April Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nolonar

Nolonar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French, German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My goals for April:
    • More working on my own project
    • Less helping others

Not helping people is hard...

As for my progress this far: I met most of my goals for March and even finished some work I intended to do later, but I'm still not satisfied with my overall progress.

2. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    My April goals:
    • Implement at least one of the mock-up menus I made during last months.
    • Sprite, sprite, sprite.
    • Start eventing the next part of the storyline. Let's be modest and say up 'till Bremen.

Marquise* likes this.
  3. A-Moonless-Night

A-Moonless-Night WINTER IS COMING Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I took March off from gam mak, which felt good, but now it's time to get back into things. I'm pretty busy with work this month, so we'll see how I go. Goals for April are mainly mapping-related:
    - Finish mapping the Sylvan Floodplain (each map is double the work because I need to do a flooded version and non-flooded version—why do I do this to myself)
    - Start mapping the interiors for Lapinne, one of my larger towns

Kes, you must have an awesome work ethic. I swear you meet your goals and then some every month!

Marquise* likes this.
  4. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    April will be another busy month.

Hopefully, I'll be able to slow down on the plugins making and also get my alpha tester back.
    So my main goals would be :
    1. Complete the demons side quest
    2. Add the last planned characters
    3. Adjust my beta plugins
    4. Do some debugging
    Ideally, I'd like to be done completely with the standard base of my main story too, but I might want to add my dragons side quest first.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Marquise* likes this.
  5. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The goal is simple:
    Get the tutorial dungeon MAPPED.

Everything else springs from that. o__o

Marquise* likes this.
  6. gcook725

gcook725 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not expecting a lot of time this month since I'm moving and looking for a new job, but here are the goals I wrote down in my journal:
    • Finish eventing weather system
    • Plan out 10 weapons, 10 armors, and 10 items, and 4 monsters (3 normal, 1 boss) for the database
    • Avoid too much bloat for initial prototype and focus on defining features instead

Marquise* likes this.
  7. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    FIIIR r r r t ~ !...??? Did I missed something? o_O
    I thought just February had shorter span most of the time. :p

To do;
    Another angle and possibly coloring a voyelship

On back burner;
    Once it AI voyelship done get the other side of the Pangofly dragon done (and nope I do not just flip assets. :) )

Happy Easter and careful those red herrings!

8. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    March went completely sideways on me, in various ways, some good & some bad; which means I probably won't be getting back onto field maps as originally intended this month.

So the goals for April are as follows.
    1) Finish up the files in the enemy & troop tabs in my database, I still need to complete humans, demons, & undead.
    2) Finish up the skill system revision/improvement I started this week.
    3) Spec out & complete the new version of class progression.
    4) Write up & post the Steam guide for the random loot generator system I created last month.

Then hopefully get back to work on field maps, next month.

Marquise* likes this.
  9. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    My goals for the 1st week:
    a) Finish (?) Shadows & Lies
    b) if a), release Shadows & Lies
    c) if b), enjoy sun (okay, regardless of b) B):rock-right:)

Zeriab and Marquise* like this.
  10. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mine are kinda ok cuz i love them
    • Finish out of combat skills
    • Rework perk system
    • Revise actors skills
    30 DAYS OF PURE LOVE

Marquise* likes this.
  11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It looks as if ambitions are quite high this month, judging by the range of goals people are setting.
    Good luck everyone.
    @A-Moonless-Night I don't know about my work ethic, but I'm certainly quite tired at the moment. I have quite a lot of RL commitments to juggle with as well.

My update:
    Have dealt with most of the stuff Zeriab sent me. What he modestly didn't mention is that he found ways to improve the performance and features of a couple of the scripts I was using, so those had to be implemented as well. Even smoother performance now.
    Dealt with queries from Indinera - when he claims to be a meanie, he knows what he's talking about!
    I am, as some of you know, using animated SV battlers. If the player chooses one particular classs for one of the actors, that actor becomes dual wield at an upgrade. However, the battler only shows one dagger being used. Did a dual wield battler sheet today, which was a bit awkward as some of his poses are a bit unusual e.g. his Victory pose is doing a somersault, and as I'm using Ace, each pose has 4 frames, not the 3 of MV. I also had to find a way to change that battler permanently only when the upgrade to the class is done. But it's now sorted. Probably something that most players wouldn't be bothered about if left as the original, but...

Zeriab and Marquise* like this.
  12. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The goals for my game, a tcg, kinda just stay the same:
    -Make more (and more interesting!) cards.
    -Make the AI do better next time.
    -Fix the bugs from the above.

Since I've had four days off work (thank you, bank holidays) I've been itching to get a new build out to show off the new two card types but... Well, fingers crossed. One day left, right?

Marquise* likes this.
  13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes let me know if @Zeriab ever points out improvements in any of my scripts. Always learning, always improving. The dual wield - you could leave it as-is, but you'd know, and it'd bug you. And you'd probably get just one or two players who would whine about it a bit.

My update:
    Half of my long weekend was lost to an emergency issue at work (I'm a programmer at a bank) which HAD to be resolved before April 1, and we only found out about on Wednesday afternoon, and everyone in my team but me was away on Thursday. It was such a relief to finish that at lunchtime on Saturday, but I was mentally drained and didn't try to work on my game for the afternoon.

Yesterday I started to write what I thought would be a small XP script, then realised just how complicated it was going to be and that it'd take quite a while to do. Then I realised that I didn't have any XP projects with actual maps and events and stuff, so I had nothing to test it on. So I dug up some of the Aveyond games and figured I'd put it in one of those. Rhen's Quest gave me an error on startup, but Ean's Quest ran okay. A good many hours later, I'm back in Thais castle with Rip (Ava One-Eye) and Dragon Dung (Uthar Pendragon), where he's asking her to take along spoiled little brother Prince Nicholas and "gently" teach him to be a nice person. Needless to say, not much progress was made on the XP script, but I did get a number of reminders about things I can do to polish my game. I think I'll have to play through a few games and then mine again when I'm ready for beta testing.

Today I actually made some progress - but it's the 80% effort goes to 20% of results kind of thing. Fixing niggly little things that need script changes or map changes or tileset changes and oodles of testing. I only completed 16 fixes from my list so far today, but chapters 2, 3 and 6 (fix list) are now nice and small, so I feel like good progress has been made.

I discovered that if you do a move route on the player and use the Change Graphic command, the sprite reverts when you transfer to a new map. Strange sensation to be swimming, then suddenly walking on water. And I have one quest where I need to get a guy so drunk that he passes out in order to progress the plot (why does that sound wrong when I say it like that?), but he holds his ale well, so I have to go find something to spike it with. On the previous play-through, I decided it's probably not such a good idea to go traipsing between cities, doing quests and having battles, while carrying an open pint of ale! Probably should leave it behind at the bar, go get the drug and bring it back. That would make more sense ...

Onward!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Marquise*, slimmmeiske2 and Zeriab like this.
  14. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, goals for the month, let's see...

• Finish up section 1 to have all events in and make everything playable.
    • Locate an artist for the little bit of artwork that is desired.
    • Begin mapping next section.
    • Enjoy a day at the beach (just 2 weeks away from this one!)

Marquise* and Kes like this.
  15. Deletrius

Deletrius Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Yep, I have one
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I've got some days off in April, so I'm going to

a) event the hell out of my open world style maps so that they get as lively as possible
    b) finish my custom mining system, which involves mining actual walls for ore and driving your own shafts into the walls
    c) create custom battlers different from those I had to scrap due to plugin reasons :(
    d) make some believable water movements and fix various small problems for this puppy so that I can release it:

Animation2.gif

Rabosion, Celianna, Shinma and 3 others like this.
  16. Kuu_t

Kuu_t Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I changed the resolution to 720x1280 for UTO, so that gives me some extra work. Anyway, I've been clever enough to do most of my originals in 1080x1920 so it shouldn't be too much. Also, I have most of my tiles 64*64 so if I want to go totally crazy and leave 48px * 48px behind, I have art for that. But I think, I'll finish this project with 48x48 tiles. Otherwise, I'll do this game forever.

So, after rescaling images, my todo-list will look like this:
    - rest of the C & B tiles for first dungeons
    - few parallax images
    - Battler animations for the second protagonist, Tohu
    - Placeholders for rest of the cutscenes in the first act
    - Basic SV_Enemies for the second dungeon
    - Two more maps for the second dungeon

If I manage to do those things, it's already a good month. Anyway, I have quite busy time in work and while I'm working as a programmer, the game development is not always on my mind while having leisure time.

Other things:
    It would be cool to meet a music artist, who could be interested in this project. I've found good tracks, but it's hard to have a good soundtrack, if not working with somebody.

Marquise* likes this.
  17. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
  18. CrazyCrab

CrazyCrab Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Haven't posted the last couple of days, stuck with some design issues and been reworking stuff. Realized that my project is, after all, rather generic and that I would rather make something more original, as, when filling in the skills, I realized that I'm pretty much copying skills from other games. Thankfully, as I'm still in the early stages, I'll just rework the general idea. Maybe write a design document for once, like the teachers keep telling us to do. I mean, the "post-apocalyptic lone survivor RPG" has been done to death. I'm sure I can come up with something better.

That said, still here and still planning to make some sort of a demo / protoype in April. That said, I'm as always, low on time - full time studying, part time working and volunteering to DM D&D two nights a week at my local game store leaves me with little time for games, sadly.

Deletrius likes this.
  19. Deletrius

Deletrius Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Yep, I have one
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    There is a reason why the good old tropes work, though, and this is definitely one of them. If you want to go with it, you can always try to find a (more) unique twist to the set up. Let's pull one out of the hat: player awakes from stasis after the end of the world as we know it by atomic bombs (done to death) ... and has to combat against the other survivors of Armageddon: mutated, intelligent, space faring cockroaches (space faring cockroaches I've so far only encountered twice, and only once in any detail).

20. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I reached my last month's goals! Let's see if I can do April :D

April goals:
    - Get a replacement VA for Neil and Dimitri
    - Add the voices in for Markus, Evelin, Mandy and Kim
    - If a replacement has been found for Neil, finish his epilogue
    - Finish Dimitri's chapters 20 & 21 and all art assets