akuakudac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
not sure why all the answers I found online were being so vague and mysterious lol
What would be the appropriate and preferred parallax map size? Preferably in pixel as well!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is no "preferred" map size anywhere, it depends on the function of the map.

Any map should be large enough to hold everything that needs to be on it, but not larger - nothing bores players as much as too big and empty maps.

That said, there are a number of technical limitations:
Minimum map size is the screen size set for the game.
parallax map size in pixel has to be map size in tiles multiplied by grid size
due to the limits of the RAM, a game planned for mobiles should not have a parallax greater than the screen size. If the game is for older computers, 50x50 tiles should be the maximum. For modern computers up to 100x100 tiles might be possible.

other than that there are no rules and you decide on the map size you'll want.

Last edited:

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As someone who exclusively uses parallax mapping, I would highly suggest never going over somewhere like 40x40 if you are doing 3 layers. (base, tops, lighting).

akuakudac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@
There is no "preferred" map size anywhere, it depends on the function of the map.

Any map should be large enough to hold everything that needs to be on it, but not larger - nothing bores players as much as too big and empty maps.

parallax map size in pixel has to b map size in tiles multiplied by grid size
due to the limits of the RAM, a game planned for mobiles should not have a parallax greater than the screen size. If the game is for older computers, 50x50 tiles should be the maximum. For modern computers up to 100x100 tiles might be possible.

other than that there are no rules and you decide on the map size you'll want

parallax map size in pixel has to b map size in tiles multiplied by grid size

other than that there are no rules and you decide on the map size you'll want.
I see thank you so much!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Not today... Not today...
I guess I should send my CV to Hasbro. I've made Monopoly cheaters edition more fun and challenging. I've developed custom cheats and chest/chance cards for it. And I've cleared many nightmares through my cards and rules.
I'm only missing 2 more bgms for my game but maaaaan, searching for these tracks is killing me. Can't find anything good to replace MZ's Theme 2 and Scene 5 I have as placeholders. Everything is too epic or too evil or too alarming. That 'scene 5' track in particular would fit nicely with my scene. Well, at least I finally figured what my last click-fest of a gameplay element will be like, so something positive :D
Finding new interesting stuff to make for the resource calendar becomes harder every year D:
ScreenShot_8_19_2022_2_3_18.png
FINALLY got the mood system in the game during battle. Since the game is called Panic Attack, I figured you should have certain moods present including Panic. so the main 3 or Hype, Depressed, and Anxious. Panic is only when stunned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azora