Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
But in order to make a story, I have to event, which means items, skills, variables, switches enc. In order to access said events, I need to map. 

Marsigne

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Little Adventurer - Good point. Though that is when gameplay is first (and is recommended for games in general), but if you make the story first (story heavy games or specific stories to be adapted to a game are examples), then you don't need to event first. It depends on what's your objective :)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've always been moreso partial to story in games. A good plot with likable characters who grow and change for the better. Gameplay IS important- make it look nice, and have the controls useable -but still, tell me a story too. Preferably something not too grimdark, because I'm kinda tired of that nowadays. What's wrong with having bright colors, letting heroes be heroes and villains be villains, having happy endings that make you feel good inside and bad endings that make you think, "I want to be better! I want to fix this!" right?

Marsigne

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Little Adventurer - I can relate with everything except the bad ending thing, as I haven't delved into that yet. :)

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ksart : How do you plan to implement these characters in RPG Maker ? Will you also completely change the tilesets ?

@Phonantiphon : Inadvertently doing a forest ? There was one tree, a second one, and suddenly poof, a complete wildlife :D

@bgillisp : Only a king ? You have still a lot of progress to do, young one :p As for million words, my first story was at least 400k, the current story the game is based on is 1.4M for now. Okay, the second half should be better then :D

@Little Adventurer : Good, bad, it depends on what kind of story you tell. You can have the standard cliché heroes fighting evil, or do something different, it's up to you. 

My update :

I'm done with mission IX. However, I need to make a few adjustments before releasing a new version. Since we now have two new characters unlocked, the former secondary missions need to be corrected. I didn't want to make any mission "missable" if we didn't do it before mission IX. Since those missions require 4 characters, it means that we have now several combinations for the party. So, I need to change the cutscenes, depending on who is in the party.

I need to adjust missions II, III, V, VI and VIII before the release. It shouldn't be too long though, only cutscenes need to be corrected with a few branching.

Idril

Widdershins Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have made just slightly more than zero progress since the last time I posted! Between school, studying for the SAT, and now fighting an annoying head cold, I haven't really had time for much else, and when I do have free time I've been working more on my writing, which is more of a priority as it is more of a career than a hobby. I have been thinking up more characters for the McKinley project and a backstory for the main character of Haven for the expansion, but it has all been in my head, not on paper just yet. Hopefully soon I will have more time, can't wait for summer >.<

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@phonantiphon: Probably depends also on how many times you've rewritten the story.

@Marsigue: Yep. Sure does. And how many of those stories are honestly good?

@Little Adventurer: I think you missed what I was saying. I was saying get the story done well, and for the rest put something that is functional. You can have placeholder maps (make them really short or something, or leave it blank and open for the fill in later points). You can have placeholder skills. The enemies can have 1 HP and just be there as a placeholder. None of that has to be totally perfect to do the story. Sure, if you do this you will be doing about the same thing as just writing a book, but then you can fill in the rest. To give you an idea, I actually started my story in the middle of the story when I first started, then once I saw it was something I could do, I went back and added a proper intro. But until then, for about 3 months, I didn't even have an intro! You just started on a map, and have at it.

@Schlangan: Just wait until the day I rule the universe :)

@Azurecyan: Nice! Though how are you measuring the percent progress?

@Idril: You and me both! Here's to hoping we can all get a lot of work done this summer.

4.13 Update: Not too much to report here, just did a run through of some of the Chapter 6 areas, mainly to test out some optional bosses and make sure they were tough but beatable. Also fixed my monster skills, as some of them were set to bad combos now that I redid a few skill sets.

ksart

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Idril hope you feel better, head colds are horrible!

@Schlangan I'm figuring that with an 8-dir camera setup i just rig out a simple set of idle/walk/run cycles per character and use each render to make the sheets. As for the tilesets, I had originally planned to digitally redraw each map and use parallax, but now i'm also considering using trying to build a new tileset in blender.. either way whatever work i do with the rtp is just for place holding purposes so i can plan layouts and work on the story... at the very least the props and doors have to be replaced.

@Little Adventurer as far as working on a story without eventing/mapping... i would suggest opening a word doc and writing down every idea you have, an outline of the story from beginning to end and then detail out each scene as needed, if you run into a dead end then just keep typing until the dead end is gone. once you have your notes fleshed out, then map out the story in rpgm, ignoring monsters and skills, those can come later.

so for my update is minor work was done on 6 & 7. mostly adjusting the sizes of both and started making the mods on 6. then i freaked out cause my laptop monitor now has a medium sized dark spot on it that wont go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All map and tilesets in Prologue demo are done as planned. Only character. battlers. events and some system left.
The language change system is done. Can always choose your play language in Option. Only language database remains.
Also, we're allowing to choose window mode when starting game and the game will save your setting for subsequent launch!

(Also can be adjusted in Options menu)

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quick Progress Report #1:

-I've just upgraded my laptop's hard drive to a 1TB 7200RPM one. Things went smooth. I'll return to gamedev stuff once I am sure that everything went ok during cloning.

Azurecyan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@bgillisp Well, I wrote out the characters and their general personalities and conflicts. Since I know my story's general conflict and the antagonist(s) and protagonists and what they're going after, I plot out the beginning and just start writing. I have a general idea of how I want the ending already, so I just fill in the story as I go. I flesh out the characters as I write the story but I also make sure they're consistent enough that the story has some complexity to it.

At the stage where I'm at is nearing the climax where the big bad is actually revealed.

Timeline of how I go about writing the story:

General Story Idea/Synopsis -> Drawing a map of the world -> plotting the key towns/areas -> Character outline -> Story Conflict -> Character Conflict -> Story writing

This is only the first stage of my writing, which is usually sloppy bullet points before I get into revisions and other work.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ksart: Ouch. That has to make drawing hard.

@luzi: Are you using the luna engine? Wondering due to the menu layout.

@Aceofaces_mod: Hope that goes well!

@azurecyan: We must work alike. I have a loose idea on paper, and then as I go I fill in the fine details on the way.

4.14 Update: Took Chapter 6 up to the where the party gets the 1st thing they need. Now I have to program the sequence where they run for their lives, as every guard assigned to guard it is now hot on their tail. Also fixed a couple bugs, and managed to wreck my project thread (don't go editing your threads right now, seems anything tabbed with spoilers gets stuck open for good once you do an edit).

ksart

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@bgillisp yeah it's now the entire bottom right corner so i'm in full project shutdown/backup mode.

can't really bring myself to work on anything important since the screen can go at any moment. so my goals just got flushed until i can get a replacement computer.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ksart: Yeah, that is in a pretty critical spot. Got a spare you can hook up?

4.15 Update: Spent today drawing up the Ice Caves for Tir Koraz. They were originally the Riverdale Ice Caves, but once I moved chapter 2 out of Riverdale the Ice Caves left that town too. Now, they are properly in Tir Koraz, and you can walk through them at least. Nothing to do in them though at the moment, that is the plan for tomorrow most likely.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
OMG you're back!! :D

Got loads done dialogue, and animations - can't wait to share...!

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp This is not Luna Engine. The game is made with RPG Maker XP. Scripter in my team made this on his own actually.

ksart

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@bgillisp unfortunately no, and now the other computer has died.

looks like this just isn't my month! some other things have come up so i'll be going back to lurker status until life settles back down. good to see we're back online, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.
For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3
Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traviscot