April Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So many updates in such a quick time. I did manage to read it all, however. Great work everyone!

Might as well update. I have gathered my resources, mostly from the forums (massive Thank You to all of the contributors out there!), some from the stores. Next phase will be to actually set them into tile sets.

Reapergurl and Marsigne like this.
  2. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Punamaagi : Why would all elemental spells do the same damage ? Earth could be more powerful but slower, wind faster but weaker, and so on ?
    @TriceratopsX : In that case would your Thunderbolt spell fail on enemies with no hearing sense ? Wouldn't the electrick shock be enough to stun them ?
    @Marquise* : Don't drink too much cola to keep you awake, it's not good for the health (says the person drinking coke all the time huh).
    @Kes : Different wealth levels is a nice idea, but in that case the town must be quite huge for different wealth classesq to appear within it ? Or is it a single rich house over a standard village ?
    @Chiara : Finishing the game #1 is the end of the beginning, but it will still be very far from the beginning of the end :D
    @Lantiz : I am curious, to generate maps, are you writing new mpa json files or are you directly editing the data variables ?
    @AceOfAces_Mod : Save archives, a nice idea. I need to find a way to transfer saves from one game to another, but MV save system is annoying as it is restricted to a specific game. I will probably have to rewrite a save through the launcher or something.
    @Amysaurus : I feel like the shade of the right breast of the woman (left side for us) does not go well with the line contour your drew.
    @mogwai : What are you trying to achieve exactly ? I didn't see much difference with your window (except that the text has placement issues when you resize your window)
    @Shinma : Don't forget to credit (I'm sure you already know that though, but I had nothing else to say to you :))

My update :

Icons were drawn, NPCs were prepared, and version 2.20 has been released ! That's one goal down. Phew.

Now, taking a little break of one or two days, before tackling mission 23, where the final fight of the first game will happen. If I get bored, I might try to compose myself the boss battle music, but I probably won't as I never did this before, and I know how long it can take to do something that doesn't destroy the ears ^^'

And then, there was silence.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Marquise*, Vox Novus, Shinma and 2 others like this.
  3. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chiara & @Schlangan: My sorcerer only gets two spells of each element (a channeled/multi-round version and a single-round version), so I figured that playing up the role of elemental resistances could give battles some more depth and keep all the spells useful throughout the game. It would also feel logical story-wise because lightning spells are the character's specialty, which means that they should be among the first ones he learns yet remain powerful.
    Of course, I'll have to think how to make the resistances and weaknesses obvious enough so that the player doesn't have to spam Scan or learn by trial and error (at least all the time). I'm not sure how adjusting spell speed would work with the battle system I want (where everyone acts immediately after receiving commands), but I do intend to make the single-round spells a bit different from each other. For instance, fire spell will lower the target's Defense and lightning has a chance to stun the target. Hopefully this somewhat long explanation made sense. :)

I haven't managed to do much since my last post due to a rush commission, but I've been fiddling with my healer's skills and pondering whether or not I should put a limit on his barriers, which were originally just based on his Spellpower. I also decided to make one of his skills to always daze the targets (instead of 20% chance) but reduce the effect of the daze (it now lower hit chance by 25% instead of 50%).

Marquise*, Reapergurl and Marsigne like this.
  4. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used CSS transitions for the opacity and resizing effects, but the transitions also affected my position on resize.

EDIT:
    @Schlangan I'm basically rewriting the Base_Window to use the DOM instead of the canvas.
    That video is kinda low res. This is the difference
    Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 2.55.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 2.54.41 PM.png
    The color is a bit off, but I think I'm accidentally grabbing a texture instead of the full background. It's a WIP.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  5. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kes , the launcher auto detects the language based on the system's language. That does rely if there is a string saved on the language file.

@Chiara , it's slightly different. The game saves on the "Saved Games" folder (along with the settings). The launcher has save management capabilities (along with backup and restore). It can't do some things (such as reading each save data) since the saves are compressed by the engine (and I don't want to risk breaking the EULA). The save management feature are importing, exporting backing up and restore (and deleting all saves).

Shinma, Reapergurl and Marsigne like this.
  6. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Digital Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Chiara + @Schlangan Yikes - I completely forgot to update her body shape! Thanks so much for the pointers! :cutesmile:

I went ahead and changed hers a bit - I think it’s less wonky now. ^^
    [​IMG]

I'm planning for today to be a brain break - I haven't been sleeping well at all this week, and that tends to make my work get sloppy if I'm looking at a screen for very long. :headshake:

7. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Schlangan My idea for the spell was that the caster is basically "Shooting" a concentrated burst of infrasound which is what causes the dizziness and temporarily disrupts their hearing (might be a stretch but meh) and what little electricity is used in the attack is what causes the damage.

Edit: Apparently the damage popups have decided to go on strike again today, which means whatever stopped the problem yesterday has stopped stopping today... The damage is still being dealt (most notably to the player) but the popups won't... well popup. So I'm going to semi-ignore the problem and keep working on the other stuff.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Amysaurus Much better with that final tweak.
    @TriceratopsX Plugin/script order can do strange things. Fingers crossed that it was only that.
    @M.I.A. I can imagine that you will be run off your feet at this time of year. But you might find that as you're working, ideas will pop into your head.
    @mogwai like Chiara, I didn't understand half of what you wrote, but that is because (as regulars of this thread know) I'm a scripting ignoramus - though not as much as I once was. But good luck with it anyway.
    @Chiara I tend not to go back to look at previous games, because I don't want to subconsciously get into a habit of always doing things the same way. I also want players who've got the earlier games to have as fresh an experience as someone coming new to them, so I remake a lot of tiles, especially roofs and walls. And great that you've nearly completed your first batch of goals. It seems that doing your list of goals in bite-sized chunks is a method which works for you.
    @Shinma Do you mean to say that you're going to put people like me (who only organize/make their individual tile sheets as they go along) to complete shame? I do hope that you only mean the first few, otherwise I shall even more chaotic than usual.
    @Schlangan It's neither huge, nor a village. But see the update below for a screenie. Congrats on getting the new version out. Having a day or two off is probably a wise move.
    @Punamaagi I find that trade-off between certainty and potency can be quite tricky to get right, but when it comes right, it adds real interest to the player's decisions.

My update
    As mentioned above in my reply to Schlangan, I've been working more on my town. This is the main part of town. The road in the top right corner leads to a plot important shrine; the road top left corner leads to a small (3 or 4 houses) very wealthy bit, the other roads are into/out of the town. This map, though, shows the 3 wall types, which indicate wealth and building function. Because of the scale of the map (small to fit here) I'll add underneath it what it is you're looking at. Still a few more NPCs to be added.
    Mapshot 137 Index [0, 0].png
    Starting top left (people live in the same building as their shop)
    Academy (classes and upgrades), couple of houses, then down a row to the Town Guardhouse, couple of houses, inn, item shop and house.
    South of the road:
    Grain merchant/farming wholesale, armory and forge, pub, house, cloth shop
    bottom corner (obviously the poorest part - not just the buildings, but even the type of well they have) going clockwise, LE = Lockwood Enterprises (a shifty organisation) milk delivery, house, laundry, couple of houses, house, bakery.
    A couple of things you can't see from a screenie, all the hanging signs sway in the breeze, and the two children just north of the road, are kicking that ball to each other.

9. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Amysaurus The portraits are looking sweet, though.

Update v.0.001

Finished the path from Auria Crater through Auria Pass to Auria Forest W.
    Still have not been able to edit the RTP to create a 'drained lake' effect (I might be asking for help on this-we'll see)
    Got the Warp/Teleport physics written down, now to implement them...

Going to have to re-write the skills/magic to include Warp/Teleport, as well as all the Yami Stones...
    Still having trouble with the common event post battle; may just be giving that up...

Marsigne likes this.
  10. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, there's been a lot of progress already!
    @Kes The map looks good. All the potted plants near the forge caught my eye, does the blacksmith also enjoy gardening?

I've gotten the base outfits for the male's sv battlers done, and I think the simple looks should work well for npcs and pre-adventure heroes. Working on them actually helped me come up with an idea of how to add some more variation to the outfits, but I've got to do some testing to see if it'll work.
    [​IMG]

Marquise*, Kes, Reapergurl and 5 others like this.
  11. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm most excited about this DOM thing even though it has a long road ahead.

I'm still in standby mode to do that Beat 'em Up collab with @exel.exe and my brother's book game. My brother keeps texting me to make changes in his book, but I can't really do anything with it until he gives me the final content.

12. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Kes , oh there are plenty of ideas up there.. just not enough time to execute them. ;)

13. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey people, it took some time, but I'm back! :D

Me too hahaha

I previously had map generators for outside, dungeon, cave, labyrinth, city, town and "side-scrolling outside", then I needed one more to generate overworld.
    So, instead of creating another extension I edited the outside generator so it could also work for overworld.

Thank you!
    The generator creates a random map at the time the player is transfered into it. I can configure it to generate everytime the player enters the map or only once.

I load the default data file then edit it when the player enters the map.

---

No much update today, other than the world map and new tiles.
    • Create an over world procedural map generation extension (done)
    • Comission an artist to make over world tiles for the main project (done)
    • Put together an introduction for the game
    • Define monsters database
    • Start eventing the over world
    Here is a screenshot of the world map [:
    [​IMG]

14. RionFish

RionFish Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Woah, some of you are super productive!

My goals for this month:

-Try and work out story details while at school next week
    -Map the first three main areas (1/3 completed)
    -Write opening events and start setting up various needed variable counters
    -Sprite at least two characters

They're fairly simple this month as I won't be able to do any actual computer-based work next week.

Marquise*, Reapergurl and Marsigne like this.
  15. feckyeslife

feckyeslife Sleepy Cat Mom Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I haven't participated in this before but it looks like a cool way to try and focus~!

Can't really attack anything effectively until next week, so about a fourth of the month is shot to begin with.
    For the rest of April though, I'm hoping to chug farther along in my base game structure:

• Working out the next set of battlers for my current dungeon. I need everything from skills to base stats (using YEP enemy levels) so this is going to take a few days >.<
    • Implement the Skill Learn tutorial. Can't put it off any longer, we're at that point where the plot makes Skill Learning accessible (and necessary!)
    • Set up first tier of skills for the core classes. Right now I've just got the basic "hit the guy! hit the guy two whole times!" skills.
    And that's all that I'm going to plan on. I'm hoping to get through all of this, but each bullet point is pretty dense with how much time things will take, particularly with respect to balancing.

Marquise* and Marsigne like this.
  16. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Way too much to respond to, so I'm just going to have to say congrats on the progress!

4.6 Update: Spent today looking at my animations, and trying to edit some of them some more. Managed to make about 5 animations that I think do not stink after a few hours, though I made about 5 more that are now in the garbage as they looked awful when playtested. Still, now the Water Mage has a few new spell animations, specifically for the Blizzard, Mass Heal I, Heal II*, Icy Cloud, and Frozen Wind spells. though Heal II's animation is still being debated if I will keep it or try again, hence the *.

17. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm having fun testing my clothing system and see what it can do :D

[​IMG]
    (ignore the icons for the ribbons, I haven't made them yet so these are placeholders haha)

I really hope it'll be ready soon for an open beta!

Marquise*, Vox Novus, Chiara and 3 others like this.
  18. exel.exe

exel.exe Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    español
    Almost there my friend @mowgai At this moment I'm doing the sketches for the characters In a couple of days and I'll have something ready to start.:rhappy:

Vox Novus, mogwai and Marsigne like this.
  19. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You are safe. I am only creating the tile sets that I know I will be using at the beginning, then create/add to them as I go along. =D

Vox Novus and Marsigne like this.
  20. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really shouldn't have skipped posting yesterday, now it's too many to reply to but I've read everything and great progress, everyone! <3

Day before yesterday's progress:
    • fixed a few things in the database, but a rearranging of items and skills is imminent, I'm sure of it, as somehow, what once had a lot of space for additional entries, has become a chaotic mess since last I've seen it (curse you skill workarounds that need extra Force Action skills set up so you work like I want you to!)
    • prepared some of the skills for implementation by writing down in plain speak what the damage formula is going to do
    Too tired for progress yesterday, so I declared it a break day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.