Are non-Steam users being ignored?

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Morpheus, Jul 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Morpheus

Morpheus Graphic Designer Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    While I certainly understand the need to expand their product to a wider audience, I feel like non-Steam users are being jibbed. There hasn't been a sale on any store products in what feels like a year while the steam clients get discounts on everything monthly. This wouldn't be a problem if we could purchase the graphics/Sounds DLC via steam and use them with the store version but that's not possible. Right now, Steam users get 60-80% off of EVERYTHING including the programs themselves while in the online store everything is full price.
    I do not own the steam versions and have purchased several of the programs years before they arrived on Steam and have only seen one or two sales. Please, put the store items on sale for the non-Steam users atleast when you put them on sale on steam. Thank you.

Orb likes this.
  2. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Steam is a Community and you mayhaps contribute to said software, while you develop your own thing, with your own things?
    I'm not sure anymore.
    Nobody really ever uses my things I contribute.
    I'm in the hayfield this summer before it gets too hot out...
    I'm just waiting for my ride, every day.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    there have been sales on this store, they just aren't as often as steam sales - and they never have been as often.

djDarkX likes this.
  4. Morpheus

Morpheus Graphic Designer Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm honestly not sure what you are saying.

That's my argument, though. I don't think it's very fair I have to wait for the one sale a year to buy their addons of which they get full profit from unlike steam when steam gets monthly sales on all the addons. I've been waiting for a very long time now for their products to go on sale but it probably won't be on sale again until Christmas. I want to buy their addons but quite frankly they aren't worth it at full price and they're never on sale.

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

fiddlesticks likes this.
  6. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly, there has been several sales the last few months. I've actually been surprised by how many sales they had this year. 2017 is a great year for RPG Making. Also, honestly, I like paying the more expensive prices, if I have the money, to support the resource pack makers since, as I had heard about it last year or so, Steam gives diddly for anything sold, especially during their sales. At least when being sold in the web store, they get paid more. Again, this was stated by someone I know sometime last year or in late 2015, but it find it hard to believe much has changed with Steam in that regard.

Susan likes this.
  7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On steam, or on the RMWeb store?

I agree, there are sales for steam programs and DLC far more often than in the store. I have the Steam version of MV but I hate the way Steam messes up my computer, so I have no plans to ever install it again. I'd like to see sales run in both places, on the same products, at the same time. I'd much prefer to buy from the web store, where, as Morpheus says, a whole lot more of the sale goes to Degica and the artists.

The Stranger and Orb like this.
  8. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I meant on the web store. Sorry, should have made that a bit clearer.

fiddlesticks likes this.
  9. Orb

Orb Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I had the exact same thought when the summer offers on steam came up. There must be a valid reason other than deribelately ignoring non-steam users, perhaps Steam has more coverage and gets to more people than the traditional store? Whatever the case might be, it wouldn't hurt to get the same offers here as well

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    fiddlesticks and The Stranger like this.
  10. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    We used to get more sales and giveaways before things were available on Steam. I kind of feel like there's a certain amount of monetary leeway that any one pack can give and Steam keeps using it all up on their arbitrary and too deeply cutting sales.

11. BadMinotaur

BadMinotaur You can do it! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This seems likely to me; I've heard from other devs that Steam tends to "suggest" sales in a heavy-handed manner, and some devs are scared to turn down their suggestions for fear of losing clout with the platform. Now, I think Kadokawa is probably in a better position than some indie dev to pick and choose when they have sales, but it's something to consider.

The Stranger likes this.
  12. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Steam sales are more frequent than stock sales, but if you unify the steam sales and stock sales, then the only point I would see in having products on Steam would be the publicity it gains during sales. I agree though that it's more logical to unify the sales, because if someone buys the things here, then they'll receive full money instead of money-Steam's pay.

However, I can turn it the other way around and say something that stock users don't probably realize, and that is that Steam users don't have every DLC available. They have most of them, but not all of them.

djDarkX likes this.
  13. Cloned

Cloned Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Morpheus has a good point, I monitored the rpg maker store for 2 months waiting for a sale until one day Steam had a quick sale (Just before the summer sale this year) where I picked up the game for slightly cheaper then normal. I wonder why this is?

14. Karlski

Karlski Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I paid £21.34 ($27.49) for RMMV through steam 2 weeks ago. Moments later I went on to the RM Web store and the game was still advertised there at $80 (full price and includes Steam version)

I clicked through the link expecting to be re-rerouted to the Steam Store, but no. It also stated that it includes the Steam version, but low and behold it's not anywhere near the price on Steam

Why on earth would you advertise 'includes the Steam version!' as some kind of bonus, but then forget to mention that it's currently 55% cheaper if you buy through Steam directly...

15. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Karlski What is meant by that is that the product code for purchasing the stand-alone version also doubles as a Steam activation key. Not everyone likes to use the Steam version. It's been advertised this way from first release. Past makers did not have a dual product key.

16. Karlski

Karlski Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Is there a benefit to getting the standalone, or will you still get for $80 what you could've got for $27.34? - Selling for full price on the website, but massively discounted on Steam is just preying on the unfortunate.

Hopefully i'm mistaken and the Standalone + Steam key via RMWeb was also $27.34....

17. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Karlski Sales on the steam site are different than sales on this site, but they both happen - but usually at different times. Sometimes you get it here from Degica at 60% off while still having to pay the full price of 80$ on steam at the same time.

The advantage of purchasing here is that you can install the program without installing the steam client if you want - when purchasing on steam that is impossible.

fiddlesticks and Karlski like this.
  18. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just because you can get something for less than it's original cost doesn't mean that it's value is actually at the lower cost and that Degica is trying to con you out of the price difference. Steam happens to have a sale on it's version right now. If you're patient it'll be on sale here eventually. But that will still be a sales price, where you get the product for far less than it's actually worth. It has to do with how running a business works when selling things in large quantities, which is a rather involved and I don't care to explain. They have entire college degrees on this stuff. If you'd rather not get into the depths of business, just trust me, the actual cost of the program is $80 for a very good reason and it's not because Degica's trying to be greedy.

I happen to think that the non Steam version is better, others like the Steam version. There are two differences, on Steam it requires you to have Steam open to run and it handles the resources bought a little different. This is really just how you access them in the first place because Steam requires it to be DLC, once you have them everything else is the same.

FYI, the copy you can buy from Steam does not have the standalone version included.

fiddlesticks and Karlski like this.
  19. amycyrus

amycyrus Warper Member

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    It's not suitable for this subject but anyone here loves Netflix like me?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017
    fiddlesticks likes this.
  20. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @amycyrus

Please do not hijack a topic for unrelated parts

I also removed the link, and you should know that I was considering to ban you for being a spambot due to that post.