RMMV Anyone tried this "game screen freezes but sounds play" fix?

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One of the very rare problems I've had with my game is a situation where the user is playing, and suddenly, the game freezes.
The "game" continues to run (you can hear the SFX etc.) but the visuals have totally frozen, and either a refresh or a reload is the only way to continue playing.

This problem is a "cosmic ray" error, in that it has absolutely no obvious cause and happens really rarely. I wasted quite a while trying to figure it out, until one day I had it happen literally between two dialogue calls in the first location of my game (which means it's been played many thousands of times without issue, and every player had the exact same switches/variables etc. because practically nothing before that point even happens).

Today I've seen this possible fix for it:

However, I see this is from 2018, and I know the engine has been patched since then.

Is anyone else familiar with this problem, and know if this will fix it? Or if this would cause problems with the present version of the engine? And for this code snippet, are there any likely side-effects I should watch out for?

JGreene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I answered a thread regarding this issue earlier. But to answer your question, the only change in that snippet is to increase the skip count check to include negative values. They can occur under certain situations and, by default, the code doesn't check for them which causes a freeze.

You should be fine to make the change. But if it doesn't end up working for some odd reason, just reverse it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Alien Worlds, Minecraft Blocks, Extend Options, Fine Speed Control, Art by Muggu | RPG Maker News #33

Rest in Peace vlog gun...
vloggunsmallface.png
Another unnamed character, and probably last one for now.
She's a dragon girl inspired by fafnir dragon. as always, name suggestion is welcomed.
Dragon_Girl.jpg

Dragon_Girl_1.png
Hmm.... So I can use my quick ports of QPlugins, but QMovement breaks MZ's save system. Or I can use the Luna port of the QPlugins whose QMap breaks MZ's save system. I can't decide I want to fix one of those, or just make a new save system. The new one would look so much better.. I'm kind of tempted. :LZSexcite:
I'm very happy and I want everyone to be happy too, so I decided to share this song about the end of the world! :biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XM0ni