Mikemuk01

Black Mike
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have downloaded the Arc Engine and installed it in VX Ace but cannot figure out how to make it work.  Where is the Arc Menu?  What and where is the Physics Engine?  I want to make a side scrolling platformer similar to the demo that comes with the Arc Engine, but haven't been able to even start.  I just want to make my character jump over obstacles.  Any help, in layman's terms please, would be gratefully accepted.  Thank you

tearsofthenight

Evil Sorcerer/Mystic Key Stealer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Launch the game, put in your map number = EX map001 then red squares indicate solid material fall below that its game over.

Mikemuk01

Black Mike
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
When I launch the game I can only play it. There is no place to enter anything

Esrever

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I believe the RGSSx Script Support forum is the better place for this thread. I've no advice here really, but I can provide you with some links that may or may not prove helpful.

Some contact info for Khas, the script creator.

Arc Engine related threads:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I launch the game I can only play it. There is no place to enter anything
You need to open it in the editor, not clicking the game.exe
And the instructions are usually inside the scripts in the script editor.

If you're not familiar with the script editor, then I suggest making a learning project and work through the tutorials first - 99% of all scripts require the user to be familiar with the default engine, and changing it to a platformer without knowing the editor options is very difficult...

If you haven't worked with RM before and just want to make a platformer game, you'll be a lot better off with a maker that is dedicated to make platformer games.

Esrever

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you haven't worked with RM before and just want to make a platformer game, you'll be a lot better off with a maker that is dedicated to make platformer games.
A piece of software likely more suited for the needs of a platformer might be IG Maker (Indie Game Maker), which is another product sold by Degica/RPGMakerWeb. If you go to the page I linked, you'll see examples of games created with the software under screenshots about midway through the page.

Mikemuk01

Black Mike
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for the comments and advice. I have some limited scripting experience. I installed and used the Awesome Lighting Effects script in a game. I'm very surprised that there can be powerful and useful scripts offered without simple plain English instructions on how to use them.

Esrever

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Truthfully I am not as well versed in RGSS scripting as I wish I were, but generally speaking, good code should explain itself to those with a familiarity with the language. This is why you may on occasion see scripts provided with little to no instruction or commenting. Some of the better and commonly used scripts used are fairly easy to put into place with a simple copy+paste. They are then modified to suit your needs in such ways as modifying certain variables, commenting out unnecessary portions, and/or simply excluding scripts entirely to suit your needs. It's not something one should expect unfortunately.

If you plan on using RPG Maker for an extensive project which you'd think requires customization via scripting to reach what you've envisioned, then finding yourself familiar with Ruby and the syntax of RGSS specifically will surely help you out tremendously in the long run not only with creating your own scripts, but with aiding you in a better understanding of how scripts made by others work as well.

EDIT: As a side note, if interested in learning how to utilize the scripting language used in the RPG Maker series, more specifically RGSS3 for RPG Maker VX Ace, Trihan has a excellent guide to get you up and running. It's located alongside many other examples and resources to learn from in the Learning Ruby and RGSSx section.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikemuk01

Black Mike
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks again for your comments, and your patience. I'll follow those links and see what I can learn.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm just so close to replacing LUK with a different stat, maybe DEX but we'll see.
Slapped together a title screen and working on some dungeon clutter + portraits for Dubhghaill and Einar. Usual CW for minor body horror wrt Einar
QVLJIgD.png

OaPcYUy.png

r55FiUJ.png

EIgO94y.png
cT1V4nb.png
>studying for months for an exam
>does exam
>waits 3 months for the results to come out
>me trying to login, incorrect password
>I get recovery password
>me trying to login, incorrect password

What the heck. As a son of a Karen, I'm going to file a few complaints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jzu1999