are rpgs with only one Hero lame ?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Tobay, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Tobay

Tobay hello Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    are rpgs with only one Hero lame

2. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Depends on the wanted Gameplay.

A one Hero Party does not mean that the Hero needs to be alone in that Game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  3. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Generally speaking, it's pretty hard to make a turn based rpg with a single controllable character interesting. There are very few that succeded with that formula.

It would be needed some really nice twists to make it work.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to Game Mechanics Design. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Site feedback is not for feedback on your ideas, but for feedbak on this website's structure

As for your question: it completely depends on the gameplay.

Action-RPGs are 99% one hero, because the AI for controlling several heroes in ARPG are extremely difficult to do.

Regular western RPGs are usually party-based, because you need a group to have all classes/all skills needed to solve the game.

the more story-based JRPGs can go either way depending on how the story works out.

And so on.

5. Traveling Bard

Traveling Bard The Bard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Dragon Quest 1 had a single hero. It was a bit of a grind but still had some good points, mainly in the unique items department. The only problem that I've had with a single hero game is it limits the ability to inflict the kind of traditional debuff spells/states like paralyze, sleep, death, petrify, etc. The last two would mean game over unless you held some item that auto restored you, while the first two become rather annoying and much more detrimental than the designer might have originally thought. Moral of the story, you might have to get creative with your states otherwise it'll be a higher damaging move or a poison attack...which gets kind of old over time. If done well, a single hero game can be simplistic yet interesting + fun to play. To echo Victor's point, it would need some really nice twists to make it work. Just my two cents. 

RachelTheSeeker and AwesomeCool like this.
  6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I personally think that you would need to go to an ABS or something like that to make a game with one hero work well. I've yet to play a game that had one hero and was turn based that I liked the combat in the game at all.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  7. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The only good turn based one hero system I found was Fate/Stay extra and it had to have a very unique battle system to make it work.

You have to be really creative with one hero games, as it needs alot of work to make the game still have strategy and lazy fixes won't really help (ex: increasing a players actions by 4 per turn will still be boring as each action will come from the same move pool).

RachelTheSeeker likes this.
  8. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have an idea for one but as others have said, it relies on an unique battle system.

9. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This question reminded me of the rpg "Legend of Grimrock", which is a party of 4 first person dungeon crawler. I mention this because after you beat the game, you get an option to go through the dungeon with a single special character, a certain Mr.T. This party of one was plenty of fun too. I think the one hero idea worked well here due to two things:

1. On your first play through there's lots of flavor text about Mr. T, who is a guy who almost made it through the dungeon. He was so close! You will feel so bad for him that you will want to have a shot to get him out alive. So the developers sets up through the story a strong emotional incentive to play this character.

2. Keep in mind the dungeon was designed for a party of 4. So it would seem impossible for a party of 1 to make it through. However since you already played through the game once you are an expert of the dungeon. So going a second time with just 1 character (ok, he was more powerful but still) makes it a fun challenge.

Traveling Bard likes this.
  10. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Also, Legend of Grimrock wasn't turn based, which probably helped. You could do the two step of death and kill all monsters that way.

Probably the best single actor RPG game I ever played was Quest for Glory, and part of what made it work was the fact that in most of the games the battles were optional if you had the skills to get around them.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  11. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Maybe it's just me, but when I hear "one hero" I'm thinking of the clichéd games with one hero who leads the party. For me it depends. I prefer when all people have a stake in the outcome, versus the legendary hero who only helps the party to defeat the big bad evil, but as others have said, it really depends on how it's written, and whether or not the game is fun to play.

For the record, Dragon Warrior was fun for its time (one hero party), but quite boring by today's standards. Unless it's an action rpg, I prefer a multi-person party with at least 3 or 4 characters to join.

12. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    if i played a turn based rpg with one hero id want the hero to have choices on what skills you get to allow you to customize the charecter to your play style. also, maybe the charecter could also sometimes summon creatures to help for a couple turns

also, branching classes to open up different movepools

13. Dumeka

Dumeka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    It always depends on the Approach.

You can create different classes and let the hero Switch between classes to make the game more unique and give the Player more to do  and have guest characters join you in exploration and fight like Fantasy Life did as example.

You could even have heroes for hire with set classes that your main hero can hire for a while (like Mercs) to help him/her in fights.

In both cases you Focus on the main hero but have guests and npcs that assist him in his/her journey.

Both approaches give more possibilities and unique Party Setups to the Player and add to the fun.

As long all this gets supported by a well written and fun Story, the Player will be happy because they will have more to experience through the game. :)

14. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    no or maybe yes

15. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Even if you have paralysis or sleep effects in a turn based game why not have accessories or armor that has a percentage of prevention against it for your single hero? Even in a fight a person against 5 baddies needs some kind of strategy. Its doable.

16. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

not at all, but the scope of your game will probably be very small.    in any kind of prolonged adventure, it seems both unlikely and uninteresting that the hero would never meet and travel with companions along the way, don't you think?    the only way i could imagine it is if you had the other party members controlled by AI.  but that tends to not be as fun, unless you have a very specific strategic battle system that this is tied into.  

however, for a short game...say the hero is from a local village.  he has to first explore a nearby cave, then he has to go into the forest and get a special sword, and finally he has to go rescue the girl from the evil antagonist's castle.  I could definitely imagine a short game like this (say a few hours long) being fun, interesting,and not needing any player characters other than the main character.   

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2016
  17. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ledgend of Zelda is a one hero rpg that works very well. After all, the series is still popular to this day

Draigon likes this.
  18. BigToastie

BigToastie Veteran Veteran

See I have something similar to this.

I have 1 main playable hero, and multiple 'companions' these are automatically played and have different strengths and weaknesses :)

So 1 Companion may work really well against certain enemies and then completely suck against other ones,.

means you need to use the companions rather than 1 overpowered one, they also compliment your main character in unique ways (this is excluding the multiple skill tree I will be adding eventually) :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2016
  19. Faytless

Faytless recently unemployed Kung Fu Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd have to agree with everyone else as well.. I don't think you should be using the default battle system.  Or at least if you do use it,  mix it up with a plugin or have it stand out from the norm.  Also,  About the companion system.... so basically like FFXIII?

Rayhaku808 likes this.
  20. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've been thinking about making a turned base RPG with its main inspirations from DMC. The player would be able to gain different relics/powers (maybe even transformations), which change the current skill pool. Different powers/relics would provide a different amount of turns (skills from the ifrit mode would be more powerful than the merman mode and cost more turns). So, instead of having an MP, there would simply be Action Slots/Points or something. The ifrit mode might have 8 AS, meanwhile the merman mode might have 14. The player can choose to either use a lot of skills that cost low AS, or save up AS to use a more powerful skill. 

It would be cool if the game had a nice combo system like DMC, like using skills effectively without losing health, or hitting enemies weak points etc. I would probably add something cool too the characters HP, meaning that the player could sacrifice HP Slots in order to fight longer or harder (it would be risky of course). EDIT: The less HP Slots the player currently has, the more damage it will receive (DEF would be decreased). 

The game would of course have other characters than the MC, just not playable characters (villains, allies etc.). Giving players the option to raise and fight alongside pets might be okay though (the player would not control the pet in combat, but instead he/she could give it a "plan" beforehand). 

Wow, I apologize for ranting so much. I guess I really want to make this game haha.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2016