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's what I'm playing right now. Waaay more lolis than I expected.

2. BlackRoseMii

BlackRoseMii Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've played it some years ago. And I have to agree that Xiao Pai and Amber are a little too young to be marriage candidates. Though I can say the same about Kiel.
    I went for Dylas and Leon. I wanted to marry Vishnal next, but I lost interest at that time.
    And I can't wait to replay it on the switch^^

SpicyNoodleStudios likes this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Many years ago. Never finished the plot of got anyone to marry me though, as the plot I hit a point where I had to grind to ridiculous levels and for marriage I couldn't get the needed random events to roll for it to start.

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Played it years ago iirc, it was pretty fun.

5. BlackRoseMii

BlackRoseMii Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think that's one of the downsides. I liked how they handled the events in RF2 (with side quests). I hope they'll change it in the 5th game.
    Also, I haven't finished it either. I got to Rune Prana but never actually went into it.

6. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I used to be a fan of Run factory series... when I was far younger. The last one I played was on Wii, I believe.

Nowadays, I can't bring myself to play it due to characters looking too young for marriage. That just gets on my nerve for some reason.

7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Actually I know people in RL who look too young for marriage to me and they are really in their 20's. I think it's more we're older and everyone under 25 looks like kids or teenagers to us.

8. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Asians tend to hold their age well until they hit 60s. I find this especially true for Koreans and Japanese.

But Runfactory characters look more close to mid teens than someone in 20s to be honest.

9. SpicyNoodleStudios

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not even planning on getting married... I don't believe in marriage... even though it's just a video game. But Margaret and Dolce are my favorites. Dolce seems mature enough for someone petite/skinny so I would probably go with her though. Just unlocked her this morning before my day started. Honestly Margaret would probably be the best other choice. So like, Dolce or Margaret.

2 characters have my moms first and middle name and one has a name that contains my moms husbands name in it so. I didn't even make that connection until today.

10. standardplayer

standardplayer Keeper of Kitties Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I played that one, although I didn't like any of them as much as I liked Rune Factory Frontier on the Wii. That was my first one, and I've never been able to beat that experience with another one. LEAST OF ALL with Tides of Destiny. I should also note, it's hard for me to like the main series as much because they're on handheld, although now that RF4S is on Switch, I want a Switch again.

11. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Rune Factory Frontier, right. That's the last one I played.

If my memories serve me right, it had a strong RPG elements as well which was probably why I liked it more and remained in my memories.

12. PaladinJessa

PaladinJessa Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I played 1, 2, 3, 4, and frontier.

-Loved 1. Not many complaints with it.

-Loved 2. Though I feel it would've been better if you started as a child then became an adult... instead of first playing as an adult then playing as their child...

-Loved 3. Had my favorite character designs.
    Gave up on 4. Didn't really like any of the characters... or the plot... still a good game.

-Hated Frontier. One word. RUNIES. I HATE the Runie system so much. Maybe I'm just bad at management, but ugh it was such a pain to vacuum them up and distribute them around. Seemed like Water always ate everything and tree runies went extinct too easily...

13. hero_buddy

hero_buddy artist and pro cat petter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    oh jeez, i loooooove RF4! it's my all time favorite video game! :kaojoy: amber is actually my favorite character in that game. i know a lot of people say she looks too young to get hitched, but i find that relatable. people still think i'm 16-17, even though i'm 21 now. i have a boy file where i'm going for her, but in my main file, i married dylas. he's a vewy kyute horsey boy and he deserves 7 million smooches.

what i don't like about that game, though, is that marriage is based on random events. and by random events-- you guessed it! they happen totally by chance. thankfully there's a trick where you can soft reset with the person you're trying to get hitched to in your party, and if an event triggers with them in it, they'll leave your party. i abused this to get married to dylas, lol.

14. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I loved many things about Rune Factory 4 when I had it for the 3DS, but there were problems.

Firstly, the way you pick your character's gender. I seem to think the game asks you "what kind of person are you", and there are two options - "I'm brave and adventurous" or "I'm caring and nurturing" - and if you pick the former, the game makes you male, and the latter, the game makes you female, then it asks you to confirm it.

Given, I'm paraphrasing the actual words it uses, but this is essentially how it works. It's bizarre. You could be an adventurous woman. You could be a nurturing guy. It just seemed very strange, and it was really off-putting right at the start of the game.

There were some other problems too, related to some of the things people have pointed out in this thread. I think one of the reasons that Stardew Valley has been successful is that as well as following many elements of the Story of Seasons formula, it also "filed down the rough edges" in places. Take that comment made by @hero_buddy about the marriage system.

The formula usually present for story events in these farming games is usually very stringent. Your character has a finite lifespan, and you have to follow quite an exacting series of events in order to trigger certain things. Many of them can only be triggered once, and are easy to "miss". Sometimes things can only be done on a second playthrough.

While there's a certain kind of "realism" to that, I don't feel it always makes for the best game. It's quite telling that also in Stardew, you can divorce your spouse, and afterwards, the game resets to a state where that person has no memory of ever marrying you (and neither do the other townspeople) so you can marry again. Sure, it's unrealistic, but it's a videogame.

This isn't really about marriage though, it's a wider topic that applies to the games as a whole.

15. SpicyNoodleStudios

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A lot of people do like that realism. For a lot of people, that extra realism anchors them in the game. They like the realistic complication, because it feels sort of relatable and maybe even applicable. Just because it's a video game doesn't mean it -has- to forego realism... Although I like the rule of cool, i've seen people upset about the rule of cool being used over realism.

@hero_buddy Dylas and Amber are so different though. Dylas is serious and gruff while Amber is... not.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  16. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh absolutely. I'm not suggesting that games such as Rune Factory 4, with their specific complexities shouldn't exist. Just they're not really for me.

17. wander

wander Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I've never heard about this game before, sounds interesting

18. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I picked up Rune Factory 4 a while back. I was a bit curious as to the series, since I'd always loved Harvest Moon.

It's... not that entertaining to me. None of the jokes would land, none of the characters seemed that interesting, and I kept just picking up a bunch of random junk I didn't care about or know what it was for.

Worse than that?

The game is VERY restricting. The game forces you to go through several dozen days just to do all the "tutorial" quests. Things unlock so slowly, and most of the tasks are just so monotonous. It constantly felt like the game was railroading me and I couldn't do anything until it arbitrarily let me do the thing I wanted to do.

I've always found that EXTREMELY frustrating about games. Locking me out of content until the dev decided I should learn about it or have access to it. It's one thing if I have to do some work in order to unlock the thing (meaning it unlocks depending on when I've finished the work, which could be quickly if I want it, or almost never if I don't care), but it's quite another to lock so much of the game off behind arbitrary amounts of time or content completion.

Rune Factory 4 has a HUGE issue with this. "You can only take one quest a day!" Why? What would happen if you let me take ALL OF THEM and then COMPLETE THEM ALL? "Oh, now you can take more than one!" Why couldn't I do that to start with? "Oh, you can't have animals on your farm until you learn how to recruit them! Wait a bunch of days for the tutorial quest to kick off so you can learn how!"

The whole game is just this silly and boring waste of time, from my perspective. I just couldn't deal with it anymore and deleted it off my 3DS.

It's probably quite telling that I got more invested in "Fantasy Life" than I did with Rune Factory 4.

I don't need the excessive hand-holding. I'm not 3. Just give me access to absolutely everything right off the bat. I can then tackle the content I want to tackle or do the tutorial if I want to learn something. Seriously...

I much prefer Stardew Valley for just being like, "Yep, go do whatever you want" and you're left to figure most of the game out by yourself. The only things I freakin' hate about EVERY new playthrough of Stardew Valley is having to wait for things to open up after the beginning of the game. Why do I have to wait for the Community Center event? Why do I have to wait for the mines to open? Why do I have to wait for the Fisherman to get back? I mean, on a first playthrough, I guess these are okay... But, subsequent playthroughs? 1000% annoying. Especially if you get a farm that's strictly for fishing... and you hafta wait several days to even fish. Oh, and you get a farm with monsters on it... but you gotta wait several days for the mines to open so you can actually get your first real weapon to fight them.

Just... no.

I like having access to everything from the minute I hit "start". Or, at least, have the option to get access to everything without having CORE FEATURES of your freakin' game locked behind a progression gate/time gate.