Are there any "must-have" plugins for RPG Maker MV?

CapeHeart

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By that, I mean plugins that make my job as a developer easier, and the experience of my player relatively better.

RikuRevenge

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would look into the yanfly plugins. plenty that enhance the game :)

magnaangemon01

Miles Montgomery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Following. I'm interested in knowing this, too.

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends on what you want to do in your game. If just in general then I suggest picking up Yanfly's plugins as they give allow you to have a lot more flexibility with the base engine and are generally user friendly.

CapeHeart

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends on what you want to do in your game. If just in general then I suggest picking up Yanfly's plugins as they give allow you to have a lot more flexibility with the base engine and are generally user friendly.
I heard a lot about Yanfly, but at the moment I have no money to buy the pack. Are there any free plugins make by him still avaliable? Or any free alternative for devs like me that got rpg maker at it's cheapest?

RikuRevenge

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I heard a lot about Yanfly, but at the moment I have no money to buy the pack. Are there any free plugins make by him still avaliable? Or any free alternative for devs like me that got rpg maker at it's cheapest?
I believe there is actually a free Yanfly pack if im not mistaken!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yanfly does have a pack of free plugins available which contain the more common core ones.

I have a useful utility plugin called Dude, Where's My Autorun? that helps you identify autorun events in your game that don't have anything set up to turn them off (which will end up causing the game to hang)

CapeHeart

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yanfly does have a pack of free plugins available which contain the more common core ones.

I have a useful utility plugin called Dude, Where's My Autorun? that helps you identify autorun events in your game that don't have anything set up to turn them off (which will end up causing the game to hang)
Thank you!

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah Yanfly has a pretty good collection to help you get started and for free too though the 30 buck one is probably worth it.

That said given how Yanfly is so ... maybe commonly suggested, it's also commonly used so maybe look into tweaking it for a different look to stand out?

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. Quxios's suite of plugins, particularly QPlus, QTouch, QInput, and QMovement.
QPlus is the base plugin that goes above all the others.
QTouch greatly improves mouse/cursor interaction, useful for mobile, desktop, web, and console games. Removes the awful "double click" when moving around the menu using anything other than arrow keys & makes everything more touch-friendly.
QInput lets you use the entire keyboard for whatever reason you choose.
QMovement adds pixel movement and collision, making your movement smoother and more pleasant to look at.

2. SumRndmDde's suite of plugins, particularly SRD_GameUpgrade, SRD_WindowUpgrade, SRD_TitleCommandCustomizer, SRD_TitlePictureImages, SRD_PluginComVariables, SRD_SuperToolsEngine and SRD_HudMaker.
SRD_GameUpgrade helps reconfigure a lot of parameters that are hard-coded into the MV editor.
WindowUpgrade does the same, particularly for windows.
TitleCommandCustomizer and TitlePictureImages are probably the best title screen plugins if you want to make your game look "not like another RPG Maker game", along with MOG's Title Layers plugin.
PluginComVariables is useful if you ever want to use a plugin command with variables (some plugin commands support variables while others don't).
SuperToolsEngine and HudMaker again help distinguish your game from the massive amount of games out there that use the RTP assets.

3. Yanfly's plugins. There's too many to list but they're always a good starting point.

CapeHeart

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks to you all for helping me.

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I guess I can include my actual list of plugins that I use (aside from my own)....
Community Basic - Changes the image cache size, forces WebGL
Community Lighting - Essentially the much improved Terrax Lighting.
Yanfly Self Variables/Switches - Still laughing that this isn't default behavior in MV.
SRD Hudmaker - The easiest and fastest way to design a great looking map interface.
QMovement - The best pixel movement plugin.
QSprite - The best spritesheet manipulation plugin.
Triacontan Character Graphic Extend - Lets you replace event graphics with pics, animations, binds stuff to map, means you don't need spritesheets, etc, etc... It's a crazy plugin.
Moghunter Character Motion - Makes it easy to "breathe life" into static sprites.
Moghunter Weather EX - A strangely OP plugin nobody uses correctly. :LZSwink:
Tsukimi ParticleEmitter - Enables PIXI particles in MV.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
This isn't "what is the essential mod for a game". You're developing a game, not modding a game.

Though, the most obvious answer would be any plugins that improve your game performance. So any kind of tweak that makes it runs faster/smoother probably more essentials than others. Otherwise, do look at Yanfly plugins for extra features just in case you want some.

spec3

blep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Conditional Branch + for me it is absolutely a must have for any project I make.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I should also mention that you don't grab ALL of these and flick them all on.

I have Yanfly's free bundle and I'm slowly starting to put them in as the scope of my game expands(from simple path to boss, to combat dungeons, to towns, etc etc).

Even must haves should probably be looked over and read.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
"The absolute must-have plugins are: [insert list of plugins I use for my game and/or those by my favorite plugin developers here]" ;)

No but seriously, "must have" depends entirely on the type of game you're making. I see a lot of must haves being listed that to me are more take it or leave it than anything else. The only "must have" plugins are the ones where you want to do X, and as luck would have it, they let you do X.

If you're trying to make a game that's pretty much a standard rpgmaker game though, the free set of yanfly plugins are as close to essential as I can think of. Specifically:
  • Yanfly's Core Engine: Straight-up QoL improvements, including the ability to properly resize the game window to something that isn't 1990s 4:3. We live in the widescreen era now
  • Yanfly's Message plugins: Because the default message system and its lack of word wrap is barbaric and awful.
  • Yanfly's Battle Engine + Action Sequence Packs 1 & 2: These turn a lot of control over to you over the flow of battle and are essential if you want to make skills that feel interesting and unique.
  • Yanfly's Save Menu: The default RMMV save system is pretty bad, as the detail they provide about saved games is minimal, you'll see saves from other games in certain situations (online-hosted games I believe), and you can't delete saves without deleting files. Yanfly's Save plugin fixes these issues.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. There are absolutely ZERO "must have" plugins.

Any that you add should be based on a specific need for your game, and others can't suggest that to you without knowing something about your game - is it battle heavy? Quest heavy? How big is it? Are you doing anything really out of the ordinary? Do you need any kind of day/night or time system?

"Generic" plugins that can enhance your game might include Yanfly's message system.

As a developer, I would add that one, a self-variables/switches plugin, and one to save event positions so they don't resent when leaving the map. Any others would be dictated by my game's specific requirements.

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!
Sure Yanfly has nice and cool plugins but is not all of them that fits in the
By that, I mean plugins that make my job as a developer easier, and the experience of my player relatively better.
Without knowing what will be your game, I think there is some of them that will help you for sure, independently what is your game:
YEP_SelfSwVar(I do prefer the version made by triacontanee)
YEP_EventCopier(I do prefer the version made by triacontanee)
YEP_MessageCore
YEP_MoveRouteCore(Maybe some of his extensions)
Besides that, I can't imagine other plugins from him that can fit in ANY TYPE of game.
But there is another one from Chaucer, that I think it's a must:
SceneStabilizer
I can't think of any other. Maybe that GraphicalDesign (that lets you edit all of your windows in your game)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Well this is annoying... After unplugging my phone from my computer (or any USB, it gets stuck in an infinite loop of system notifications indicating 'USB connected/USB disconnected'. It won't allow the screen to stay off as long as the notifications keep pooping up, so the battery charge is suffering. :\
I used to think rpg's were kind of lazy when they recolored enemies or didn't animate them with a million poses. Though after dabbling with game dev I can see that it's a lot more realistic to work like that.
A lot of story outlining I need to finish. Should only take a couple of days.
Signing divorce papers today. Still makes no sense to me that this is a step I need to take to get my hubby the help he needs and deserves :( Life is strange people and sometimes it throws you a curve ball you have no chance in hell of catching
Just laid down a sick nasty new post in the MagiCats! Infinite Sadness thread! Lemme give ya a big ol' hug for it.

bg6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomplay