Are there any "must-have" plugins for RPG Maker MV?

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
There are no "must have" plugins for all games. Plugins are to extend what you can do, or make things a bit easier to do some things. There are reasons not to go mad with having too many plugins in the same game...

On the other hand, I find Yanfly's Message Core very useful indeed. It gives you name boxes, and, more importantly, lets you put a code into a message so that it displays the face of a party member that you choose by position in the party. Instead of a plain message "This door is locked" whichever party member happens to be at the front at the time says it.

Hime's Large Choices and Hidden Choices plugins can be extremely useful, but it depends upon what your game will do. The Large Choices plugin lets the player choose from more than 6 choices, and the Hidden Choices one lets you hide choices, which can make eventing much easier.

I can give you other recommendations, but they may be for features that you are not interested in for your game, or would be unnecessary for it.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Conditional Branch+, Self Switches/Variables, and Event Copier were among my suggestions. But since they were already mentioned...

Hime's Custom Page Conditions.

For nearly two decades, RM users have been asking for more conditions for events. And in that time, the only notable addition was self switches. This plugin allows you to use the standard Conditional Branch command as a way to check whether or not an event should be active. It also works with Troop Event Conditions.

Hope this helps.

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There isn't really anything essential, but there are some sorts of plugins that are really useful. For example, saving the location of events when you leave the map. I'd recommend you start by taking a look at the many plugins that come with the game and the extra free dlc, and see what sounds interesting.

Depends on what you want to do in your game. If just in general then I suggest picking up Yanfly's plugins as they give allow you to have a lot more flexibility with the base engine and are generally user friendly.
I don't think editing the plugin file and writing complicated code in the note box is very user friendly though... and his plugins also don't support Exclude Unused Files, which is one reason I don't use them.

I heard a lot about Yanfly, but at the moment I have no money to buy the pack. Are there any free plugins make by him still avaliable? Or any free alternative for devs like me that got rpg maker at it's cheapest?
There are several Yanfly plugins included with the game in the dlc folder (or as an extra download if you get the standalone version).

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'd start by just building the game, and if there's something you need, then think about plugins. Most of my plugins for example are designed to make life easier because there's a lot of stuff in the editor that would be nice to have (like having more than 4 or 6 choices, being able to hide or disable them, interacting with events using different buttons or different items, etc)

Most of them don't have graphic interfaces so you still have to do the work of coming up with your own designs, but it also means you're not tied to a specific look and feel that needs to then be modified

DarkFrost

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It depends on what you want for your game honestly. I needed stats beyond the original engine, along with some things to make transformations, summons, different item limits, and better stat/leveling control. There's even some stuff that allows multiple hits and such.

I'd just search for different stuff to try and use, but the more commonly tossed around names of plugin creators are Yanfly, Hime, Moghunter, SRD, and Galv. But with RPG Maker MZ on the horizon, plugins for that are in production since they creators of RPG Maker seem to make scripts/plugins from a previous version incompatible with a newer one.

b_princess

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also following to learn more.

I would add if you are new to RPG Maker like me, do NOT do what I did at first and just compulsively add plugins because people said they are great or that you "must" use them. It's a good idea to get familiar with what different kinds of plugins are out there and might be useful for you (and make sure to keep a list somewhere of the plugins and all other resources for liscencing purposes), but depending on what kind of game you want to make it's perfectly possible to get by without many "must-have" plugins.

In other words, go ahead and scope out what plugins are out there, but don't try and mash them all together. (And remember if you put your plugins in the wrong order or add plugins together that don't play well together things might not work.) As you get further along in your project you will get a better sense of what's working and what's not working, what kinds of things you can script with events, what kinds of things you can't and want to be able to do (and there are often plugins out there to fix those things), what kinds of things seem like they would be TECHNICALLY possible to do with events but PROBABLY someone out there has made an easier work-around with a plugin.

And generally, if you're running into something in RPG Maker that's annoying or seems like it's a feature that SHOULD exist, chances are lots of other people have run into that issue and there might be a plugin out there that fixes it.

ananansy

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I add to each project three small ones, not yet mentioned:
  • LB_ConfirmReload (to avoid accidental F5 ruining the game experience),
  • YEP_EventMiniLabel (if not for anything else - like a visible timer over button events - it's great for making introduction to the game), and
  • Disable_mouse_click (because I don't like using mouse, and I dislike that it lowers the feeling of being in a maze. If any of my project was exported for others, I would consider removing it, though.)

AeroPergold

RPG Maker Nutcase
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The most essential free plugin for MV I can wholeheartedly recommend is the Gameus Quest System.

The Gameus Quest System comes with not just a .js file but also a .exe containing a program to manage and build your quests so you don't have to do digging in a mountain of Plugin Manager menus.

Also the quest rewards are automatic (i.e. don't require event programming such as manually adding items and gold). For these reasons it is my favorite quest plugin and is better than what Yanfly or the VisuStella Team could do with their quest systems.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol
WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
D2R save files are so broken. how was the beta test better then the full release. blizzard's last hope crashed and burned.
they're getting no more chances from me.
Anyone going to talk about Chris Pratt Mario?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biscoitovelho