April Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Well, got more work done -preventive one- on the 2nd skin to go along with laundry today, which made me mentally planning about spriting. Maybe by curiosity I should ask how would be the angle to make pop & locking robot animation in RPGMaker? I was thinking about giving just the 3 frame move on the bot while allowing a 5 frames or a 7 frames move (more likely 5!) on normal other characters. Although my feel was like traditional animation; I would think all things on a 12 frame based movements, just put my keys and tapers differently.

Thought for the mind; planing. (Might be worth to share my discoveries if I manage it on the stickline character dummies. Still, really small thingies,but it might help on bot-heavy stories along humans.)

ADDENDUM
    I sometimes recommend some musicians from this forum while working hard on something that ask a lot of motivation, dulling the nervous system when doing something repetitive asking full eyes-fingers attention (yeah, I can sleepwork on a job with fine results but it ain't always good with non static materials). So for yesterday/today @Geoff Moore 's playlist just helped me a LOT and here is his shop on the forum https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...ic-hut-geoff-moore-open-free-giveaways.31649/ Anyone here with graphic high ability and not so much on the musical side, I would recommend/encourage you to peek an ear by his "hut"!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Marsigne likes this.
  2. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No specific comments as there's a headache coming up -- even if there's only a few to comment on, sorry. Good job everyone!

Today's progress:
    • decided to use "normal" drops (or more specifically, Extra Enemy Drops by Yanfly) for combat loot. There will be a lot of copy-pasting notetags involved, as I want for enemies of the same area to share a loot pool, but it's probably the most bug-resistant approach in the long term
    • added in common events for getting ingredients from events on map
    Only events for random loot containers left to do. Those will need some more planning.

Marsigne, Marquise* and Arithmetician like this.
  3. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Redid some animations for the Magus's spells, and changed the Quake spell to Tremblor, which is more mechanically similar to the other spells. I put together a new animation for Tremblor making use of the RTP.

Tremblor.png

Also, started brainstorming a list for the Mimicry skills (essentially, Monster Skills / Blue Magic).

Marsigne and Marquise* like this.
  4. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've gotten that itch again to do some game making and decided to pick up my game that I stopped working on back in December. I took a good, honest look at the game and deemed what I've worked on wasn't all that good - essentially I felt like the way the story was set up didn't really ease the player into everything, more or less thrusting them into all of it without a clear explanation. Plus as the story continued it just felt like everything was railroaded, the game is semi-open world, so the player has side quests as well some exploring to do and I felt the way I was going didn't properly showcase any of it. So I've decided to scrap everything and start from scratch, which to be honest, I never did make much progress during the previous development. Fun fact: This game was originally started 5 years ago and we (my friend and I) intended to release this in the fall of 2012. Happy 5 year anniversary game!

So, to honor the weekend celebration of a certain someones resurrection, here's my list of my goals to achieve my games resurrection
    • Set up a proper "Pre-Alpha" room where I can properly test weapons, items, enemies, skills, events, etc.
    • Create the 4 or 5 maps needed to get the story going
    • Event the opening, or at least make it playable

Well that's it, I think! I'll post sometime next week on any progress I've (hopefully) achieved.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  5. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Arithmetician pretty nice, pretty nice. :D
    @Confederacy yeah, it was probably good that you restarted. Because now you're even better. :) Good luck with this new one, though.

Alrighty. Bit of an update. I am kind of brain dead today. I want to do stuff, but I can't even figure out what I'm doing, or what I want to do. I've figured out some stuff at least.
    - In order to give myself less voice acting to do, and so I can actually start animating, I'm probably going to make a bit of a rhyme at the bottom of the screen to narrate what's going on.
    - For my battle system, I already know it's going to be tower defense, but I think I'm probably going to use a grid style with hexagons if possible (Hex loves hexagons! :kaoluv:)
    - My original idea to get your first units of the game(dragons) was having to sort them into their correct spots in a mini game. Well, that turned out to be as tedious as heck. So I'm scrapping it. Your dragons start out as eggs, and there are certain requirements to hatch them. In order to buy them, there will be a different mini game, one which will be much more fun, but will still make sense. IT'S NOT POKEMON. We are not battling and breeding. No, you have to play a mini game with fully grown dragons and then if you win, you get their eggs. It'll be kind of like an arcade game (which I'll figure out the rules for later) and if you win, you get the eggs of the dragon against which you were the most successful.
    Sadly, I haven't started any of this yet.

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Chiara : That's why my running joke is my next game is going to take place in the desert. Nothing but sand as far as the eye can see.

@Arithmetician : Hope the Persona 5 playing is too distracting. I'm making myself wait to play it until my game is shipped off for testing, as my goal is to send it to the testers end of May or very early June if all goes well.

@HexMozart88 : Good luck sorting out the implementation!

4.14 and 4.15 Update: Finished mapping Tall Oak and those $!%^& trees. Then, I moved on to adding NPC's to another area, and added two more side quests. I now am at 28 side quests in the game that can be completed (per my list).

Marsigne and Arithmetician like this.
  7. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Had some ideas for adjusting the Elementalist's skill list, which I'm currently not quite happy with, that were partially implemented. Rather than offering a straight boost to elemental damage, they now can deal additional bonus damage upon striking a weakness.

Brainstormed a list of 22 skills for Mimicry (essentially Monster Skills / Blue Magic, to use the Final Fantasy equivalent)

Whirlwind
    Froth
    Fire Breath
    Electrocute
    Upheaval
    Laser
    Implosion
    Void Flare
    Mystery Magic

Healing Wind
    Greater Ward
    Transfusion
    Levitation

Blood Fang
    Fatal Claw
    Rampage

Pollen
    Digestive Acid
    Confusion
    Fearsome Roar
    Flash
    Debilitate

Technically, my Mimics can copy nearly any enemy ability with their Copycat skill. But those above are the ones that can be a part of their permanent skill set.

@bgillisp I have played a lot of Persona 5 - I'm near the end of the second dungeon by now, and have about 22 hours on the game.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  8. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp thanks, but I don't even know where to start! @.@

Marsigne likes this.
  9. RionFish

RionFish Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, some updates to my list:

-Try and work out story details while at school Done with that week of school, got a little bit of story worked out but not as much as I would have liked.
    -Map the first three main areas (1/3 completed) I imported my first parallax map into the editor to make sure everything worked a-ok, fixed a couple minor things, and I'm not working on the second map.
    -Write opening events and start setting up various needed variable counters
    -Sprite at least two characters

Regarding the last item, somehow I've ended up working on my character busts instead of sprites. I'm not sure how I managed to be that unfocused, but it happens.

Marsigne, fhloup and Marquise* like this.
  10. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, seems like I underestimated Easter. I have been spending most of the week with my family, which has meant that I've had on average 1-2 hours of computer time per day and have mostly had to resort to using my laptop without a tablet or a mouse (due to sleeping arrangements). I don't expect things to change until Monday, so... I guess I'll have to move my objectives for this week onto the next week. >_>'

I did quickly skim though the posts I had missed, though. Good job on the progress and good luck with those of you who've had to restart/redo things (or who have ended up doing so)! I hope you've had an inspiring week.

Marsigne likes this.
  11. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Digital Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I slept really poorly last night (Go Insomnia Go!), so I've been kinda out of it today lol. I decided to take it easy and finish touching up my older portraits and their animation frames, and then get started on a new portrait:

[​IMG]

12. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Marsigne likes this.
  13. fhloup

fhloup Mentalist, not mental. Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So far here's what Kai and I have done:

- Created placeholder maps and selected tilesets for all areas.
    - Created an event: Oden the cat, that wanders around onscreen. We played with the movement settings to figure out what each setting does. We still need to understand zones.
    - Created a logical game progression (the "plot"). We need to figure out how to have npc events give clues based on previous game criteria met. Example: Kai needs to get a screwdriver to help dad. NPC character Lilly will only give this clue if Kai has already done a previous step.

It's fun so far. We have no deadline, and are working on this a couple days for around an hour at a time. I watch tutorials and am learning eventing on the side. Kai, my son, gets bored of making stuff after an hour, so it helps if I know how to guide him to make what we need.

14. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I'm back... sorta.

So, I decided to give up on my project, the side project.
    It was nothing like I thougth about when I started it, things got very far from the main goal so, no more mini game.
    But, I'll focus all my work on the main project and as such, I decided to change a lot of stuff in it.
    I'll start over from the very begining.

First off, I've been making generic plugins (that could be used in any game), but instead I'll recreate everything thinking on the ending result. Which means: I'll code only for this project. I'll keep some code tho, like the map generators, weather effects and time management.

I want to create a tool system that is going to be the most important part of the game, relating to fighting, crafting, interacting and such.
    So I really need to think about it and how it's going to work, then I won't post any list today.

That's it, good luck everyone, you're doing great.
    Hope to be back soon.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Marsigne, Marquise* and fhloup like this.
  15. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Sorry everyone I actually have a little computer fight at hands now. It kinda "puked" my keyboard signals and kinda putted it in a coma. :/
    So... as it mebace back to restart soon and it is when $*1+* happens and WX don't take NO for an answer... *sigh*

Happy Easter anyway!

Marsigne likes this.
  16. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #3:

Immortal Sins:
    -Adding more NPCs. Some of them also talk (and they give out some lore as well).
    -Tweaking the Battle UI a bit. Mostly resizing the bars on actor's status. Although somehow broke the TP display again... Grrr...
    -Doing some re-balancing.
    -Testing the new AI.

Marsigne likes this.
  17. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So here's my progress that I've gotten done over the weekend:
    • Got the pre-alpha room set up so that I can easily set up testing.
    • Made the first pass for 2 of the 4/5 necessary maps made, mostly done but could go over adding some extra details
    • Got the first two minutes of the intro playable
    • Organized my plugin layouts and implemented Thomas Addison MV lighting
    • Made a splash screen
    And then as I was in the middle of playtesting what I had one more time, my computer suddenly shut off and my battery backup had a neverending beep which pretty much indicated the batteries in my battery backup died. So my computer won't be back up until either the 20th or the 24th - and it doesn't help that my laptop has been having battery issues as well.

Oh well, I ended up buying Persona 5 to keep me preoccupied in the mean time. Didn't really care for Persona 3 and I skipped over 4, but so far P5 is hitting all the right notes and then some.

18. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Progress:

The updating/fine-tuning of my custom battle system for the new project is almost finished. Yay!

19. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Digital Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @HexMozart88 Yup!

Let's see... so far today I had a group call with my team. We had some plot details to go over, and we (thankfully!) ended up getting everyone's questions answered.

Here's a look at the final set of edits to my portraits:
    [​IMG]

I'll update with some examples of the animated portraits once I get those finished up. :smile:

20. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update:

1) Completed the face & character graphics for the military units. Though I still need to do some palette swaps for the last few NPC groups like Butlers, Maids, Merchants, Ship Captains, etcetera. NPC graphics are approximately 95% complete.
    2) Adding the detail works to my new icon sheet, which should be completed in a day or two. Icon Sheet is approximately 80% complete.
    3) Created new window skin for the project. Wasn't on the list, but I had an idea & liked how it turned out. Though I'll probably play with it more later.
    After I finish up the new Icon Sheet, & finish adjusting all of the states, skills, items, weapons & armors respective icons; I am going to start adding the rest of the enemies & troops to the database so I can put them on the maps, & create the enemy specific skills they will use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.