Not open for further replies.

johnbush

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
IGM
I' m into video games and really interested in designing so I was wondering are rpg makers (downloads from the web) legal?

Last edited by a moderator:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

I don't feel it's the best place for it, but I'm not sure where the best place is.

To answer your question, if you legitimately purchase the software, yes it's "legal". If you download it for free somewhere, no, you are using a pirated copy and that is not legal.

punchybot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What!? You have RPG Maker? Well this is the police and I am coming for you!

JK. If you purchased the software legally, then yes it is legal, like @mlogan said. Games are legal too without having to purchase the engine, however that is treated like any other game.

A commercial game (an RPG Maker game that is being sold for money) needs to be obtained through the proper channel. Pirating it is the same as pirating any other game out there. If the game is free, then no worries.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the game is free, then no worries.
wrong

even for making a free game and distributing it you are required to have purchased the engine legally.
And you will be banned from here if you're found to have pirated the engine, no matter if you made a game or not at all.

punchybot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wrong

even for making a free game and distributing it you are required to have purchased the engine legally.
And you will be banned from here if you're found to have pirated the engine, no matter if you made a game or not at all.
Well, when you put it in that context, yeah.

If you go on here and download a game for free that was made with RPG Maker, that is not illegal. That was what I was talking about. Not using an illegally downloaded maker.

I'm miffed you quoted a sentence in a paragraph and essentially took it out of context in that way rather than cordially clarifying it.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
actually it's not taken out of context. The way Andar interpreted it is the way I interpreted it. It seemed like you were saying if the game is free, it doesn't matter where you get it from. And pirated games are usually free, if you go to the right source.

LTN Games

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It amazing how people interpret so differently eh? I actually read it the other way around, maybe it's because I see what he was trying to convey, when I initially seen this part

A commercial game (an RPG Maker game that is being sold for money) needs to be obtained through the proper channel.
I see that he is saying don't pirate games because it's illegal, this was the core of what he was attempting to say. The next bit is where I can see how someone else could interpret so differently.

Pirating it is the same as pirating any other game out there. If the game is free, then no worries.
But to me he's saying pirating is still the same as any other kind of pirating, it's illegal. If the game is free however then no worries because it's not pirating, in other words, if the game had no price tag in the official markets then no worries. Interesting to see how others interpreted that though.

punchybot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is getting kinda twisty, and I'm sorry if I communicated poorly.

A commercial game (an RPG Maker game that is being sold for money) needs to be obtained through the proper channel. Pirating it is the same as pirating any other game out there. If the game is free, then no worries.
This is what I said. Basically, buy games and support creators. Don't pirate. Free games you won't need to worry about. It's up to the person downloading the game to make sure they aren't downloading a pirated game.

wrong

This what was quoted and responded to. See the bolded? See what was being talked about? I was never saying a pirated engine was okay to use, and even if it seemed that way, the way this is communicated is flat very unfriendly way to talk to people. Hence miffed. I'm assuming he thought I was talking about the engine exclusively, and not games made with the engine.

Let's swing this back to the topic.

Purchased RPG Maker = legal to use and distribute games, free or otherwise as long as everything you put outside it is also legal to use and distribute .

Free RPG Maker you found on some skeeby site = illegal

Free RPG Maker game someone released on here or otherwise = legal to download and play (it is up to the uploader to make sure they are not distributing illegal content)

Commercial Game that you buy from an outlet = legal

Commercial Game you found for free on skeeby site = illegal

Game released by a pirated RPG Maker = well, this is a gray area in my book but I would take it that the downloader isn't responsible for making sure the game comes from a legally downloaded engine. Either way, support the content and community you love to be a part of. Do not pirate ever.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@punchybot there is one thing you're missing here.

This site is NOT a fansite, it's the official website of the company that distributes the makers internationally, and as such it is under corporate law, not civil law like most of the fansites.
As such there are a number of additional aspects to keep in mind.

It doesn't matter how you meant that sentence - and I never even targeted my answer to you personally.
The problem was that (as others have shown as well) that there are some people who will misinterpret your wording, and it needed to be stated that such a interpretation is wrong - because otherwise there could be legal problems if it even looks like Degica would ignore such cases.

And yes, it is a fact and experience that shows people would argue like that - they already have in the past.
Both Shaz and I have seen that too often in the past years (we both have been moderators here and had to handle such discussions personally), and I wanted to prevent any such discussion by adding that specific statement to your answer.

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
This site is NOT a fansite, it's the official website of the company that distributes the makers internationally, and as such it is under corporate law, not civil law like most of the fansites.
Slightly off-topic, be aware about fangames and resources. You may be new and not aware, but Nintendo put the smack-down on anyone wanting to make PokeMon fangames by actively shutting down development for the 'Pokemon Essentials' pack; it contains code and resources they owned.

Sega doesn't mind Sonic fangames and think they're great P.R. But avoid rips, especially from Ragnarok Online by GRAVITY Co., Ltd. (They WILL go after you). So be wary of some sites. Hrm... a thread on what resources to avoid might be nice.

But when you purchase the license for an RPGMaker engine (XP, VXAce, MV), you also have the license to use that engine's RTP pack. Likewise, you can alter/edit your legally obtained RTP Pack content (aka franken-spriting :D ).

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
\\//_ Live long and par-tay while you make your RPG games.

Please note that I do not support illegal versions. For over a decade, nearly all my demos have included a variation of the following notification:

WARNING.png

bulmabriefs144

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I' m into video games and really interested in designing so I was wondering are rpg makers (downloads from the web) legal?
There's an interesting legal case for you to read. Type in "Nintendo vs Game Genie court case". The long and short of it is Game Genie produced a game cheat system that modded strings of code (I've used game genie, but I honestly can't tell you how it works) on Nintendo games. Nintendo sued them. The court ruled that they were not altering the games themselves, and they were not using them to make new games. In other words, if something is a mod and designed to hook onto a game system, it can't permanently change the game, and it can't be used to make a new game from the old (like say Final Fantasy VI: Eternal Crystals was made from Final Fantasy VI).

Strictly speaking, RpgMaker is usually the opposite issue. They are not using the game at all (unless someone decides to rip sprites or vocal music or something). So if you're not doing that, usually you're in grey area if you're using an unofficial version, and if you've bought the official version, I can't say why you'd think it's not legal, unless you're using an excess of "borrowed" sprites. I may be wrong.

For the record, I use the unofficial version (1.08) of RpgMaker 2003, but I do it for a specific reason. I'm able to use DynRPG and other patches on that, but not the official version. Strictly speaking, though, I'm not sure there's enough of it left to be considered RpgMaker 2003 for copyright purposes.
I replaced the harmony.dll with Disharmony to run certain sound files, then replaced it back with another version of Harmony.dll (which was in caps like that, and seemed to run with the stuff I had while harmony didn't). I replaced RPG2003.exe with David (it's a system replace that slightly alters the maximums of variables and text), I replaced the RPG_RT.exe with BetterAEP (allows custom startup, with its own menu). I replaced the logo screen using splash screen editors (still has EB in the bottom right, but now also has my logo), replaced the EXFONT, I replaced the icon (didn't really work the way I wanted, but now there's no icon shown on the game). I repatched the text. I also have a DynRPG patch to disable the game from allowing auto-battle, and a plugin to redo the Direct Draw to OpenGL. Only thing intact really is the ldb, the lmt, and the icon and basic format on the original maker. Is it still the unofficial version, or is it now so unofficial as to be considered a custom version? Does that make it more legal or less? I don't know the answer. :headshake:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

I can't be sure at all about my engine. But I am sure that if you bought an official copy of RpgMaker, and are not using ripped sprites or someone else's songs, you're pretty much fine.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
usually you're in grey area if you're using an unofficial version,
no, that is not a grey area because none of the RMs ever was a free software, you're always required to purchased them to be allowed to use them. The "unofficial" versions always were pirated without licence.

bulmabriefs144

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Ah. Well, anyway.

I did purchase the official RM2k3 software, but ultimately did not use the official version. Because modding. I figure the grey/black area is on me, not the person downloading however.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've seen a few threads like this over the last few weeks. Honestly I think these are people creating accounts to start a discussion that they don't care about. This member is brand new and has not been back since Wednesday last week. I suggest that this be closed. Perhaps find out what IP they are logging in from? I honestly think there are a few people here just to create havoc.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
It was a spam account and was banned.

Closing this as the thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is it okay to hug a tree? :/
The new intro Logo for my videos.

I speed it up, the one I use to use was to long.
The workweek is now over. Now I can work on my GamZzzzzZzzzzZzzzZzzZz....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheHardDrug