ksart

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@bgillisp i have seen the load screen a couple times when testing so in the event they actually happen after deployment i'd rather have my own options rather than the generic "Now Loading" image (rmmv)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Vox Novus: Probably what I will do. Though I need to fix the bugs so that someone besides me who doesn't know what skills don't work or knows what is going on with no state icons yet has a fighting chance to complete it. Probably going to be 2 - 3 weeks before it gets to that state, but depends on how RL goes.

@ksart: Just wondering as I have never seen one yet. And I didn't think my comp was that state of the art (got it on clearance in 2013, they were getting rid of all windows 7 machines due to windows 8 coming out).

4.9 - 4.10 Update: Finished updating the skills, now need to work on icons for a few new states. Also started implementing Chapter 6, realized my first idea for this chapter totally stunk, and scrapped it. So ended up with no official progress except for an idea that was not going to work. Though I did manage to edit the intro scene to appropriately reflect the new idea of the chapter, so maybe that is progress of a sorts?

Also took a break and played Persona 2 probably longer than I should have. Oh, well, maybe I needed the break?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Working out dialogue, finally - I'm on about the 4th draft now of the section I'm at, and I'm much happier with it now than when I started, which is good.

Also went through and cataloged all of my current Switches and variables into a spreadsheet, and went through what they all did!

Also wrote some music at the weekend that I'm keen on finishing coz I have somewhere I can use it more or less straight away.

No more screenshots yet because I've not - graphically - at least, progressed enough to warrant more.

Oh, and spend too long playing Bioshock, but I gotta get through it as I have a massive backlog of games to play and my Steam wishlist isn't getting any smaller!! :D

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I haven't done much, since I was wrestling with Luna Engine. I've taken a break on the weekend to rest (and play a few games while I'm at it).

I also decided to keep the Luna Engine powered version of the battle system. While it does make debugging difficult, customising the UI is pretty easy. I wish the compatibility issues were as easy...

Now to fix up the compatibility issues...

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So far, I finished editing blank icon backgrounds and made a tutorial so that hopefully anyone can make whatever MV-styled icons they need. My thanks to @bgillisp for the inspiration for that. Then, I had a Monday. Given that it is still ongoing, there is further potential for disaster, haha. Something like the forums acting very strange for me. Even this reply box is being odd. Notifications are tending to show just a user avatar. Arg.

This week, I believe I will be working on tilesets, with the occasional icon thrown in for fun/not wanting to burn out on tilesets. Things like this one, which used to be a plain black thing from game-icons.

fire01.png

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Phew, I completely forgot to post, too many things to deal with, at the same time. So I'll say congrats to everybody for your progress, as I cannot give individual replies for more than two pages ^^'

As for my update, I'm done with the charsets and sideview drawings of the new characters, and the new enemies (dricaters which are giant bulls, and scorpions). The maps are 95% done, only the last cutscene remain. The stealth minigame is also complete. After this, mission IX will be over :D

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Schlangan Yayyy! Congratulations on near completion! \>w</

....Sounds like most people here got distracted playing games this week lol

My update: While pixeling iso chairs I realized that my back-facing sprites are TOTALLY wrong; they're not ISO, they're 3/4 top-down. Now I gotta redraw a good chunk of my bases... QAQ

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Luishu535: 5th game? Tell us your secret, oh great master!

@phonantiphon: It does take a few drafts to get items that sound good, doesn't it?

@Aceofaces_mod: What kind of compatibility issues? Hopefully they are easy fixes!

@taarna23: I never get my icons quite that good, GIMP or not. Though close.

@Schlangan: Slacker. Congrats though on getting (almost) mission 9 done. Doesn't this make you close to where you were before you moved over to MV?

@ashikai: I prefer to call it researching :)

4.11 Update: More icon work. Almost done. Right now every state has an icon, though my Thief and Gladiator icons may need tweaking, as I'm not sure you can tell the 10+ different poisons the Thief can inflict apart from each other. I'll keep them where they are for now until more testing is done. Most of the icons were just mergers of the RTP icons, like for instance, I merged a shield and the sleep icon to get an image of a shield with zzzz on it, and it is used for the state that allows you to block sleep. Nothing too fancy, but I think it gets the idea across as best as 24 x 24 pixels can.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@bgillisp: It does yes, but I'm getting there.

progress-wise, I've started on The Barn Interior, which is the final key area for the prologue\Kell's Farmhouse node - that's coming along nicely. I've also done some more work on background music which is sounding pretty good.

Aside from some basic sound effects as markers I'm not getting to strung out about music and so forth at the moment, as I want to concentrate on other stuff first, I can deal with all of that later.

I've got basic dialog interactions done now for the some of the main characters in this section of the game and I am also Very Pleased with my butterflies!! :D

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ashikai : Good luck for redrawing your bases. It can be tedious.

@bgillisp : I am no slacker. I am the embodiment of laziness ! Mwahahahahahahahahaha.... On a more serious note, in RPG Maker XP, I had 11 missions done.

My update :

I'm done with the Christmas tree brought in the entrance of the main building, and I started the last cutscene. I have a week off from work starting from Saturday, hence I should be able to do mission X very quickly, since the new enemies in this mission are only recolors of already seen enemies, and the tileset is the same as the current mission.

ksart

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Actually have an update! First, had a wonderful weekend with family then spent yesterday recovering from said weekend....... Today I managed to fix a couple textures and finished up character 5

here is the current main cast lineup, only 2 more left.

cast lineup 1.png

now to start on mr. 6

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not really sure how to feel right now...

I want to work on mapping more, yet I can't seem to get it done right. I was thinking of redoing my world map, so it would have each continent look like a music symbol or note... until I realized how ridiculous it sounds. I either have no ideas for Skills/States/Items, or I just don't have the right icon to make said thing and because I'm an amateur, am not sure if I can make things myself since spriting pixel by pixel takes forever. I want to fix up some sprites/SV actors... yet even though I hate that the standard generator SV Actors has the hair sticking out of the hat when it should cover it... and even though I feel, for example, that some of these SV motions don't match my characters (my Knight, pre-character development would NOT jump up and down happily at winning a battle since he's kinda stoic until later, or my Bard wouldn't have his casting animation look like that since he plays music and should tune up the frets on his lute)... I don't want to accidentally ruin the pretty spritework the RTP has...

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Little Adventurer: Don't be discouraged, the more you work at it the better you'll become at the mapping and everything else, seriously - just keep working at it. :)

As for making things yourself? Just give it a go - you might end up surprising yourself.

As for me:

Inadvertently  started doing a forest map, I was only going to create and a blank for a target and a placeholder...!

Also started on some custom spell animations for Kell, as she needs a good one for The Secret Door section that is imminent in the game plan. It's looking pretty good thus far, although clearly I need to fiddle with the saturation and so forth as I need it brighter - think Proper eyewatering Anime explosions. ;)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@phonantiphon: I heard somewhere that the first million words we write wil be garbage when it comes to a story. Wonder how true that is? Am I even at a million words yet?

@Schlangan: I'm the king of laziness though!

@Little Advanturer: Work on one thing at a time. Maybe write the story first, and use placeholders for the rest? Then once you know that you can do your story in the engine, then look at replacing the placeholders. I didn't change my facesets until I had 3+ hours of work, until then it was all RTP. And I'm just NOW replacing my icons, at 11+ hours of playtime. So focus on the story first, and use placeholders for the rest for now. That's my suggestion there.

@ksart: Ah, yes the weekend you need a weekend to recover from.

4/12 Update: Finished the icons for states, and ported them over to MV also. Now both games have a proper icon set.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@bgillisp: I hate to think how many words I've written over the years, but I don't reckon I'm at a million yet!

Never mind though, it's something to aim for!!

Marsigne

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If we participate in NanoWriMo each year, that means participating 20 times... :o

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wouldn't I need to map in order to tell my story, though? Characters don't move in empty space. 

Marsigne

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Little Adventurer - There is no right order, as you could say that the maps (setting) isn't part of the story if you make the maps before the story. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

E7DsT3VXsAInVpu

working on my avatar, because i couldn't stand looking at it anymore :D
still not finished though...
alpacaraptors = love!
''Finds icons that fits the game you're making'' Only covers 20% of what you need :p
I'm very manic-y right now. I didn't sleep and I wanted to get a bunch of stuff done, but didn't get anything done except the bare bones concept for a POSSIBLE game.
And I can't sleep now because I'm probably gonna be hanging out with my brother and I gotta discuss a bunch of BroCoG (our game group) junk with him plus it's far to late to sleep NOW.
poppetQuestBarryApproaches.jpg
While I wait for judging, I decided to start adding more "friends" to my attic. :LZSgrin:

I swear I need a whole sound pack of menacing squeaky toy noises. :kaoswt:
I can't believe I actually managed to stay motivated for the whole Game Jam duration (1 month!), definitely will be taking a break after this :0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnelson83