Are people still making/playing/uploading RPGMaker VXA games?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by OM3GA-Z3RO, Dec 17, 2015.

1. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

Since that the awesome MV is out and making great games while making it easy to use, I am getting a nervous feeling that VX Ace isn't that popular anymore, am I just paranoid? My team is still working on a huge project on VX Ace and we can't really just transfer it all into MV, what are your thoughts about this? You guys still using VX Ace or have you all completely switched to MV?

2. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think people will make games on whatever they have.  Some people have VX Ace and just don't have the funds (or see the point) to jumping into MV.  Some people just prefer other engines over others for various reasons.  I can see games continuing to be made on any number of different engines, so long as the software is available and someone wants to do it.

I, personally, am currently working on two versions of the same project.  I got all of the VX Ace Project finally transferred over into MV and have just started working on both versions of the same game.  Why?  Because it's fun.  I can do different things with MV than I could with Ace, and vice versa.  I find each version to be superior in different ways.  It just is what it is.

Allusion and AwesomeCool like this.
  3. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i'm still using ace and playing games made on the engine i just moved one of my projects to mv cuase of easier plug in management and more avalibility for what i need plug in wise, i prefer ace but MV is starting to grow on me

4. Zetu

Zetu Level 99 Stabomancer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    People who started their project on Ace aren't just going to drop everything. In that same respect, MV hasn't been out long enough for some of the larger games to come out yet.

Lux Fortuna likes this.
  5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are commercial games being published up to today that are made with RMXP, which is two more versions back compared to RMVXA.

Of course the number of people using VXA will drop, especially because of the additional deployment options of MV, but it will be a long time before it's completely gone.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  6. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    While there are some arguments for people stoping deveoping games on VXa, I don't get why people would stop playing games made with VXa.

It's not like VXa games simply become worse from night to day just because of the MV release. The engine used doesn't matter as long the game is good.

jonthefox, Mihel, Allusion and 2 others like this.
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was going to port my current project to MV, but there just aren't the resources yet to do what I want, so I'm continuing in Ace.  What happens with the next project (a long way off yet) will depend on what plugins and other resources have arrived, together with things like sorting out the lag problem with music and other bugs.

nio kasgami, Allusion and AwesomeCool like this.
  8. GethN7

GethN7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Still plan to make my game and any future projects in VX Ace because MV isn't as fit for my needs at present. If stability improvement and a lot of the scripts I use port over, that might change though.

byronclaude, Mihel and AwesomeCool like this.
  9. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm using VXA still, even though Javascript is a lot easier for me than Ruby, to the point I probably could write my own plugins if I took a few weeks to shake some of the rust off., but I already did so much work in VXA, I might go MV for my next project but even then I'm not sure.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  10. Jaymonius

Jaymonius Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I'm sticking with VX Ace until I find a good opening and a good enough reason for me to move to MV. The chara-sprites bother me a little, if I start seeing FSM styled sprites in MV format, then I'll be a little more edging toward the program, but there's a lot of other factors that keep me away from the program at the current time.

Plus, I'm in the middle of a project on VX Ace, I don't wanna make anything new at the moment.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  11. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

Not only I'm still playing Ace games, I'm also playing VX and XP games regularly. Sometimes I also like to play old 2003 and 2000 games.

byronclaude likes this.
  12. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've started two new projects in Ace just a week ago. Not abandoning it any time soon.

13. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Still using Ace. There's just too much awesome resources available for Ace, and MV is too new to be able to match that at the moment. Plus I can't afford to buy another maker so soon :)

14. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    People are still using RM2K... so probably.

15. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm stuck with Ace for now. A launcher that I wrote for Immortal Sins was designed with the engine in mind (in combination with a few scripts to read arguments), so it may not work for now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  16. Dungeonmind

Dungeonmind Lvl 4000 Humanoid Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes without a doubt, people will be making games on rpg maker vx ace parallel to rpg maker mv. There are numerous reasons one may not want to move on to MV.

Maybe one does not like the new art style for the characters, or maybe there are more available scripts for ace to suit there needs. Also, maybe someone has more purchased assets for ace. I know one reason for me is there is not enough unique tilesets for MV right now, like store products which I'm sure there will be in the future, we can only hope. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  17. byronclaude

byronclaude Master of all things... (except the things I am no Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For me, Ace, XP, and rm2k3 are all great engines for different reasons.  VX itself (not ace) is a little mysterious for me due to little exposure but I may even use it one day for a small project.

Currently MV is still laggy (despite updates), and thus has zero value for me.  I wish I had not bought it.

18. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

Glad to see some people are still doing Ace, guess my paranoia got the better of me, which makes me more enthusiastic on working the project and then upload it for you all to enjoy.

19. Sated

Sated puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm still using RM2K3 so...

And people who won't play a game because of the engine its made in are being silly.

20. Tigersong

Tigersong Furry Fellow Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What Sated said. It's not as if R.P.G Maker was for console games, where the hardware gets rarer as time goes on, so games made with it can really have an infinite lifespan. Moreso, I think, if said games are offered for free.