April Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I kind of missed my goals so my new goals are:
    • Create a plugin for input customization (done)
    • Create a hotbar plugin to use items and equip weapons on the map scene
    • Create a hotbar plugin to use skills on the map scene
    Lets have faith '-'

Marsigne and Marquise* like this.
  2. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've not updated in awhile, and the month is halfway over, so it's a good time.

I managed to sort out my assets and now I am working on getting everything into Articy instead of a spreadsheet. It is a much easier interface and will help to manage my workflow a lot better. I guess my goal for the rest of the month is to get all of the basics sorted out there and then toss out some temporary maps to get things moving.

3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ugh...I need to post more often on here. Getting behind again. Congrats on all your progress!

4.18 Update:
    -Spent the last couple of days fixing some Chapter 3/4 cutscenes to fix dialogue errors. Mainly it was little things, like references to places that moved, or events that ended up elsewhere. All I had to do was update the location.
    -Then, I playtested most of Chapter 4 (and noted any changes that needed to be made). Got to the final dungeon of that Chapter, then had to go to work.

Marsigne, Shinma and Marquise* like this.
  4. feckyeslife

feckyeslife Sleepy Cat Mom Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    18 April progress-

Welp, RL reared it's head and said "you shall not work on anything unless you want to fail out." So my goals have shifted to completing my contest entry to @fusegu 's micro game contest.

Mapped 25%
    Characters DONE (dlc purchase)
    Eventing 5%

Marsigne, Shinma and Marquise* like this.
  5. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I again had real problems while doing PixelEdit today (or was it yesterday) with both mouse and keyboard doing their way but not mine.
    Despite of it, the Pangofly dragon bite rear view is just missing tail and wings and maybe some collar shades! I might try to finish it tomorrow.

Marsigne and Shinma like this.
  6. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So while I completely failed in my attempt to take a day or two off of my project, I took time off posting it seems. Oops? But yay progress everyone!

Progress of the last few days:
    • planned and implemented the loot drop system for "loot containers". This means that finally, there's a random chance for a tiny delicate vase to drop a gambeson or other things, the very situation that inspired the gameplay portion of the project in the first place. Goal completed!
    • wrote down a list of categories for icons which I'll need for later. New goal --> Goal completed!
    • reworked, planned and implemented the "battle end" common event (which handles all the things after combat I might end up forgetting setting up manually). This included setting up the basic events for setting "checkpoints" upon reaching "Points of Rest" (PoR) and enemy encounters. New goal --> Goal completed!
    Since my last set of goals is already complete and I forgot to post my current one, my updated goals list only contains the one remaining goal from this set.
    Updated goals:
    • plan the systems needed for PoR in more detail (implementation is a Nice To Have)

7. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Couldn't really work on RPG Making in the last few days because of the concurrence of (a) having to work on completing multiple essays for a job application, and (b) still playing Persona 5 at night (at the end of the third dungeon now).

That said, in between, I did jot down some ideas for revamping the Elementalist's equipped skill list, which I wasn't particularly happy with. And the application is done now, so I should have a bit more time now.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Marsigne, Lantiz and Marquise* like this.
  8. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Progress;
    Kinda faced a fear today instead to go party, also finished the heel of my prototype and taught some lesson (I hope) to that Cortana spy!

@Chiara I would like to take some downtime like yours with 3 accomplishments a day.

Marsigne likes this.
  9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    These last few days have been a nightmare. I've read everyone's posts and I'm pleased to see so many people making progress in different ways. Congrats all.

My update:
    I've been unable to find the time to do anything, so zero progress.
    Starting on Sunday, I shall be away for a week, during which time I won't have my laptop to work on, so apart from maybe doing some thinking and paper/pen planning, there won't be any progress then either.

10. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Kes *cybermental hugs*

Marsigne likes this.
  11. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes Sometimes a break, even if forced, is a great way to recharge those creative vibes!

12. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just created a hotbar for items and weapons on the map scene.
    It allows the player to equip weapons or use items from the hotbar using the mouse, keyboard or controller.
    Also, it lists the amount of items and weapons the party has.

I still need to think about displaying the current weapon icon, and about using items on opponents or tiles

I also did rewrite and improve a lot of old code, this part I'm in is actually an overhaul of the roguelike system
    It's impressive how much better we get after some practice... it looks much better and organized now.

13. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #5
    Immortal Sins:
    -Fixing bugs.
    -Found out how to add tooltips on the launcher.
    -Cleaning up the code a bit.
    -Fixed the same graphical bug I fixed before. Somehow, it broke the TP display when I resized the bars. Really weird...

14. RionFish

RionFish Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    -Try and work out story details while at school Did what I could during that week.
    -Map the first three main areas I've finished three maps and have a fourth that is almost complete!
    -Write opening events and start setting up various needed variable counters I've started this but haven't gotten very far.
    -Sprite at least two characters Still somehow focused on the busts instead of sprites. Why hello, lack of focus.

Marsigne likes this.
  15. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I read everyone's posts but I can't focus on anything about them right now, so have the usual general "Yay" everyone. <3

Today's progress
    (yesterday, I got distracted by adorable crows directly in front of my window and didn't get anything done):
    • did the planning for the Points of Rest, but got restless. Implementation can wait. So: Goal completed!
    As I said, I've grown increasingly restless, I really need to do some graphical work, so my new goal:
    • do some studies, scribbles and things to figure out the setting/mood/colour scheme of area 1
    Only one goal instead of a set this time, since I expect this one to last me a few weeks.

Marsigne and Shinma like this.
  16. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello guys and gals

I just finished the item/weapons hotbar, it can't use items on enemies or tiles yet... I'll try to add the tile function here, but the enemies function will be left for later...
    Been thinking about the combat system, I think the roguelike system was not that funny, so I'm thinking in changing it
    Also added a window to display the currently equiped weapons, including duals.

What's lacking:
    • Create a plugin for input customization (done)
    • Create a hotbar plugin to use items and equip weapons on the map scene (done)
    • Create a hotbar plugin to use skills on the map scene

Marsigne likes this.
  17. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Awww.... Received a notice to inspect my apartment for salubrity and vermin... I must make sure it is clean and I am certain to be one week scrubbing and getting all my stuff packed again *sigh* One day I gonna start to LIVE in that apartment again I do hope!

So I might do intermittent pangofly and vacuum cleaning!

Marsigne likes this.
  18. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Lantiz : Yay that you've done that but I'm not sure I understand, what is a 'hotbar' plugin?
    @Marquise* : Hope it won't be too stressful for you and the cats. D:

Today's progress:
    • prepared some reference material, tried to edit some of it to achieve a certain mood but nothing really works yet (it's too early for that anyway)
    • prepared a file for thumbnail sketching and had some fun crating perspective grids (I can't believe it either)
    • tried to do some sketching but noticed how very rusty I have become so the results are too random and/or boring to be of use
    Seems like I need to do some more practice first before I can actually continue. D: Once more has my life become a JRPG, so I'm off to grind some more.

19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Just a flying visit - life has been very full these last couple of days.

I shall be away for a break for a week, so see you all at the end of the month. Enjoy yourselves!

Marsigne, Shinma and Chiara like this.
  20. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chiara Thanks.
    A hotbar is something most MMORPGs use. There are icons shown on the screen and you can select between them, when you activate an icon it performs an action.
    For instance, if I activate a potion icon, I can consume that potion without opening a menu. It can also display the amount of potions I still have, in that case.

Here it is:
    Hotbar.png

About my update, I'm stuck. I can't think about a funny combat system to use in my game, therefore I'm not sure if I'll need the skill hotbar.

I want it to have turn based moviment similar to roguelike games and I want the combat to happen on the map. But, I'm not sure if just hitting things and avoinding damage is the way to go.
    The game is going to be an exploration game, fighting is not going to be the focus here but I need something to keep the player's interest.

Marsigne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.