Are there any plans on releasing MV-resolution versions of the DS packs?

Discussion in 'Archeia Resource Packs' started by Little Paw, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Little Paw

Little Paw Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I really like the DS pack and would like to use it in an MV project (I already own it for VX Ace, on Steam) but the resolution for everything isn't right for MV. Plus there's no sideview battlers that match. Is the developer of the DS pack planning on releasing an MV-resolution update, by any chance?

2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't have an official answer, but I know a few things.  Most of the materials from the DS packs were from the DS version of the engine, which we never got.  The standards for those resources are different from what was needed for Ace so Archeia (and perhaps other people too, I don't know) modified them for use in Ace.  To make them work in MV would need more than modification, the scale is just completely wrong.  Now, I'm not familiar with the original DS assets, but I suspect that they would be much, much more difficult to make into MV assets than it was to make them into Ace assets.  I very much doubt that the time and effort involved in that conversion would be worth the money that could be gotten from it.  It'd be hard and not very fun and would probably require a lot of redrawing.  Better to do something new from scratch in those cases.

The reason why you're seeing MV versions of a few of the pixel resources is because the actual original size of those tiles are 16x16.  Times that by 3 and you get MV's resolution.  But with things that are actually 32x32 to begin with, that's a little different.  There's no round number multiple, you don't get square pixels out of an upscale.  It's less noticeable with non-pixel assets, but when you start working with pixels it becomes a glaring mess that needs a redraw to make look good again.  With something non-pixel it's can be easier to clean up, especially if thing started out bigger and were scaled down for Ace's resolution in the first place.

I really like the DS tiles too.  I think you should use that TileD plugin instead, work with them at their native resolution.

AwesomeCool and nio kasgami like this.
  3. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    The Original DS tiles are 24x24 and yeah it had to be remade for Ace to 32x32. There shouldn't be any issues porting them over to MV because the resource standards are more or less the same except 1.5x bigger. I have thought about recreating the pack for MV format but weren't sure about the interest. So far we get more requests on expanding the set rather than an RPG Maker MV port. And when the sprites in high res were tested on MV tiles they seem to work OK as seen here:

[​IMG]

It depends on the company if they think it's worth it and if there's demand. I might put up a poll but right now we're busy with fixing MV bugs.  :rhappy:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
    Name, Lars Ulrika, Liak and 3 others like this.
  4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    They were 24x24?  That's great news, that means they could just be doubled!  You couldn't do that with the new stuff added after the conversion, but that's much better than nothing and it's a good start.

You're right, those sprites look pretty good in MV.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
    taarna23, PixelHeart and AwesomeCool like this.
  5. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

The only problem will be the huge amount of custom resources we made for it, but that's OK, we can live haha.

AwesomeCool and PixelHeart like this.
  6. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    o_O ....i would like this to happen pweez!!! TwwwT I will pay you munnies!!

But seriously, i hope we get these when bug fixing is all wrapped up! <3 

AwesomeCool likes this.
  7. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I like the DS style, too. :) So I would totally buy that.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  8. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Would this be an update or a new pack?

9. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was wondering that too, but then I remembered that I think I got DS off the forum store not the website store - so for my own purposes the question became moot. haha

Either way, DS for MV would certainly be a thing I am interested in. It remains my favourite pack.

10. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

It would be a new pack.

AwesomeCool and Makio-Kuta like this.
  11. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    I definitely like the style of the DS/DS+ tiles and would purchase a double-sized version of the original tiles. I get that a lot of work was put into the ones for Ace, and that's certainly appreciated, I just like the original better!

12. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I love the DS pack as well and would totally be looking forward to see that happening!

13. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ...I just asked about this in another thread, and now I found that you've already anwsered my question here. I apologize.  :guffaw:

Might as well add that I too would buy such a DLC pack. I do own both DS and DS+ packs but I if it were done properly I would gladly pay again.

14. GethN7

GethN7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    For those who just want to use the stock resources of those Packs WITHOUT using the tile resize plugin, use GIMP or Photoshop to resize the character sheets to MV dimensions, add some sharpening if need be to clean up any blurriness, and they should look decent enough.

15. Dungeonmind

Dungeonmind Lvl 4000 Humanoid Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Yes, that and we can still use a bit more stuff for fantasy for the originals. I would be interested in any dlc where an artist puts there hard work into. I say this now because I always end up buying everything anyways lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.