Are the fresh start game dev assets from Humblebundle worth it for MZ?

Crazya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey! I am still new to the forums and forgive me if this is the wrong place. I even used search to see if I could find anyone else's opinion on these. Not sure where I could ask general questions.

I am still extremely new to RPGmaker MZ. I came across the humble bundle for "Fresh start game dev assets," considering I only have 1 "DLC" and another tileset that I bought; I wondered if this pack would be worth buying and easily fit with MZ?

Not sure if anyone has bought it and had more experience with the assets than I have. I understand that some may not fit, depending on what kind of game I am making.

I would love some guidance and advice on this!

Thank you!

Edit:

The ONLY DLC I own:

The Humble bundle I am talking about:

Last edited:

orochi2k

The Mad King of Neolithic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
It's mostly depending on how you value those assets and what you need for your project.

I went there just for some music and animation assets, the rest is just charity :kaojoy:

Crazya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's mostly depending on how you value those assets and what you need for your project.

I went there just for some music and animation assets, the rest is just charity :kaojoy:

That honestly makes sense! I just wasn't sure if they were going to need resizing or anything like that (for tiles) and it doesn't hurt to have music and animations.

Also, that is pretty much what I told myself in my head, "Worse case the rest is charity!"

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it depends on what you want to do. Some of the packs are not designed for use with RPG-Makers, while others are. For example the isometric packs - even with parallax mapping it is rather difficult to make them fit into the RM-Grid (which is only 2D).
On the other hand several packs had been made for the RPG-Makers and can be used as-is if you are interested in them.

And next time, it helps if you give a link to a DLC you are talking about... ;-)

Crazya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
it depends on what you want to do. Some of the packs are not designed for use with RPG-Makers, while others are. For example the isometric packs - even with parallax mapping it is rather difficult to make them fit into the RM-Grid (which is only 2D).
On the other hand several packs had been made for the RPG-Makers and can be used as-is if you are interested in them.

And next time, it helps if you give a link to a DLC you are talking about... ;-)

Ah, that is what I wanted to know! Thank you. I guess I need to look through it and see what could help me in my future projects! Though I am a hoarder so I may just end up keeping everything lol. Though sadly I don't think these are connected to steam so they may not update once bought I think.

oh! I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post links to different websites.

I will edit my post!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
oh! I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post links to different websites.
depends on what the links are for.
humble bundle is usually OK as Degica also sells through humble bundle.
only forbidden are links to competing game engines, and some websites for direct payments

Crazya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
depends on what the links are for.
humble bundle is usually OK as Degica also sells through humble bundle.
only forbidden are links to competing game engines, and some websites for direct payments

Thank you very much! that is really good to know =D. I wouldn't want to break the rules on the first day lol. and thanks for your comments!

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are a good number of useful things in there, depending on your project's needs. The animation packs are all nice-looking, and a lot of the tilesets look good.

The Tyler Warren battlers are well-drawn, but their cartoony style does not match the RTP. However, if you like them, you probably get enough from those packs to completely replace the included enemies.

In my opinion (and this is subjective), what is absolutely not worth getting are music packs (there are several in that bundle and there's a second bundle going on that's entirely music by a certain individual). There is a huge trend for sold game music to be these vague loops of chords and sound with no melodies, which, to me, misses the entire point.

Any game I consider to have good music has memorable melodies (I could hum for you right now any scene from Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc.). I bought one music bundle, have gotten a few more packs in other bundles, and they're all useless to me.

Crazya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are a good number of useful things in there, depending on your project's needs. The animation packs are all nice-looking, and a lot of the tilesets look good.
They do look nice, and that is true. I have to make sure my project fits the needs!
The Tyler Warren battlers are well-drawn, but their cartoony style does not match the RTP. However, if you like them, you probably get enough from those packs to completely replace the included enemies.

Yeah, I agree, lol. I looked through the bundle again, and the cartoony style sadly doesn't match, and I wouldn't like to use it as much even though they are well-drawn!

In my opinion (and this is subjective), what is absolutely not worth getting are music packs (there are several in that bundle and there's a second bundle going on that's entirely music by a certain individual). There is a huge trend for sold game music to be these vague loops of chords and sound with no melodies, which, to me, misses the entire point.

Any game I consider to have good music has memorable melodies (I could hum for you right now any scene from Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc.). I bought one music bundle, have gotten a few more packs in other bundles, and they're all useless to me.

Ah, I know what you mean here! So many games that have good music get stuck in your head- and that is good! I may need to skip the bundle and be picky about what I get. it's worth being picky and making my game appealing, rather than having lots of generic music =0

Thank you! I value your opinion!

Zami77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I took a complete gamble and purchased the max tier. I figured I can probably get some value out of it somewhere, but it's good to hear there's some MZ compatible stuff!

Crazya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I took a complete gamble and purchased the max tier. I figured I can probably get some value out of it somewhere, but it's good to hear there's some MZ compatible stuff!

Nice! since I haven't really taken the gamble. Have you tried any of them? Curious if they are easily compatible with MZ. I have read reviews on some packs that say "MZ" but weren't really and needed to be edited/resized and that is something I have no idea how to do lol

Zami77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Nice! since I haven't really taken the gamble. Have you tried any of them? Curious if they are easily compatible with MZ. I have read reviews on some packs that say "MZ" but weren't really and needed to be edited/resized and that is something I have no idea how to do lol
I haven't just yet, but I think I'm gonna try some out tonight. I'm still very new to RPMZ, only got it about a week ago. Plus, Most of my about 10 hours in it were focused on making a plugin/learning the code base and seeing how it works. I'll report back to see if it's streamlined!

Crazya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I haven't just yet, but I think I'm gonna try some out tonight. I'm still very new to RPMZ, only got it about a week ago. Plus, Most of my about 10 hours in it were focused on making a plugin/learning the code base and seeing how it works. I'll report back to see if it's streamlined!

No problem at all! I am new as well. Welcome to the club. That's awesome that you are learning the code and such. I spent a lot of hours just learning how the system works and going on a shopping spree for tiles to build maps with lol. My bank is crying...

It would be awesome if you let me know how they work out!

Zami77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No problem at all! I am new as well. Welcome to the club. That's awesome that you are learning the code and such. I spent a lot of hours just learning how the system works and going on a shopping spree for tiles to build maps with lol. My bank is crying...

It would be awesome if you let me know how they work out!
Alright, I messed around with it a bit and it seems to be a pretty solid asset pack (keep in mind, I'm an extremely green game dev). A few of the tile packs are designed for RPG Maker with the proper 48x48 size and labeled A-E. Lots of sound effects, battler images, effect animations, music, and one of battle backgrounds. There are a decent chunk of isometric/2.5D assets that I believe are completely incompatible with RPG Maker, but if you ever move to another game engine, they can be useful.

If you're strapped for cash, the one-dollar tier might be worth it for the hospital tiles and gothic castle ones. If you have the money, the Visustella assets seem to be really high quality and are in the upper tiers.

For me, I don't regret dropping 30 bucks as I feel like I have a really good baseline of assets to choose from. I think it's about 6 Gigs of resources if space is an issue at all. If there are any particular ones you're interested in, let me know, and I'll see if the tiles work out.

Crazya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Alright, I messed around with it a bit and it seems to be a pretty solid asset pack (keep in mind, I'm an extremely green game dev). A few of the tile packs are designed for RPG Maker with the proper 48x48 size and labeled A-E. Lots of sound effects, battler images, effect animations, music, and one of battle backgrounds. There are a decent chunk of isometric/2.5D assets that I believe are completely incompatible with RPG Maker, but if you ever move to another game engine, they can be useful.

If you're strapped for cash, the one-dollar tier might be worth it for the hospital tiles and gothic castle ones. If you have the money, the Visustella assets seem to be really high quality and are in the upper tiers.

For me, I don't regret dropping 30 bucks as I feel like I have a really good baseline of assets to choose from. I think it's about 6 Gigs of resources if space is an issue at all. If there are any particular ones you're interested in, let me know, and I'll see if the tiles work out.

Wow, that is a lot! I am pretty green at gam dev as well. But with a deal like this, I just wanted to see if they are worth it. Cause individually they are pricey ;p

I think my biggest concern is if I buy this pack, did you get a download key for them for steam or all from Humble? I am worried if they ever need to get updated.

Also, I assumed Isometric/2.5d doesn't work well for RPGMaker. Also, I can't tell if PVG does either. But it seems like the rest are worth the price.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question! It wasn't really about the money but the quality and how well it worked with MZ since it came out "Recently".

Zami77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wow, that is a lot! I am pretty green at gam dev as well. But with a deal like this, I just wanted to see if they are worth it. Cause individually they are pricey ;p

I think my biggest concern is if I buy this pack, did you get a download key for them for steam or all from Humble? I am worried if they ever need to get updated.

Also, I assumed Isometric/2.5d doesn't work well for RPGMaker. Also, I can't tell if PVG does either. But it seems like the rest are worth the price.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question! It wasn't really about the money but the quality and how well it worked with MZ since it came out "Recently".
There are no steam keys, Humble Bundle has a portal that you can download all the files into zips. So you get the raw files, which is cool. Each folder usually has a readme from the original creator, where you can contact them if they were potentially going to be an update, but I'm not sure if the juice would be worth the squeeze.

Overall, if you're in a similar experience level as me, where you're just entering the game dev world and you're not a full-time artist, I think it's a really great set.

Crazya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are no steam keys, Humble Bundle has a portal that you can download all the files into zips. So you get the raw files, which is cool. Each folder usually has a readme from the original creator, where you can contact them if they were potentially going to be an update, but I'm not sure if the juice would be worth the squeeze.

That's fair enough! I do like how organized Humble bundle is.
Overall, if you're in a similar experience level as me, where you're just entering the game dev world and you're not a full-time artist, I think it's a really great set.

We are at the same level, and I can't draw at all! So I may go for it. Thank you so much again!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Shaz wrote on Tohtori_Jamba's profile.
Hi, you can post a thread for your game in the Completed Games forum. Please check the pinned thread there and make sure you provide all the requested information.
and_remember_tomorrow_more_redesigns_4.jpg

edit: The complete redesign of my player HUD, Time rewind message, mini map and puzzle map.... I'll toss up an animated version later. :LZSexcite:
Oh no my hospital test results are not good......just not good, but at least explains why my health tank more than usual lately. Stupid body. I want a refund on this body. = .=
You know, having a project this big is kinda nice. I can procrastinate working on one part, while still progressing with another part :guffaw:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maks_akil